1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

M43 Adapters for the BMCC

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by TheBambooRonin, May 26, 2013.

1. TheBambooRonin

TheBambooRonin Mu-43 Rookie

May 26, 2013
    Seattle, WA
    How reliable are adapters according to their specifications? I'm currently on back-order for a camera at the moment and I'm trying to be as productive as I can in the interim by researching and wish-listing glass I'd like to purchase.

That said, I know Olympus and Panasonic have the lion's share of readily available m43 lenses - but what about if I'm looking to fetch up Nikkors or Canon lenses?

Granted, all of I'm aiming for all things manual but since all of these will need adapters for an M43 body, I'm a little indecisive because of the reliability issues I've read about regarding adapters in general.

Is there any sure-fire way to make sure that an adapter I order will even work properly on the BMCC before I have the camera in my hands or would it be best to just sit on it until I actually get a chance to tinker around with the thing? Thoughts? Suggestions?

2. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

If money is not an issue there are some really nice and very reliable adapters out there. Voigtlander and Novoflex adaptors have excellent reputations. Of coarse they cost more than many of the lenses you might adapt. I have found that Fotodiox adaptors work well without being too expensive. Problem is there are tons of different adaptors made by the hundreds of factories in China and some are good and others are not.

3. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    What you are going to find is that some adapters will allow you to focus beyond infinity, while others are much tighter to spec. All of this matters less if your lens purchase isn't to spec in the first place, or has been "fixed", or bumped around collections for the last 30+ years, and may be slightly off. The only "reliability" issue in my mind is making sure the adapter is strong enough, and tight enough on the lens to make sure it doesn't fall off. Otherwise, you are usually fine (as far as achieving focus).

4. TheBambooRonin

May 26, 2013
    Seattle, WA
    M43 Adapters for the BMCC (reply)

Thanks Cruzan, SAS --

So as far as purchasing goes, would it be wise to order items sight-unseen based simply on what I know about my mount?

For example: fetching up a Zeiss 50mm 1.4 Planar T Zf2 - using a Nikon F series adapter for a Black Magic passive MFT.

I've been warned against purchasing lenses w/o the camera in-hand but I'm worried I'm going to miss out on some good opportunities (from a budget perspective) if I sit on this too long. Plus, I don't know when the dang thing is going to end up shipping in the first place so maybe I'm just being impatient...

5. speedandstyle

If the Zeiss lens is a Nikon F mount then an F-mount to m4/3 adaptor will work. The good ones that cost big bucks are going to be accurate. The middle of the road ones probably are and the cheap ones may or may not work correctly. The good thing about the cheap ones is that they are cheap so if they don't work it is no big deal.

If you are looking at Zeiss glass then you have some funds. Get the Novoflex adaptor{s}! I know of several guys using them and they love them. If I had the money I would but my budget is low.

Another option that is coming soon is the Metabones SpeedBooster. Oh that reminds me, Metabones is another respected brand for adaptors. Anyway the SpeedBooster is not only an adaptor but a converter that adds one f-stop of effective aperture and reduces the effective focal length by .7x. It also sharpens the image.

Metabones® - Home

6. TheBambooRonin

May 26, 2013
    Seattle, WA
    M43 Adapters for the BMCC (reply)

It's good to know that I have options. I'm probably going to end up starting off with some cheaper ones to meet my own budgetary requirements but I'm keeping my eyes on Metabones.

Micro 4/3 Metabones Speed Booster Now Shipping for Leica R & Contax Lenses « nofilmschool

Do you know of any places that has a (nearly) comprehensive list of workable lenses for a M43 mount (but not the body)? I think that's where I've been getting confused about which lenses will or will not work with the BMCC big body...

7. speedandstyle

All of the Olympus and Panasonic m4/3 lenses are out{except for the Olypus 15mm bodycap lens}. Voigtlander, SLR Magic lenses in m4/3 mount will work great. SamYang{Rokinon} has a fisheye that will work. There are a few other odd-ball lenses that have m4/3 mount but not sure about them. Of coarse lenses designed for full frame or APS that have an external aperture ring will work.

8. TheBambooRonin

May 26, 2013
    Seattle, WA

Thanks, SAS!