1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

M4/3 vs Ricoh GRD - Considering the switch, opinions please

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by andrew00, Nov 29, 2011.

1. andrew00

andrew00 Mu-43 Regular

Sep 9, 2010
    Hey,

I currently have a few cameras - I have a 5dmk2 for video and an X100 I use for most of my photos, which I really like. I plan on getting a NEX-7 when it comes out as I feel it can replace the 5dmk2 for most situations.

I'm a big fan of small and compact cameras for the portability and ability to relax. Since I got the X100 for example, I've used that for all my photos and the 5dmk2 has only come out when needed.

I use a Ricoh GRD 3 for most of my normal shots - i.e. my pick up, take everywhere in the pocket camera. I take it out on a night out with a Oly FL-20 flash and shoot black and white and I like that I can put it in my jacket pocket and go.

The price of GF2's has come down lately and are pretty cheap to pick up now and I was thinking of nabbing one.

I'd use the 14/20 pancakes or the 14-45 lens which seems excellent. I can compliment the X100 and use the pancakes for take anywhere shooting. I could even get the Panasonic FL220 flash for a similar flash to the Oly FL-20 but with TTL and some bounce, or perhaps the Oly FL-14.

I've been looking at Terry Richardson's blog and have been impressed with a lot of the GF1 pictures he's taken, esp the skin tones, e.g.

- http://s3.amazonaws.com/data.tumblr...598439&Signature=QaGAH5iFFPv9xIp01jQ4qNi5qfM=

- http://s3.amazonaws.com/data.tumblr...598437&Signature=XwQjjoC+En7EW52aq4EdnD6WcvM=

The skin tone and clarity seem really good to me.

I'm curious what people think, the GRD image quality seems limited to me and I find myself not taking it places as unless I'm going stylised B+W shots it lacks something. The GF2 seems a good and inexpensive compromise, hence why I'm curious for opinion.

Thanks!

2. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Legend Subscribing Member

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Could I suggest you also post the same question over on seriouscompacts.com (mu-43's sister site). A lot of folks over there have shot both the GRD and m43.

3. avidone

avidone Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 24, 2011
    Rome, Italy
    Well, I am one of several here with the GRD as well as mu43. I have the original GRD1 and I love it for BW street work, but do not use it much outside that area. it can make nice colour pics with a very particular character, but sure, not at the level of detail and dynamic range as a mu43, so for that I am usually grabbing my E-P1 or E-PL1. Of course, f you buy the NEX7 then the question will be a different one

Sent from my iPad using Mu-43 App

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.