m4/3 vrs Fuji X100, That is the question!

Discussion in 'This or That?' started by Streetshooter, Sep 24, 2010.

1. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus Subscribing Member Charter Member

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Please post your responses on the poll and then feel free to post a message about this situation.
    I posted some questions so that an answer is better written in a post. That should be obvious in the poll choices.
    You can vote for as many choices as you like....
    Thanks Shooter

2. photoSmart42

photoSmart42 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 12, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    Thanks for the poll! I definitely plan on buying the X100, assuming the production version remains largely the same in terms of specs, and assuming it doesn't suck at taking images (can't imagine it would, but you never know). I don't plan on having it replace my m4/3 full-body camera (GH1 -> GH2), but it would definitely replace the compact camera I was going to buy (was looking at either S95, LX5, or E-PL1+20/1.7).

3. akulya

akulya Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 21, 2010
    The fuji quite rightfully has everyone in a bit of a tizz, it is beautiful, and very well specified. It will make a lot of people very happy, I like the lens it has, but I will probably not buy it - as I would also like interchangable lenses even if it means a slightly bigger body, which I know it will.

But for me personally, the most important thing, is that it has caused such a sudden stir of excitment, that a little further down the road we might see a similar PEN.

That is, one with an integral viewfinder (in the corner please, an efv would be fine), similar classic "lecia" control wheels, and a couple of proper zuiko primes (come on Olympus, stop pulling your punches, show us some world class lenses).

That would be worth at least a grand, and keep me firmly in ยต4/3.

4. pdh

pdh Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 6, 2010
    It's very nice.
    I don't desire one.

5. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator Moderator Subscribing Member

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    Interested primarily for what it will mean for future cameras, Fuji or otherwise, down the road. Possibly some similar changes/improvements to m43, possibly a Fuji type interchangeable lens system, possibly something we can't even begin to foresee yet. I'm almost dead certain I won't buy this camera. If I want a dedicated camera with this field of view (which I don't think I do), I'd just buy another used EP or GF body and stick my Oly 17 on it. Maybe a dab of superglue to make myself feel like more of a purist! But probably not - easy enough just to put the lens on for a day or a few and be a purist until I get an urge to shoot longer or wider or both.

But there's some cool mix of cool new tech and cool old controls here and I hope it does well so we see more of the same from Fuji and/or others moving forward. In cameras I'm more likely to actually buy.

-Ray

6. Streetshooter

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    I've just talked to every streetshooter that was ever borne or will be.
    We all want the same thing. The closest to this is the M9 with a 35mm on it.
    I have a few friends, well maybe acquaintances, that have the M9.
    They could'nt see a lit lightbulb in a darkroom.
    But yet, they have the M9.
    So, the Fuji seems to appeal to the shooters looking for the simplicity of a non intrusive camera with a 35mm FOV. Hopefully it will deliver and I'm sure it will.

I made this poll to be out in the open, the thoughts of shooters using Oly and Panny cameras in the m4/3 format.
    I was assured that Oly will read the threads on our site.
    Hopefully we can teach them what Fuji already knows.

• Like Like x 10
  7. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro Charter Member

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    I'm very interested and intrigued but would want to see the results before committing to buy. In any case it is most unlikely I will be able to afford it, at least initially, but in a year or two who knows? To me it is certainly an object of beauty and desire. :smile:

8. Brianetta

Brianetta Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 5, 2010
    North East England
    Brian Ronald
    Shouldn't it be affect? It could effect people, but the meaning isn't quite what you might expect...

9. linkedit

linkedit Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 6, 2010
    New Jersey, USA
    very nice, slick camera. though it will not set the world on fire as some would hope. it's target audience is still extremely small.

i don't think it will affect m43 sales aside from the folks that went to m43 looking for a modern day range finder.

for $1000 i could put more into my m43 system. like get the gh2 which feature wise destroys the x100. but of course the gh2 is more of a dslr form factor.

10. Streetshooter

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    It effected a response from you... Dunno, what's in a splelling?

• Like Like x 6
  11. Fiddler

Fiddler Mu-43 Veteran

I'll buy one. Why not? I love my Pana/Oly m43's, but there's still room at the inn... You can't have too many cameras or pickles...

12. Rudi

Rudi Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 16, 2010
    Australia
    I voted "Extremely interested". Unless the initial reviews are disappointing, I will own this camera! :smile: Will it replace my :43: gear? That just depends on how well it works in my line-up. I don't hang on to anything that isn't being used, so we'll just have to wait and see...

• Like Like x 2
  13. Iconindustries

Iconindustries Mu-43 Hall of Famer Charter Member

Shooter, your last option in the poll made me laugh:rofl:

• Like Like x 2
  14. sblehm

sblehm Mu-43 Regular

Aug 28, 2010
    Unless it becomes an interchangeable lens system before release or comes in much lower than $1000 (~$500) I won't be getting one..

15. ajramirez

ajramirez Mu-43 Veteran Charter Member

Jan 16, 2010
    Caguas, Puerto Rico
    If the image quality is there and the price is reasonably close to the predicted $1,000.00 mark, I will seriously consider getting one.

However, if it had interchangeable lenses, it would be an absolute no-brainer.

Not giving up on m4/3, though.

Regards,

Antonio

• Like Like x 2
  16. deirdre

deirdre Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 9, 2010
    I think there's a lot to be said for a really good fixed-lens camera. You can learn a lot by omitting one of the variables, y'know?

F2's a nice aperture on that 23mm lens (35mm effective) -- but I don't think it's worth $1k extra to me over having the 20mm (40mm effective) f/1.7 Panasonic lens. If I need extra width, I can always get the 14mm f/2.5 for significantly less. I could also pick up a second body and still stay under the $1k mark.

17. mauve

mauve Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2010
    Paris, France
    As I said, on paper this camera ticks an awful lot of boxes, and if IQ is there, then it's a killer no doubt for all fixed lens RF lover out there.

But the price tag is obscene. Sometimes you've got to draw a line, and this one camera crossed mine big time. Even if they're extremely good (and they are) Fuji is no Leica. As a brand, they're pretty bland and no electronic device can seriously claim mechanical durability of the past.

It won't be mine unless there's a serious drop of value. Still, I'm drooling over the pictures I've seen of it. Shooter, you're torturing us ! (hence my vote).

18. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator Moderator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I'll be getting one. Only reservation is the 50% viewfinder with 90% coverage. I'm spoiled by the large, 100% coverage viewfinder of my GH1. Still, this Fuji looks to have a lot going for it. Barring slow AF, I'll be buying one to complement my MFT system.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Streetshooter

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Amin,
    Interesting response. Do you see this camera as an integral part of your MFT system?
    Could you explain?

20. silverbullet

silverbullet Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 10, 2010
    Could it be a wrong translation?

For me the 90% coverage will be the visible frameline in the full window. Same as the brightlines of a rangefinder where the coverage with longer lenses will shrink in a fixed window.

If the 90% would be 100% there could be no "free area" around the brightlines. So we get 100% after all.