M4/3 Virgin

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by dhewie84, Mar 23, 2013.

1. dhewie84

dhewie84 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 23, 2013
    Hello, I'm Doug. After several weeks agonizing over whether to upgrade my Panasonic DMC-FZ7 (FZ150, FZ200, G3, G5 and GX1 were the main prospects), I finally pulled the trigger on a G5. I posted in the deal forum that Adorama has a great deal for the camera, kit lens, and the 45-150mm lens along with a $100 gift certificate for $598.

Even though I've had a pretty nice camera for six years, I haven't really taken advantage of it's features. I mostly have shot in Auto mode. But having never been satisfied with much of my indoor pictures, I decided it was time for an upgrade. I've got three kids, ages 1 to 8, so they comprise most of my photos. Otherwise I enjoy taking pictures of most anything from landscapes, to wildlife, to classic cars, museum subjects, etc.

If anyone has tips on this camera (I'll probably be sticking to these two lenses, at least for quite a while), I'd appreciate it.
  2. mnhoj

mnhoj There and back again

Dec 3, 2011
    Los Angeles
    John M
  3. flippic

flippic Mu-43 Regular

Sep 10, 2012
  4. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    The G5 is a very capable camera. Those two kit lenses however, are not up to the task of indoor kids photos. You need a large aperture lens. A cheaper alternative is to buy a flash and learn flash photography.
  5. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    Getting a flash will be a good use of the 100$ certificate. Get one that as a tilt head and you will be able to shot the kids.
  6. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Welcome aboard, Doug!

7. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Nice kit. I second the flash advice. Be sure to get a tilt head. Direct flash is often harsh, whereas the reflected light is very nice.
  8. dhewie84

dhewie84 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 23, 2013
    Thanks for the link. As far as the pics of the kids, from the pictures I've seen it should hopefully be much better than what I have currently at least. It only goes to 400 ISO, and it's really not very good at all. I have thought about an external flash, though even the flash on this camera should be much better than my current camera as that only is rated at something like 4 meters.