1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

M4/3's in the wild

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by swampduck, Nov 13, 2013.

1. swampduck

swampduck Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 29, 2013
    Taneytown , MD
    Dan
    I was in Cancun this past week and I saw a lot of DSLRS. I took a trip to Tulum Mayan Ruins and saw a lot of m4/3 though. Mostly e-m5s, and some panasonics. There were also quite a few sony next as well. I would say that m4/3 were more in abundance then the DSLR by a long shot. It was nice to see.

• Like Like x 3
  2. taz98spin

taz98spin Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 13, 2011
    NYC
    I see many Asian girls here in NYC with E-PL2s or that white Samsung NX camera. But in general I see lots more NEX cameras or DSLR cameras.

• Like Like x 1
  3. danelkins

danelkins Mu-43 Veteran

Mirrorless cameras ,in general, do not have a very strong presence in the US it is much bigger in other countries. I think it is a great system with numerous benefits -- it needs more dealers to help educate. I think that it is similar to Big Oil vs. Electric/Hybrid cars, Nikon and Canon got in too late to compete so they will try to kill it like the old APS Film cameras from back in the day.

Sent from my iPad using Mu-43 mobile app

4. Vivalo

Vivalo Olympus Loser

Nov 16, 2010
    Finland
    I spotted some ancient m4/3 gear: E-PL1 and mk1 14-42.

20140526-EB260094-Small.

• Like Like x 3
  5. Matero

Matero Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 22, 2013
    Finland
    I saw PEN E-PL5 and 40-150mm in a dancing school's Spring show. I didn't have guts to take a picture of it (my wife declined).

I looked little bit how the user tried to take pictures in a quite challenging lightning conditions and it was obvious that little bit training and help would had been needed. I almost started a discussion but as said the better half insisted to have my full attention to our girls :)

This guy couldn't autofocus, at least fast enough, because lens was pumping and trying to nail the focus. So I sensed frustration and bet not so many keepers as he had liked. Now I feel sorry that I didn't had time to help. I hope the camera isn't blamed because I could get decent shots although lightning was nightmare.

6. val

val Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 19, 2013
    Australia
    William
    Here in Sydney I see a lot of asians with E-PL5s and E-PM2s and the other variations.

not many Panasonics (I see loads of LX7s and TZ40s) but if I do they tend to be mid 20s student looking dudes.

here at work, most of our M43s are sold to parents wanting to downsize from their DSLR so I wouldn't be surprised if in a few more years that it becomes more popular with that audience due to word of mouth

7. listers_nz

listers_nz Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 22, 2013
    Christchurch, New Zealand
    Simon
    I was in a local camera shop (Christchurch, New Zealand) taking advantage of the NZ $150 cash back on the Oly 9-18mm :smile:, and the shop owner (who as been in the business as long as I can recall) was telling me that it had been a long time since he had seen a camera sell as well as the Olympus. He wasn't quite as impressed when I mentioned I had a Panasonic body!

8. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    I just came back from 10 days holidays in a major international tourist destination, Cairns and Port Douglas, Australia, and you know what? I can't remember looking at anyone else's camera, let alone noticing what the sensor size must be!!!

:tomato2:

9. lightmonkey

lightmonkey Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 22, 2013
    i rarely ever see the SLR style m43s (GH, OMD). by far tourists carry entry level APSC like 60D, 600D, T3, T5, whatever.... the once in a while mirrorless are Sony or Oly Pens

10. BLT

BLT Mu-43 Regular

Jan 13, 2013
    London
    James
    I the UK/London see more Lumix G# cameras than any other M43 cameras. I think the lower price and DSLR styling probably help.

• Like Like x 1
  11. scott2hot

scott2hot Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 27, 2012
    west yorkshire
    scott
    18 days in orlando , and in all the parks and tourist sites...didn't see one M4/3...all canikon or ipad shooters , suprised me with lots of Brits coming here i thought i would see a few!
    I too wasnt that interested ,But couldnt help noticing cheap low end DSLR everywhere ,(soccer mums/ladies using the standard dslr and the guys usually with Canon high end 5D) also tried a few place's to buy some cheaper than uk price's oly/panny lenses , But could only find a GF5 with standard lens available anywhere.(was hoping to get 45mm or 25mm) at good price.
    BTW it was really hard trying to compose any shots with all the crowds..pushing n shoving waving Mobile phones everywhere in view...so left my E m10 back in room by second week and enjoyed the holiday....Minus Disney that is! (Biggest rip off since VELCRO) Sorry my opinion only.

12. Darren Bonner

Darren Bonner Mu-43 All-Pro

May 1, 2013
    Poole UK
    Where I live it mostly canikon aps-c with kit lens shooters users using their camera as a point and shoot or cell phone users, I-pads/tablets in third. I've seen a few Panasonic m43's and the odd Olympus. I saw a Leica user for the first time the other week. When I go out birding, I usually encounter people with full-frame cameras with moster lenses or bridge camera users.

13. tyrphoto

tyrphoto Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2014
    Seoul | NYC
    ㅇtㅈyㅅr
    Around here (Seoul, Korea), I see Canon/Nikon DSLRs everywhere from APS-Cs to full frame, although more of the former.

As for mirrorless and compacts, I see more Sony Nex and various Samsung more often than I see Olympus or Panasonic. However, the #1 means of photography I see around these parts and everywhere else are smartphones.

Yesterday I spotted a young, Chinese male tourist using a Ricoh GR as well as a tiny, young Korean girl using a Canon with a 70-200L and another Korean girl using a Canon with a 24-70L.

I went to the concert yesterday with 3 others. The two girls used their smartphones and the guy used a Sony NEX 5.

14. fortwodriver

fortwodriver Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 15, 2013
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Frank
    In and around Toronto, I see most people have the low-end Nikon or Canon digital SLRs. Surprisingly few people have P&S cameras and LOTS of people are taking photos with their iPhones or other smartphones.

The first time I saw an m43 camera in the wild was when I went to an exhibit at OCAD (Ontario College of Art and Design). There I saw a half dozen people toting around Olympus PEN cameras with various lenses. Some had ironic beards too... ;-)
    :hide:

15. penfan2010

penfan2010 Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 12, 2010
    NJ, USA
    I attended a great, intensive photography workshop this weekend conducted by National Geographic photographer Michael Yama****a--2 straight days of pre-sunrise to post-sunset shooting, including lots of critiquing in between. Interestingly, of the 16 workshop participants, six of us were mirror less shooters, 4 of whom were using m43 gear: i had my E-M5 (and RX-10), 2 had E-M1 with both older E-series and M43 lenses, and one had a Panasonic GF-3 (the other two participants were a husband and wife who had both Sony A7s and Alpha DSLRs, and the workshop leader, Mike Yama****a, also uses an A7(R-version). All the rest were using various D-series NIkons and EOS Canons, and some commented on how great our "small"cameras looked, especially when we were trekking around in the cold rain for hours on Saturday, not worrying about weight or weather sealing (at least for the OM-D users).

The two E-M1 guys below:

DSC03244.

16. vjung001

vjung001 Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 14, 2013
    From 2012 in Korea

15431705186_8e8b76335a_c.

15268081970_699688530a_c.

17. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Hi,

a. I saw a magazine-book (not sure that's what they're called, but it was $19.95 and in the magazine section) at Barnes & Noble in California last month, called "Photography for Seniors" or something like that; the cover pic was of a couple with a PEN.

b. I saw lots of little white cameras in China and Korea last month... upon closer inspection maybe 1/3 of them turned out to be mu-43.
    Didn't get any close-ups but here's one that I think is a PEN with what looks like the 14-42mm lens on it...
    E9299237.
    Taken at Seoul/Incheon airport with E-M1, 12-40mm @ 12mm, f/2.8, ISO 1600, 1/200s.

Didn't see any OM-D's; lots of 'bridge' cameras and quite a few big DSLR's, mostly Canon IIRC.

Barry

18. Vivalo

Vivalo Olympus Loser

Nov 16, 2010
    Finland
    Looks like E-PM1 with 14-42

19. owczi

owczi nareteV 34-uM

I was in Crete last week and during only a few hours' walk on the streets of Heraklion I saw three OM-Ds: My E-M1+12-40 which doesn't count, another guy with the same, and another guy with the E-M5+silver 12mm and full grip. I thought that was a lot.

20. flamingfish

flamingfish Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 16, 2012
    Emily
    I just got back from a couple of weeks in Turkey, where I saw a fair number of m43s. Of course there were hordes of smartphones (many on extension sticks, so people could take selfies at arm's length), too many iPads, and lots of canikons, but I probably saw more than a dozen m43s. I never see any around home, so a dozen counts as quite a few in my book. There probably were more that I didn't spot. I've been strictly an Oly user, so I wouldn't necessarily recognize a Pana m43.