1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

M42 adapter mounts lens upside down

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by sinjin, Jun 1, 2010.

1. sinjin

sinjin Mu-43 Regular

Feb 15, 2010
    Ottawa, Canada
    I'm in need of wisdom from the :43: community!

I picked up a cheap M42 to mu-43 adapter on eBay. Works okay but it mounts the lens with the distance and aperture markings on the bottom (i.e. 180 degree rotation from normal). The M42 mount threaded fine and I lined the dots up on the mu-43 end, so nothing wrong there. Am I doing something stupid?:redface: Has anyone seen this before? Doesn't really affect function, just looks a bit weird!

Thoughts appreciated.:confused:

2. Krang

Krang Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 19, 2010
    Some of the m42 lenses and cameras were made with different thread alignment. That's why some lenses have tiny screws to allow the user to align the lens with the camera in question.

What lens are you using? I guess that the adapter is manufactured using different type of m42 as an example, or maybe the manufacturer simply didn't care…

• Like Like x 1
  3. sinjin

sinjin Mu-43 Regular

Feb 15, 2010
    Ottawa, Canada
    Thanks, Krang. It's a SMC Takumar 50 1.4. Hmmm, don't see any obvious screw(s) for adjusting alignment. I'll have to have a better look at it in the light of day.

However, inspecting the lens at your suggestion jogged my memory that the guy I bought it from had serviced it. Perhaps it is possible to install the lens mount improperly? So the issue may be with the lens and not the adapter.

Poking around on other forums I've uncovered that it is not unheard of for these old Pentax lenses to mount slightly off to the right of centre (ie. too tight) with aftermarket adapters. 180 degrees seems a bit extreme, though.

Cheers,
    Mark

4. Krang

Krang Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 19, 2010
    My Takumar 105 2.8 mounts at an angle of 90 degrees, without any obvious way of adjusting. If you find out how to adjust a takumar lens, please share the info :)

5. photoSmart42

photoSmart42 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 12, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    I've had this issue on a number of my C-mount and M42/M39 lenses. A lot of lenses don't have the ability to re-clock the adapter for proper orientation, so for the most part you'll have to learn to live with the lens markings upside-down. It takes a bit of getting used to, but after a while you'll just start doing TTL adjustments for DOF and aperture exposure, so knowing the actual f-stop becomes less important.

• Like Like x 1
  6. sinjin

sinjin Mu-43 Regular

Feb 15, 2010
    Ottawa, Canada
    It's the adapter

Finally got a hold of a friend's old Pentax and confirmed there is nothing wrong with the lens. It lines up beautifully on the SLR.

So my adapter is indeed a full 180 degrees off! Oh well, not a big deal as I can still work with it, just a pain for when I want to quickly confirm the aperture. And it puts the Takumar Auto-Man switch at just the wrong spot. I keep inadvertently changing it! Still, minor quibbles for a cheap adapter.

Sorry, Krang. Looks like we're going to stay crooked. :wink:

Cheers,
    Mark

7. grebeman

grebeman Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2010
    South Brent, south Devon (UK)
    Barrie
    I don't know if it applies to your M42 adapter, but the adapter I use, LTM39 to m4/3 has three screws around the outside of the adapter that allows a separate inner ring to rotate within the outer ring so that the lens alignment can be finely adjusted on the camera.
    The screws are very small and recessed in the outer ring requiring the use of a fine flat bladed watchmakers screwdriver to adjust them.
    I trust that this will help someone, even if it doesn't help with your particular adapter.

Barrie

• Like Like x 1
  8. Krang

Krang Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 19, 2010
    What is the brand of your adapter? I could use a better one, since not all my lenses have the alignment option. Even though I like the possibility of aligning the lens mount more, since you don't always have to fiddle with the adapter when changing lenses…

9. grebeman

grebeman Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2010
    Barrie
    Hi,
    The link below should take you to the item I purchased.

/www.enjoyyourcamera.com/Lens-Mount-Adapter/M39-Adapters/Lens-Mount-Adapter-M39-Micro-FourThirds::2260.html

Hope this helps.

Barrie

• Like Like x 2
  10. Malo1961

Malo1961 Mu-43 Regular

May 17, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Thanks Barrie,
    This post helped me, aligning my SMC Tak. 50MM Macro on my E-PL1.
    Indeed the M42-µ4/3 adapter from RJ had the same three screws to adjust the M42 inner ring. Thanks again!!

11. grebeman

grebeman Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2010
    Barrie
    Glad to be of service, nice to know that even an old post can come in useful.

Barrie

12. Malo1961

Malo1961 Mu-43 Regular

May 17, 2010
    The Netherlands
    One of the " better virtues " of the internet, right? :thumbup:

• Like Like x 1