M42 to M43 (Jupiter9) trouble !!

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Livnius, Aug 4, 2011.

1. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe
    Hi guys.

I have only recently joined the m43 family and this site and have only just begun to experiment with my new baby....a GF1 + 20/1.7 and on the advice of many others both here and elsewhere....I jumped in with both feet forward and have got some legacy glass too. I got my pentax-a 50/1.4 the other day with adapter and REALLY enjoy it...I hope to post my first photos with it and the 20/1.7 very soon.

I have also got an M42 screwmount Jupiter 9 85/2....again, it came highly recommended and I just loved the photographs I have seen it produce.

One problem though, unlike my Pentax-a 50/1.4 with adapter, the M42-M43 adapter i got fot the Jupiter doesn't have that same distinctive click/snap into the camera body that my pk-m43 adapter has...funny thing is, they are both made by te same manufacturer....FOTGA !!

This is it .... M42 Lens 2 Micro 4/3 m43 Adapter 4 G1 GF1 GH1 E-P1 E-P2 | eBay

When I use the fotga pk--m43 for my pentax the camera recognises it and it works great with a nice positive 'click' as i attach it to the gf1 body. When i tried the same with the m42-m43 adapter there was no positive 'click' when attaching and I get a blank screen with a message saying something along the lines of 'lens not attached properly' !!!

I have inspected both the lens and adapter thoroughly and tried it all over and over several times...slowly....to try and see, hear...and feel...that it all fits and moves correctly. Something isn't right with the adapter i assume as it isn;t clicking into the body and locking....I can actually removing the lens&adapter without pressing the lens release button.

Help please :eek:

I imagine I got just plain unlucky with a poor adapter off *bay.....can anyone reccomend a good adapter, one that they have used with success .

Any help is much appreciated.

2. UkrainianOne

UkrainianOne Mu-43 Regular

Jul 29, 2011
    Long Island, New York
    This is an interesting thread for me becuase i too recently purchased my G1 and the M42>M4/3 adapter, wondering if i willl have the same problem...

however from what i understand when you use adapters such as these directly onto the camera body ( since its not "native" ) the camera cant pick them up, so you have to mess around with the extensive menu and go to the bottom where it says "use camera w/o lens" and turn it ON

word of caution, howeve,r just from common sense i wouldnt turn that ON until the whole lens body and adapter is mounted so that dust and other nasty stuff doesnt get in there.

also the only time your camera will not show the blank screen or check lens screen is when you have a lens which is "native" and has the electronic connections to match your body, or you have an adapter that has the same feature, i could be wrong but this is what i have gathered from owning a m4/3 camera for the past two weeks.

hope that helps and hopefully we both can get some light shed on this issue :tongue:

3. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe
    Hi.

Yeah I made sure I had the camera set A(aperture priority) on the dial and selected 'shoot without lens - ON' in the menu....I do the same for my pen 50/1.4 and it works perfectly.

For some reason though, the camera is not detecting the Jupiter 9 and for the reasons I mentioned in my original post, I suspect it may be a flawed adapter because it's not clicking and locking into the body.

Anybody have a m42 - m43 adapter that works correctly, please let me know which it is so I can chase one up.

Oh btw, I got my Jupiter from the Ukraine, amazing condition....looks crystal clear so as you can imagine, I can't wait to get shooting with it :)

4. UkrainianOne

Jul 29, 2011
    Long Island, New York
    Ironic that you got it from Ukraine lol, anyway i am getting my adapter in the mail tommorow, i will snap it in correctly & hopefully, i will get back to you and let you know if mine has the same problem, the lens ill be mounting is my 7$ Soligor 90-230mm, it wieghs more than this laptop!!! :rofl:

5. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I have the Jupiter-3 which is Leica M39 screw mount. My adapter clicks in fine, but the camera doesn't recognize that there's a lens attached. Aperture is blocked out because of that, but since I use an Olympus it shoots fine without acknowledgement of a lens and doesn't try to tell me there's a problem. ;) I shoot this lens in Manual, though it works the same in Shutter Priority.

Off topic, but I would love to get a Jupiter-9 for my camera! :D I'd prefer mine in M39 LTM mount, though. If you know anybody who has a good one... ;)

6. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    Sounds like the lens release button on the camera is not coming out all the way when the adapter is attached. The slot on the adapter may be too shallow and preventing internal lens release button micro switch from completing the circuit.

7. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe
    That's great sammyboy....I suspect you may be right.

I just closely inspected my 20/1.7 and my PK adapter for the 50/1.4 and both have a slightly deeper notch machined out of the steel which allows for the lens button/pin to 'lock in' ...the same hole on my m42 adapter is visibly more shallow thus not allowing the same mechanical locking in !!!

You may have hit the nail in the head Sammy, thank you. Unfortunately though, it may mean I need to by another adapter, hopefully machined correctly. I guess I could find a really fine drill bit and do it myself, but the thought of not cleaning the adapter out properly afterwards and having fine metal fragments finding their way into my camera body scares the crap out of me so I will play it safe and buy another.

Can anybody recommend a good reliable m42-m43 adapter ?

• Like Like x 1
  8. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    Livnius,
    If I were you, I would cover the entire adapter with duct tape leaving only the slot exposed and drill the slot to a greater depth. The tape prevents debris from entering the adapter. You can inspect the slot for debris using a magnifying glass or take a photo and view it on you computer. This is only about a 10 minute job. good luck.

9. UkrainianOne

Jul 29, 2011
    Long Island, New York
    I bought mine on amazon from rainbow image guy, the adapter there got two 5 star ratings so i guess it fits well, was 18.98 with shipping

10. Danny_Two

Danny_Two Mu-43 Regular

Oct 30, 2010
    London

I've got one of these, cheap and cheerful, works fine.

11. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe
    Thanks Danny.

I'll look into it. I have seen that type on amazon by rainbow-imaging I believe and by various sellers on eBay. Going for about 15-20 dollars.

I really hope it works as I'm super keen to get my J9 85/2 up and firing. I've been having a lot of fun with the pen fast 50 too.

Hope to make my first photographic contributions to this fine forum soon.

Thanks guys.

12. Willabeast

Willabeast Mu-43 Regular

Aug 8, 2011
    I got one off ebay from gadgetworldexports I had to tighten the screws but, other than that, it works perfectly. It also depresses the aperture pin on the Fujinon lens I have attached to it. I know some people had trouble with getting an adapter that would push the pin in but that's another topic!

13. UkrainianOne

Jul 29, 2011
    Long Island, New York

So yea i got the M42 to m4/2 adapter from the amazon rainbow-imaging seller for 18.99, works like a charm with all my Soligor lenses, clicks in well and shoots like magic, again remmember no matter what adapter you go with, if its a manual lens then you have to turn the "shoot without lens" option ON

14. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe
    Cheers. I did a bit of reading on the issue and found that the rainbow imaging type adapter seems to have worked for everyone who bought it.

I did the same so hopefully it all works fine. I'll he sure to let you know once I have received and tested it.

• Like Like x 1