m42 mount macro lens

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by mariottide, Nov 12, 2012.

1. mariottide

mariottide Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 24, 2012
    Any suggestion for a m42 mount macro lens? I'm looking for something cheap possibly.
    Thanks

2. iruediger

iruediger New to Mu-43

Nov 12, 2012
    I have a Super Macro-Takumar 50mm/F4 and some extensions tubes, I am quite satisfied with its quality. A quick ebay search shows it costs ~35 USD.
    I took this picture with the lens @ F8 (didn't use extension tubes). The camera is an E-PL2

3. nikki

nikki Mu-43 Regular

Aug 2, 2010
    dublin ireland
    I own a helios 44-2 , incredably sharp !

4. mariottide

mariottide Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 24, 2012
    Hello Nikki, thanks for the reply?
    Do you use any extension tubes with the helios? If yes, where did you buy them?
    Many thanks

5. nikki

nikki Mu-43 Regular

Aug 2, 2010
    dublin ireland
    no I dont use extension tubes - but it does great detail at f 2 - great bokeh .I suppose if you want to get closer you could try extension tubes , it depends on how close you want to go! I did have a pentax f4 macro which was a great lens but never tried it on m43, found the helios sharper and only cost €15 euros.
    :smile:
    <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/nikkiobrien/8116824733/" title="spiders web by NIKKI O BRIEN, on Flickr"> 8116824733_54bbb5bb49_n. "320" height="320" alt="spiders web"></a>

6. mariottide

mariottide Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 24, 2012
    Guess what? I have the same lens and actually paid 15 euros for it. Never tried to use it in macro mode, thank you, I won't be spending other money on a new lens :rofl:

7. RSilva

RSilva Mu-43 Regular

Oct 24, 2011
    Portugal
    The smc macro-takumar 4/50 is the sharpest and best built takumar. It´s the only adapted lens I have ever tested that can give a hard time to the Olympus 1.8/45. It´s also very contrasty plus, the colors it renders are beautifull. 35usd is a bargain! They sell here in Europe for about 150eur. I use it a lot for portraits.

8. iruediger

iruediger New to Mu-43

Nov 12, 2012
    Yes, the 50/4 is really nice! To be honest, I only have use it for macros so far (I got my camera two weeks ago), but as soon as I have the chance I'll try portraits and landscapes with it.

About the price, I am not in the US so I just did a quick search at ebay (since the OP asked for a cheap lens), maybe the ones sold @ 35 USD are not in good condition? The copy I have belonged to my father, I have no idea how much they cost over here.

9. RSilva

RSilva Mu-43 Regular

Oct 24, 2011
    Portugal
    The Helios sharper than the macro takumar? You must have the sharpest helios 44 on earth. The takumar has a tessar design known for it´s sharpness. While the helios can´t do macro work, the macro-takumar will go 1:2 or 1:1with the older version. I have used the Helios a lot and I like it but it is very soft by f2 and much much softer than the macro-takumar at all apertures.