m4/3 zoom or a better adapter?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by drathquark, Mar 31, 2012.

1. drathquark

drathquark Mu-43 Regular

Feb 21, 2012
    UK
    I have a fair amount of Olympus OM lenses including a few zoom lenses, with a cheap OM adapter but I've found that the adapter doesn't seem to allow infinity focusing without ramping up the f number and losing a significant amount of light (generally f11+), the further the distance the worse it seems to get. This has left me considering an m4/3 zoom lens since the majority of the time I use infinity focus is when using a telephoto (probably looking at the olympus 40-150 based on the softness reported at the far end of the 45-200 panasonic) or to try again with a different adapter and I was wondering what others views would be.

2. Minniesmum

Minniesmum Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 2, 2012
    UK
    I had this problem with my first OM to micro 4/3 adapter which I bought via Amazon UK. None of my OM lenses would focus to infinity. Was tipped off about another type of adapter which I subsequently bought through eBay via a Hong Kong source. This works ok. ( the one that works was half the price....). I'll post the link if you are interested.

• Like Like x 1
  3. harrysue

harrysue Mu-43 Regular

Mar 12, 2011
    Are you trying to focus each lens to infinity or are you just setting the lens marker to infinity and assuming it was accurate? When using a lens on an adapter, the distance scale may be thrown off, so you have to focus rather than rely on the scales.

Okay, if you are focusing, but cannot reach infinity focus with any lens, your particular adapter was poorly made as it is too long. Just try a different vendor. In general. most are made on the short side, to ensure that lenses used on it will focus past infinity.

Also complain to whoever sold you the first one, If it's Amazon, you get your money back and the seller should get smarter.

• Like Like x 1
  4. drathquark

drathquark Mu-43 Regular

Feb 21, 2012
    UK
    I know most are made to focus past infinity, but this one takes a bit of persuasion to reach it, it isn't a huge problem for most things and as I said generally when I focus to infinity it is while using a telephoto so I was wondering if others thought it was worth it trying to get a new adapter just for that or go with a dedicated m4/3 lens which would have autofocus (which would be handy for more wildlife shots which I seem to take a lot of).

Minniesmum, if you are the same name on flickr I may have seen that discussion already ;) (I'm RSPatton over there).

5. Minniesmum

Minniesmum Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 2, 2012
    UK
    Hi yep it's me...:) the fault lies with the adapter regards the lack of ability to focus to infinity with older lenses.... as for AF lenses it's all down to budget..;)

• Like Like x 1
  6. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    As usual, the answer is, "it depends." Are you happy with the image quality of your lens, and are you okay with having to manually focus and zoom the lens within the ranges that they function correctly? Do you also want to save money? If so, buy a better quality adapter.

Are you willing to spend money, do you desire autofocus, and do you want smaller more portable lenses? Buy yourself some native lenses.

There is no one right answer. If there was, then the other option wouldn't exist. You have to look at YOUR OWN situation and make some decisions for yourself.

• Like Like x 2
  7. harrysue

harrysue Mu-43 Regular

Mar 12, 2011
    Adapters are not expensive. Just try another one. I've not used this one, but have purchased other stuff (step-up rings) from this guy.

Olympus OM lens to Micro 4/3 Adapter EP2 E-P2 E-P1 PEN | eBay

At the same time, the native 4/3 zooms are more convenient and less stress than most old long lenses of the same focal length, unless you have one that's especially fast. I wouldn't waste much time with old zooms.

• Like Like x 2
  8. pictor

pictor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 17, 2010
    Adapters are not expensive, but good adapters are. There is a reason, why it's nearly always a cheap adapter which produces problems as described in this thread. You won't have any problems with adapters by Novoflex, which are very expensive but also very precise. There are, of course, good adapters which are cheaper, I mention Novoflex, because theirs are the adapters I have chosen until now. Buying two bad adapters cost not much less than buying a good one at first.

• Like Like x 1
  9. drathquark

drathquark Mu-43 Regular

Feb 21, 2012
    UK

I think I bought extension tubes from him, and they seem fairly decent, might give that one a go. Unfortunately I've not had much luck with adapters so far, this is actually my second, where I went for a slightly more expensive one which gets closer but is still not quite there (I thought about returning it but it wasn't worth the cost to send it back).

I don't mind manually focus most of the time (actually have it set to S-AF + MF most of the time when using the m4/3 lenses) but it might be nice when there isn't much time to confirm focus, that said I don't really have any fast longer lenses, the fastest being a 135mm prime at f3.5.

Does anyone here own the 40-150 olympus and long legacy lenses, if so which do you prefer?