1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

m4/3s - The most adaptable system ever!

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by OzRay, May 28, 2010.

1. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    I've had this tiny Zeiss Icon bellows for a while, which I got of eBay for next to nothing, but there were no adapters available to suit m4/3s. So the bellows just sat around without a mission in life. Some weeks ago, I'd bought a cheap M42 to m4/3s adapter and discovered that if I removed the M42 adapter plate, I could screw the other half of the adapter onto the back of the bellows. Half of problem solved.

But I still had to figure out how to adapt a lens mount on the front of the bellows. So today I was playing around with the macro tubes I'd bought and suddenly the penny dropped. The camera mount side of the adapter fitted perfectly in the opening of the bellows and all I had to do was drill four holes through it to match where the Zeiss Icon mount had been located. Then all I had to do was screw the extension tube mount into place and then screw the lens mount half of the extension tube into the camera mount. I suddenly had a functioning bellows.

This is what it looks like with a Minolta 50mm macro lens attached. The bellows is actually smaller than the lens, a perfect unit to take away, compared to my Olympus bellows:

[​IMG]

This is a quick and dirty shot of some sort of fern growing out of the moss on our fish pond. The tip of the fern is les than 2mm across and it's a stack of 10 shots. There was a slight breeze about, so it's not the best result, but I was only interested in how things worked. The focussing rail is an el-cheapo, so the movements aren't all that smooth, but it works.

[​IMG]

Now to find some better subjects. :biggrin:

Cheers

Ray

2. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Looks good Ray.
    Maybe try putting some lube or wax on the rails...it may just smooth out the ride....
    good luck....

3. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    I tried that, but the rail is just too course for such to work. If you look closely at the rail on the bellows, it has 10 'gear teeth' per centimetre, the focussing rail has five and isn't damped in any way (just a lock dial). I haven't yet found a quality used focussing rail on eBay that's been reasonably priced.

Cheers

Ray