m43 at a Photo workshop

Discussion in 'Nature' started by pjohngren, May 24, 2011.

1. pjohngren

pjohngren Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 15, 2010
    Just returned from a photo workshop at Ricketts Glen near Wilkes-Barre, PA. Terrific place with 22 named waterfalls. I used a G1 with 14-45 lens and a linear polarizer. I shot jpegs with sRGB color space and the WB and film mode settings I have described elsewhere. I felt the camera worked like a charm, and that the results held up well against the other attendees, who essentially were either Nikon or Canon users - there may have been one Pentax in the group.

It was interesting to me that we all had to submit our images for the critiqueing session as jpegs and in sRGB color space, for results to be easily and accurately displayed on the screen. The instructor then proceeded to use Lightroom and retieve lost detail in the highlights (waterfalls), make other and varied adjustments, all on our jpeg images - and he did it quite sucessfully, I might add.

Working with this equipment in the field, where you had to hike down 700-1000' mostly over a mile and therefore very steep, and then hike back up again, makes you really appreciate this camera format. And when the results, from a technical standpoint, were indistinguishable from those carrying lead anchors, this tired old body was very pleased with the results.

• Like Like x 10
  2. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Very pretty!
    • Like Like x 1
  3. MaxElmar

MaxElmar Mu-43 Regular

May 18, 2011
    New Jersey, USA
    I especially like the middle shot with the whirlpool on the left. Cool composition.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Did you convert anyone to m43?
  5. pjohngren

pjohngren Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 15, 2010
    No. I quietly introduced the concept of micro four thirds, but mostly they looked puzzled and a bit incredulous. I overheard some discussion as to when one could use "live view", with one guy insisting that you had to turn off autofocus if you used live view and focus manually. If they had live view they weren't using it, and were checking histograms after they had taken the shot, then would keep retaking the shot until they got it right. It all seemed rather archaic to me. I just adjusted the exposure compensation based on the live histogram and took the shot.

Also, I had no problem with our rather sweet contrast detection autofocus and would move the focus point around the LCD screen to get it on a forground rock or whatever, I don't recall any of the pictures being out of focus. I did wish that I could move the focus 'box' closer to the edge.
  6. SMaturin

SMaturin Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 30, 2011
    New York's Backyard
    Strong and pleasing compositions, thanks.

This fits with the discussions in the other thread today about gear and what is the intent of "pro" cameras:

• Like Like x 1
  7. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    I have a polariser on my 14-45 : I find the EVF gives a particularly good rendition of what's going to be the result as I turn the polariser, a touch more clearly than on a lens on my e-410 DSLR.
  8. sLorenzi

sLorenzi Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 15, 2010
    I'm pleased with them all, but I believe I like the third most. Thanks for sharing.
    • Like Like x 1