M43 camera with permanent ISO dial

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by alextravels, Nov 12, 2017 at 8:38 AM.

1. alextravels

alextravels Mu-43 Regular Subscribing Member

May 16, 2017
    I’m rocking an E-M10.1 now and always find myself needing to change ISO so that I can get a faster shutter speed at a given aperture. I assigned changing ISO/WB to Fn1, but I would really like to know which other m43 bodies have a feature where you can bind a dial to ISO permanently. I think the Pen F can do that, but I’m not sure. I was hoping the GX8 can, but apparently it cannot.

Since I’m on a tight budget, this is more of an exercise than me actually buying a new body just for that feature anytime soon, but if someone knows more about this, please enlighten me :) Thanks for any help!

P.S. I know I can switch to M with Auto-ISO and then changing SS will affect ISO (i think?) but I like using the camera meter in A so I don’t have to fumble with setting ss and aperture all the time for every frame.

2. ionian

ionian Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 20, 2016
    Kent, UK
    Simon
    As far as I know, it's just the PEN-F that has this function at the moment in M43 world - because it has a dedicated exposure compensation dial, you don't need to assign that function to one of the jog wheels.

Like you I assign the function to function 1 on my EM1. I only have ISO set to that button, not wb as well, so there is no danger of me changing the wrong parameter when I'm in a hurry - just a personal preference. I can turn either dial and change the ISO that way.

3. stagor

stagor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 10, 2012
    Netherlands / N.Ireland
    Stan
    All the Panasonic cameras I have had, currently G80, have a dedicated ISO button, press once and adjust ISO with the rear dial, adjust upper limit if you want with the front dial, a half press of the shutter button when you are ready to shoot takes you out of ISO setting back to normal display.

4. RAH

RAH Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Dec 1, 2013
    New Hampshire
    Rich
    I'm not exactly what you mean by "where you can bind a dial to ISO permanently". I mean, if YOU can bind it, it wouldn't be permanent, right? But answering your question as asked, the E-M10 has the same arrangement as the E-M1 where you can bind the fn1 button to ISO/WB. That seems about as permanent as you could want it - I mean, it DOES become a dedicated ISO button once you set fn1 to it that way. I suspect that the E-M5 has the same arrangement as the E-M1 and E-M10, but perhaps not.

5. alextravels

May 16, 2017
    Thanks everyone for your input. Just to be clear, by permanent I mean a default binding of the dial to ISO. So then you don’t need to press any other button in order to change ISO settings, but simply rotate the dial straight away (think fuji cameras where you have a dedicated dial on the top for instance). Looks like the Pen F would be the only candidate so far :)

6. Giiba

Giiba Something to someone somewhere

Aug 19, 2016
    New Westminster, BC
    Personaly I prefer the button method over a dial. I change my iso a lot (as one should) and find the Olympus system works great.

On my em1.1 I set one of the front lens mount buttons to iso; I push the button, the menu comes up on my screen, I rotate the control dial til I'm happy, and tap the shutter button. Done.

This way you need not take your eye off the viewfinder or screen. With dials I always feel the need to look at said dial.

• Like Like x 1
  7. steve16823

steve16823 Mu-43 Regular

Sep 26, 2011
    Brookfield, IL
    I’ll have to verify but I’m nearly certain I can do this on both my EP5 and EM5ii.

8. alextravels

May 16, 2017

I always had something for the EP5 so I’m keeping my fingers crossed and I’ll look it up in the manual!

9. RAH

RAH Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Dec 1, 2013
    New Hampshire
    Rich
    I understand what you mean now, Alex. I can see how some folks might like this (I prefer the button technique, myself). I think I once looked for such an ability with the E-M10 and was unable to find anything. I think what I was actually looking for was whether you could change the assignment of the 2 major dials to anything other than what they start out as (aperture/shutter; exposure comp) and the only thing I could find was changing the rotation direction. I was a little surprised that you couldn't change what they did directly.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. alextravels

May 16, 2017

Same experience here, seems like a missed opportunity, but maybe they wanted to keep things structured. In the meantime, I became quick to do fn1-iso-halfpress the shutter button and I’m ok with it!

11. steve16823

steve16823 Mu-43 Regular

Sep 26, 2011
    Brookfield, IL
    Unfortunately, I checked my ep5 and em5ii and it’s not quite what you are hoping for. When the mode switch is in the 2 position one of the dials changes ISO and the other White Balance.

So when the switch is set on 2, you can control the iso with the dial without having to press a button, but the other dial will be WB and there’s no way to change it.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2017 at 11:28 PM
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  12. Drdul

Drdul Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

May 16, 2015
    Vancouver, BC
    Richard
    Yes, you can assign the front or rear dial to ISO on the Pen-F. I have my Pen-F set up that way, but I rarely need to change the ISO. The reason is that the Pen-F has another great feature where I can specify a minimum shutter speed for Auto-ISO. I have a custom setting where the camera is in Aperture-priority with Auto-ISO and a minimum shutter speed of 1/400 sec. In good light the shutter speed is faster than 1/400 and the ISO is at the base 200, but if the light suddenly dims (cloud moves in front of the sun or I move into an area of shadow) the camera will hold the shutter speed at 1/400 while it cranks up the ISO (until it hits the max ISO I’ve specified, and only then does it let the shutter speed go slower than 1/400).

Now the only time I touch the ISO dial is in regular Aperture-priority mode (not my custom setting) when I want to take it off Auto-ISO to force a slow shutter speed.

• Useful Useful x 1