M42 lens

elandel

Mu-43 All-Pro
Hello,

I have a question to ask. Has anyone got a M42 lens list for good and cheap lenses to mount to my EPL-1?

I just bought it last Friday and have some manual nikon lenses. Buying the Nikon to :43:adapter I will also buy the M42 adapter because I want to try some old lenses.

I love prime lenses and know that there are some very good quality lenses out there also at bargain prices.
Want to try them.

Thanks.

grum

Mu-43 Regular
I've got a Helios 44-2 with M42 mount that I really like and was very cheap.

elandel

Mu-43 All-Pro
Thank you for your reply.

I'm lookin for some wide-angle lens.

How do you focus? Do you have to stop-down?

Krang

Mu-43 Veteran
M42 wide lenses are harder to find and generally not that wide (on micro 4/3). The best cheap m42 lenses are from the 35 to 150 range.

Generally you have to stop down. But some old lenses have little helpers designed to them.

OzRay

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ray, not Oz
There are absolutely heaps of Russian m42 lenses about and it's also a Russian Roulette as to what you get, but perhaps the best ones to consider for some form of consistency are the Pentax lenses of yore. There are of course many others about, I've got two Komura lenses, one very good, the other rather average, but it's always a lucky dip. The easiest thing to do is an eBay search and take your pick; put aside a budget and hope for the best, but don't cry over spilt milk.

Cheers

Ray

Jorge de la Calle

New to Mu-43
M42 on Canon Eos 3 and Canon 5D Mark II

Hello everyone,
I would like to inquire about back element of the lenses hitting these cameras mirrors. I own an Eos 3 and had bought a fisheye a long time ago and had this problem. I returned the lens to a vendor in Russia who said the problem could have been the filter holder. Then I assumed the problem was related to those fisheye lenses with back filters only. So recently I ordered a Helios 200mm from the same vendor and guess what? The back element hits the mirror!! Is there a way around this issue? Are there M42 - to EOS adaptors that are better suited than others to handle this problem? More, I just recently read about some adaptors that could cause your DSRL to short circuit. I'm not quite willing to try them on my brand new Mark II until I have some reassurance that it won't happen... Please help!

Thanks!:confused:

photoSmart42

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Hello everyone,
I would like to inquire about back element of the lenses hitting these cameras mirrors.

Thanks!:confused:

Hello. These cameras don't have mirrors, which is why it's possible to mount a number of different lenses on them with the correct adapter to make up for the flange distance to the sensor. With some exceptions, you shouldn't run into any issue fitting most of the lenses out there to these m4/3 cameras.

Jorge de la Calle

New to Mu-43
Still trying to find answers to the M42 vs. Eos 3 blocking issue

I beg your pardon...? my Eos 3 does have a mirror. Something is blocking it when I try to use the Helios lens with the M42 adaptor. So much so that the mirror stays up and only backs down when I remove the lens and down press the shutter again. The camera works if I don't let the lens/adapter combo hit the click point and leave it somewhat loose before it clicks. However that seems to bring up other problems like having the viewfinder darken and lighten up as I move the diaphragm ring on the lens. I think I had read before that is related to... mirror blocking? :eek:
please help

photoSmart42

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I beg your pardon...? my Eos 3 does have a mirror. Something is blocking it when I try to use the Helios lens with the M42 adaptor. So much so that the mirror stays up and only backs down when I remove the lens and down press the shutter again. The camera works if I don't let the lens/adapter combo hit the click point and leave it somewhat loose before it clicks. However that seems to bring up other problems like having the viewfinder darken and lighten up as I move the diaphragm ring on the lens. I think I had read before that is related to... mirror blocking? :eek:
please help

Well, I was assuming that since you're writing on a micro 4/3 forum you're familiar with these cameras which don't have mirrors, so that's what I was referring to. This thread was about the EPL-1 fitting M42 lenses, and the EPL-1 is a m4/3 camera that doesn't have a mirror.

I don't have an EOS camera (yet), only some FD cameras, so I'm not able to help you with your specific issue. I'm sure someone else can chime in regarding the EOS cameras, but in the meantime may I suggest asking that question on a forum dealing with EOS cameras? You might have more success there from dedicated experts on the EOS system.

weezyfeezy

Mu-43 Rookie
This thread is kinda old, but I thought I'd share. I'm waiting for a super takumar 55mm. Got the m42 adapter in the mail the other day from fotodiox...now I just need the lens! Supposedly takes some nice pictures and you can get it pretty cheap on ebay...

andyw

Mu-43 Veteran
Your best bet would be to try some 28mm lenses from Takumar, Vivitar and Carl Zeiss. 28mm is about as wide as you are going to get as anything wider and the prices start going through the roof and they are rare.

I have some Super Takumar lenses which are superb and also Olympus OM lenses but these are not M42.

emergo

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Erik
please help

many old fisheye lenses do indeed have a rear element that protrudes into the mirror box on an SLR. many pro level cameras of the era had a mirror lock up function that must be used when fitting the fisheye lens. The lens usually came with an accessory viewfinder for framing your shot. so yes, your mirror is getting hung up on the rear element. you're only hope is to either get a modern camera with mirror lock up, or stop using the lens. sorry, but that's about all you can do.

junaluska

New to Mu-43
I also have a 28mm Super Takumar and it is great. Especially in bright sun light. There is also a great factory hood that can be bought on Ebay fairly cheap.

Slim

Mu-43 Veteran
What I like about the ST 28mm, is the square hood. I realised that it has gone into hiding since 3 days ago and I have been depressed ever since...
Kill me! Kill me now!!

Latest threads

Top Bottom