1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

M43 and the siren call of FF

Discussion in 'Back Room' started by NCV, Apr 24, 2016.

1. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team Subscribing Member

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    This is the reason why drug testing is done using double blind testing. Confirmation bias, placebo etc are all to easy traps to fall into.

The photographic equivalent is to take a shot and print it (or display it full-screen on a monitor or projector) and then ask someone to judge it without any knowledge of the kit used to take it. This happens all the time in photographic clubs and from my experience the kit used to take a shot matters not one iota. Peering at shots at 100% res with the knowledge that your latest 42Mp FF beast has taken it will only result in confirmation bias.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Speedliner

Speedliner Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 2, 2015
    Southern NJ, USA
    Rob
    True in average size prints and if uncropped. More detail for cropping or printed large or viewed on a high def screen, a difference may be more noticeable.

Why all of this talk about formats anyway. Isn't it fun to have more than one camera if you can afford it? Don't Nikon shooters often have one for sports/wildlife, one for portraits/landscapes, an old favorite, a new marvel?

Want more detail to crop? Want more detail so smaller parts of the frame retain detail, want more DR for a dramatic landscape...why not, funds willing. Why is it always a contest between right and wrong, or mine and yours.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. AlanU

AlanU Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2012
    I was once like you. That was until a friend of mine dropped off a lot of high end equipment for me to borrow and analyze at my leisure. With no cash outlay or justification in my decisions of what sounds "better". The more accurate way to describe is what changed the sound signature to my preference. I change hardware for dramatic huge improvements but wires is more of a fun fine tuning hobby. Just think my totems are reasonably priced at 8g's.

I was using monster cable and Energy rca/interconnects and I went back and forth. I sat stationary with my ears in the identical position throughout the same test. The sound difference was not subtle between different cables being changed. I called this test BS until I literally sat through the entire audition blindly. Cheap interconnects do not have as much detail with my high resolution setup.

If you've read I already confirmed how cost of wire is not the determining factor. It's the differences in capacitance, inductance and resistance of the wired in between the two components. Just so happens I have preference to my "free" wires (Olflex) and my $1000 pair virtually sound the same but my pair of kimber cable 4tc and 8tc sounded different. The difference is more based on science rather than hoopla fantasy land.

The big difference is that I actually conducted many tests in my own home/room acoustics. I did not reaad and believe. I literally performed as scientific as I could. One thing noted was I found audible differene more with interconnects and speaker wires were not a big substantially different. I haven't even discussed power conditioning/isolated transformer sonic differences (pro studio's put emphasis on isolated transformers for their production work).

HSU is known for subwoofers. His bookshelf speakers are inexpensive units for less critical home theater application and not even in the realm of hifi. I don't doubt he can use cheap stuff......to display his low frequency subs.

Back to camera stuff. Leica images are more 3d and gritty with noisier bokeh and edgy contrast. The rendition is unlike most camera gear out there. I'm not even discussing the $$$$ difference either :) 

Canon mk2 zooms are remarkable in a way that every focal length produces prime lens quality. The micro contrast/sharpness rivals many older generation prime lenses. The difference from an older Canon 35L pro level prime lens to a new 35Lmk2 you will notice a substantial difference as you post process. Same goes for virtually all of the Canon line as they change to Mk2 newer generation lenses.

The difference from the old Canon 24-70L f/2.8 to mk2 is almost like comparing the IQ of a 14-140 mk2 vs a zuiko 12-40 f/2.8. I think any M43 person can relate to that example. The zuiko 12-40 and panny 12-35 is pretty darn good in easy light conditions....I will not dispute that.

My photo examples are gently treated Raw files and nothing more. Not elaborate glorified colour treatment or manipulation for a portfolio "money shot". Simple real life example really. This is where one must understand the difference in showcase portfolio "moneyshots" to regular images for documentation purposes. The compressed jpg images on this webpage do not give these images a chance to display micro contrast differences between two lenses. No way I was trying to present portfolio examples of those two images LOL!!!!

At the end of the day putting files in print changes the whole debate on pixel peepers. Most cannot tell the difference between an iphone image printed 4x6 compared to a m43, ff etc.

Yesterday was Victoria day in Canada. Took the family out and I tested my gh3 yesterday with my 12-35mm in a restaurant and I hit a wall at iso 3200. I cleaned up the noise with minor plastic skin. This is what I commonly see in this type of lighting. Different camera formats have totally different noise signatures with more intact Raw files. This is what I encounter as I go from different gear in similar lighting conditions. This should not be new info/news to anyone using M43 platform as a primary system. This is the beauty of owning different tools.

4. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman Subscribing Member

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    Never have so many words been used to say the sum of sod all

I feel sorry for his family :) 

Hope I never get stuck in a elevator in Vancouver

K

• Funny Funny x 4
  5. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, USA
    The problem with a lot of these reviewers is that they're piss poor photographers with zero editing capabilities. You're better off getting raw files of a particular lens/camera combo and apply your editing presets.

6. AlanU

AlanU Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2012
    Please visit! I love your wit!! I will not bore you with my enthusiasm of life ;) 

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  7. pdk42

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    You Scots and your wee sense of humour!!!! In any case I thought you said this:

I guess in your defence you were provoked!!!

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. 50orsohours

50orsohours Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 13, 2013
    Portland Oregon
    I'm starting to see a pattern here, so this is my last reply about this. First, you don't know me at all, or what I believe - I simply mentioned that real pro reviewers shy away from doing blind listening tests because they will fail. There have been tests and we know the outcome. Btw, your test was anything but scientific. Maybe you meant to say subjective. Double blind test would be the only scientific one. Can you imagine a drug company telling the participants whether they were taking the actual drug or placebo in a trial? Lol! In any case please do us a favor in the future, if you make a claim, post an example that verifies it? I hate for you to have to write a whole story to explain it.

9. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    Wise, @50orsohours@50orsohours, wise.

I have attempted to have a rational discussion with guys like this in the past and it is exactly what they do not want. The mathematics of low-frequency signal transmission? Pfft! Objective test results? Pfft! Double blind tests? Pfft. "Let me give you some anecdotes to show that my ears are superior to all of your science."

I had to laugh when I came to this: "Leica images are more 3d and gritty with noisier bokeh and edgy contrast." "more 3d," "gritty," and "noisier bokeh" rank right up there with speakers that are "romantic and intimate." Completely unassailable if your only weapons are science and logic.

• Like Like x 1
  10. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    Agreed. And to bring back OT to my post that may have started some of this, the claims that FF has a siren's call to its 'better colour and dynamics' that can be easily seen in casual images, posted here at about 1 MP and 8-bit colour, is a classic case of confirmation bias.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. bigboysdad

bigboysdad Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 25, 2013
    Sydney/ London
    I did wonder - thought it was just me!

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. Jonathan F/2

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, USA
    This thread is a hoot! So I imagine this is what grumpy old men grumble to themselves! :D :) :rolleyes: 

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. AlanU

AlanU Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2012
    Why don't you look at some Leica images and describe the photos in your scientific methodology. Photography is art so I do not know how you would describe the characteristics of Leica images??? I think a Leica shooter can relate to some of my description of how Leica renders. Leica has a very unique contrast look. Renders unlike any format out there.

No personal attack needed here. Just curious what your approach is on visual art. I describe things as I see it....

• Like Like x 1
  14. AlanU

AlanU Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2012
    Are you discussing post processing treatment of RAW files as far as colour is concerned?

Dynamics? are you talking about dynamic range?

15. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    It isn't me, it's others talking.

16. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Nov 25, 2012
    Australia
    FF vs m43 always devolve into this sorta stuff. I'm surprised it hasn't been moved to the back room forum yet

17. Wisertime

Wisertime Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Aug 6, 2013
    Philly
    Steve
    Some of this would be funny if it wasn't serious.

It comes back to the analogy of buying a Ferrari vs a Honda accord. The Honda is reliable, economical and does 95% of what the Ferrari does. Both get you from point A to B. We'd all love to drive the Ferrari, but then again you wouldn't take the Ferrari on just any road (I'm thinking PA potholes and narrow alleyways) or out in the rain/snow. The Honda handles it all.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. pdk42

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Yea - I'd vote for it to be moved over there. I doubt there's any enlightenment to be gained from further postings.

19. Jonathan F/2

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, USA
    To be honest after jumping through the different sites of Amin's forum-sphere, Mu-43 probably has the least tolerance for other system talk. I don't think this thread suffers from confirmation bias, it's just the usual old grouches that come on here to troll and not contribute anything objective.

Last edited: May 26, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 3
  20. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Legend

Mar 21, 2014
    I would say that both sides of the argument are equally guilty of your last point.

• Agree Agree x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.