M43 cameras for Professional use?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by cacadepollo, Oct 24, 2015.

1. cacadepollo

cacadepollo Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 6, 2015
    greetings. This topic has probably been discussed before, but I'll ask anyways...

Do any of you specifically use your M43 gear for any professional work?
    If so, for what type of photography?

What were some pros and cons to using M43 gear?

If you have clients, did they ever show any skepticism of you or your cameras ability to perform just as well as other more accepted professional gear?

I've been getting into photography more, and I've actually been trying to see if I can get some paid gigs doing it - whether it be a birthday party, or sports events, or portraits, etc.. But when a lot of people discover that I don't have a Canon or a Nikon, I get the feeling that they don't think my GH4 can do just as good of a job...

Anyways, thanks for your feedback.
  2. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Yes, mostly event photography and business portraits with many of my photos being used in publications.

Pros: small size, less weight and everything associated with those.

Skepticism: Once or twice, and only before they saw the final results. I did a sailing event and printed two photos at about 40" long that were shown next to each other. At an event/party for those that had supported the sailing, I asked one of the people that was on the yacht I was shooting from and had asked about my 'small camera', which photo came from which camera (the other was a D800) and he said he could not tell.

Shooting professionally is a lot more than about your gear or even the quality of your photos. Both will improve over time if you have good business sense, market your services, and know how to work with people.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. bigboysdad

bigboysdad Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 25, 2013
    Sydney/ London
    There's a member on this forum called GRID. Have a look at his posts, that should give you a good an indication as any as to whether m43 can do the job.
  4. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    • Like Like x 1
  5. DaveEP

DaveEP Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 20, 2014
    York, UK
    Yes, both EM1 and GH4. I've done all sorts of shoots with them, not just for portraits, but for brochures and magazines and no one has ever questioned it.

Clients are hiring you based on what you've shown them you can do, thus what gear you have shouldn't be (and hasn't been) a problem.

If they think the gear is what makes the shot then they're are not hiring you, they're in the mode of hiring the camera and you're only there to press the button. Think about it.

If you're concerned, add some black electrical tape over the brand names & logos and if anyone asks why you did that, say it's because you want them to concentrate on the lens and not be distracted by big white lettering.
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2015
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. azmerm

azmerm Mu-43 Regular

Oct 10, 2013
    Alan Mermelstein
    For weddings I use an EM10/15mm and EM1/42.5 Nocticron for the getting ready and detail shots. I use an EM1/35-100mm as my long lens camera until the reception.