1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

M4/3 vs 4/3

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by sebs_color, Feb 26, 2014.

1. sebs_color

sebs_color Mu-43 Regular

Jan 5, 2014
    Virginia Beach, Virginia
    Sebastian
    I know I can easily google this, and I have, but can some explain the differences between micro 4/3 and 4/3?
    Pros and cons maybe?

2. Vivalo

Vivalo Olympus Loser

Nov 16, 2010
    Finland
    Both have the same sensor size. m4/3 is mirrorless and 4/3 is traditional DSLR with mirrorbox and optical viewfinder. Basically the only benefits of the 4/3 system are optical viewfinder (if that is important for you) and better battery life. In addition to those two things you have the native 4/3 glass, but E-M1 does support those lenses also via adapter. 4/3 also might have better continuous auto focus, but for single auto focus I believe m4/3 has the edge. 4/3 DSLRs are so old that they have worse sensors than the latest m4/3 cameras. I believe the "flag ship" E-5 has about the same sensor performance than E-P3.

• Like Like x 1
  3. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    Micro 4/3 also added two contacts to the lens interface for video functions.

Fred

• Like Like x 1
  4. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    4/3 = dead. M4/3 = Alive and kicking! :wink:

• Like Like x 2
  5. sebs_color

sebs_color Mu-43 Regular

Jan 5, 2014
    Virginia Beach, Virginia
    Sebastian
    Appreciate the information everyone!

6. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    I've been using both systems for a while and, after losing my E-5, now have an E-M1 as a replacement. The m4/3 system has been advancing significantly since the E-5 was introduced and there is no reason to buy into those bodies anymore. After some reservations, I've found the E-M1 to be superior to the E-5 in every respect. However, there is one aspect to the 4/3 system that still bears consideration, and that is the lenses available. They may be larger than m4/3 lenses, but if you can get your hands on the pro and top pro lenses at a good price, they are simply outstanding. I have a complete suite of 4/3 lenses and that was my main worry about the E-M1, being able to use these effectively. I needn't have worried at all, they work as well, if not better than with the E-5 or my E-3.

People also tend to brag how much better optical viewfinders are compared to electronic ones, but try and shoot in low light conditions and the advantage of the EVF is magnitudes above than the OVF. EVFs act as light amplifiers and provide a much enhanced view of what you're framing; whereas, some OVFs are so poor that it literally appears as if someone put an ND filter over the lens when you go to frame. The EVF of the E-M1 is amazing in my opinion and just shows how far the technology has advanced in just a few years.

• Like Like x 3
  7. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Clint
    4/3s still has better telephoto lens options. At least we can use them on the E-M1.