m43 16mp IQ

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by dixeyk, Apr 28, 2012.

1. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    I spent the morning looking at the samples of IQ in dpreview (not having an OMD myself) and I compared the OMD, GX1, GH2 and the Canon 5DmkII (I also swapped in the E-P1 now and again so I could compare to something I actually have in hand). The IQ on the Olympus OMD is very nice. That said, I didn't find it spectacularly better than the GX1 and GH2 (or even G3). They all seemed to be remarkably similar with the OMD having noticeably less nice at higher ISO but at the expense of a bit of detail. In fact in some parts of the test image the OMD would shine and in others the Panasonic cameras would have a slight edge. That said, I'd be thrilled with any of them. Of course how that translates to real world photos is another thing entirely but I came away feeling like the current crop of 16mp m43 cameras area all quite good and a lot closer to the IQ of the 5DmkII than Canon owners might want to admit.

2. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I agree. Nothing I have seen from RAW conversions has convinced me that the E-M5 sensor is much different than the excellent Panasonic 16MP sensors.

The DPReview and Imaging Resource comparison tools are flawed for comparing cameras with different megapixel counts, because they don't present the images at matched output size. It's misleading to compare a 100% crop from a 16MP OM-D and a 36MP D800, but people do exactly that and then come to the conclusion that detail/noise levels are similar.

I was on the phone calling various camera shops looking for a silver OM-D to buy, and one of the store managers mentioned that their Olympus rep had just been in the store, had shown all the sales reps the DPReview comparisons on his laptop display, and how impressed they all were with how well the OM-D files compared specifically to D800 and NEX-7 files. Very savvy move by the Olympus rep but not keeping it real.

Still, I agree with you that the IQ of the latest Micro 4/3 sensors is really excellent and for most people and purposes will compare well to anything out there.

3. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    K.... The GX1 is an amazing little camera. The IQ does approach the GXR A12 units.
    It's different and shouldn't be compared as Amin stated.
    Keeping things in m43....it can't be beat , maybe matched...dunno. I have no interest in that Oympus thing. I hear they share the same sensor.
    So that OM may be better but the form has a factor that one must decide.

I did compare files to all the m43 cameras I had. The pen 1&2, Gf1, G1, G2, GH1...
    I now understand why I'm back to m43 land.

4. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    True. I think the right way to go about this would be for the manufacturer to optimize the heck out of the JPEG pipeline for the camera's default settings. Then when people do their simple side-by-sides and shoot default JPEGs as they often do, the camera would look its best. Oddly only Olympus and to some degree Fuji seem to have taken this approach to colors and it seems to pay off regularly. If only they knew how to do sharpening too!

DH

5. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Shooter, are you using a GX1 these days alongside the GXR?

6. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Hey, Don. What lenses are you using with the GX1? I am curious to hear what you think of the m4/3 options versus the GXR lensors?

I ended up selling my GXR 28 to fund the E-M5 (still on preorder). I miss the camera a bunch, though. I have a K-01 that serves as my bigger cam and pleased with that guy quite a bit, but I miss having a stealthy, compact body like the GXR.

7. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010

Glad to have you back on the boards. :biggrin:

8. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010

I always take the dpreview samples with a grain of salt but they do give you a general idea of how things stack up. Also the advantage that m43 has for me is the much smaller size when compared with most larger sensor cameras...combine that with a really great selection of affordable high quality lenses and it's a great take everywhere kit. I'm not a professional but I love photography and I rarely find myself wishing I was using anything different.

I just picked up a GH2 and paired with the P14, P20 and O45 it's a really fun, small and flexible setup.

9. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Yessir. I have the GX1 and my Grandson has my other M8. I really had no intention of using it but after 5 minutes.....
    ...well, my fond memories of the GF1 came back. It's like the GF1 on steroids.

It's much different than the GXR but sometimes change is real good.
    The little PZ lens is very sweet but I advise one and all not to put the 20mm on the GX1.
    Very dangerous to all the other camera/lens combinations you have...

PS.... this thing focuses faster then any camera I have ever used....and accurately.....unreal!