m43 camera for video - ranking?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Akashi, Jan 25, 2015.

1. Akashi

Akashi Mu-43 Regular

Jun 1, 2010
    Tromso, Norway
    Right, I want a second hand m34 camera for video and was wondering how the different cameras rank agains each other. From what I understand it is really only panasonic that produces good video.

Of course GH4 is the best but I need something cheaper. Is the next GH3 and then GH2? Is it that simple? And how does the small ones (G5, GF5) stack against these? Ia it better to buy a GF5 than a GH2 for video? Is the small olympus cameras no very good at all in video terms? This is a jungle, please help :=)

2. RamblinR

RamblinR Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 16, 2012
    Sunshine Coast, Qld Australia
    Maria
    Look at the g6

• Like Like x 1
  3. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    as with any discussion regarding 'best for video' one has to define what you mean by 'video'

are you

A) shooting video as a moving record of a visit to a holiday destination or your kids school play,?

or are you shooting

B) individual elements to be edited together to make some sort of narrative?. Is recording audio important?

You are right that the GH series are best, though depending on whether your needs and expectations are more A than B, then most cameras of the last couple of years will generate good results with decent light.

K

• Like Like x 1
  4. Akashi

Akashi Mu-43 Regular

Jun 1, 2010
    Tromso, Norway
    More of option B. There is a used G5 up for sale, I´ll take a look and compare it to the G6 reviews.

Thanks,

5. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    What software are you planning to use for editing?

--Ken

6. Akashi

Akashi Mu-43 Regular

Jun 1, 2010
    Tromso, Norway
    I use imovie 10.0.6 is that a factor as well?

7. Replytoken

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    I asked the question as a kind of follow-up to Kevin's post. If you are just going to splice segments together and do some minor titles, then you might have a bit more freedom in your selection, and you might even want to consider an Olympus E-M1 for its IBIS, despite the files not holding up as well to heavy post-processing. If you will be color grading your files, and getting much more involved in editing, then you might want to stick with the Panasonic GH series or possibly something like the GX7 if you want something more compact. Panasonic video file formats should hold up better to serious editing. Just keep in mind that the E-M1's IBIS is a relatively easy way to address camera shake if you have not already addressed that issue. Having said that, many of Panasonic's lenses do have IS bulit-in, so it is not like you do not have choices on both sides of the fence.

Good luck,

--Ken

8. Akashi

Akashi Mu-43 Regular

Jun 1, 2010
    Tromso, Norway
    Ah, ok I see. Well I am not a professional and just do some simple cut-and-paste scenes in imovie. It is mainly ment for youtube. I had a EM-5 before and those files where fine. My lenses are all non-is so the EM-1 is of course looking ideal, but I am scared of the EVF burning issue (I have a thread in other sub-forums here). I thought I´d chose a second hand m43 (not latest model) for my videoing needs (g5 perhaps? or GH2 if I can find it) then I can take some time looking into a stills-camera. EM-5 II is coming so it may be worth a look or it may lower EM-1 prices?

9. Replytoken

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    Didn't mean to put you on one camp or the other, but I would rather watch a smooth video from a lesser quality file than a few minutes of quality jitter. Personally given the falling prices/value of the E-M5, I would consider one for video in addition to your other choices if Youtube is where they will be viewed. Should something happen to it, the cost of replacing it would be about the same, or possibly cheaper, than some of the options you have mentioned. I am not specifically familiar with the burning issue that you have mentioned, but if this is the one that, IIRC, concerns the sun coming through the EVF when the diopter is set to an extreme setting, I am not sure how much of an issue that would be to you under actual shooting should you purchase an E-M1.

Good luck,

--Ken

• Like Like x 1
  10. RamblinR

RamblinR Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 16, 2012
    Sunshine Coast, Qld Australia
    Maria
    Akashi

I have advised the G6 as it is a pretty fully featured camera for video compared to the Olympus cameras. Having said that I use both an EM5 and 2 EM1's for video work for clients as I love being able to hand hold the camera. Here are some video clips from the EM5 and EM1 if you want some idea of how they work out for what you want to shoot. Noticed you have the 12-40 and 75 so you could use these with the OMD cameras.

This wedding was shot with 2 EM1's and and EM5. You can see the EM5 when it cuts in as I had the EM5 with a smaller aperture as it was left on a tripod and I didn't know exactly where the groom would stand. https://vimeo.com/102938902

This was all shot with the EM5. Again, all hand held. https://vimeo.com/96311585

I used to use iMovie for editing but found that it made the black blocky when uploading to anything and also when trying to export. Have upgraded to FCPX and very happy with the change. If you are really going to get into video you might consider the upgrade as it is worth it.

Edited to add: The above were both edited in iMovie 11

• Like Like x 1
  11. Levster

Levster Mu-43 Top Veteran

Don't discount the EM 10 as a cheaper alternative to the EM1. The video quality is the same and from my brief testing the IBIS is very effective. If you want to try Panasonic then the GX7 or G6 are the best value for money. Unfortunately no one camera does is all, so with Olympus you get Ibis but no focus peaking, whereas Panasonic offer focus peaking but no IBIS.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Akashi

Akashi Mu-43 Regular

Jun 1, 2010
    Tromso, Norway
    Thank you for this extensive reply and great examples of the OMDs video capabilities. I had the EM5, so I am fairly familiar with that - the EM-1 is just as good it seem. It is quite expensive though - twice the price of a GX7. The Olympus makes a lot of sens though, mainly because I have the 12-40 and 75 already and GX7 has no ibis during filming - but I think I like the video output from the panasonic better.

Thanks, this is quite helpful!

13. Akashi

Akashi Mu-43 Regular

Jun 1, 2010
    Tromso, Norway
    For those that may be interested, I went with the EM-1. I got a second hand one so the price was fair and I chose the Olympus over Panasonic because I am looking into the 40-150 f2.8 pro and the upcoming 300 f4 (no stabilisation). Also it made most sense since I already have two non-stabilised lenses. Thank you for all the contributions.

14. kenyee

kenyee Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 13, 2013
    focus peaking helps a lot...

there's a guy on FM selling a used GH4 for $1250. If I didn't have one I would bought it :)