M4/3 the way to go?

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by roadeh, Oct 22, 2012.

1. roadeh

roadeh New to Mu-43

Oct 22, 2012
    Hi guys,

I currently have a Canon 450D with a range of lenses that covers me from 16-640mm (35mm equiv). It's showing it's age and I want to replace it. However, the natural upgrade to FF is a no-go for me as I have big travel plans for the next couple of years, and would like the reduction in size, weight and conspicuity that M4/3 allows.

Size, weight and IQ are paramount to me. I will have a GoPro3 for action shots, but my camera needs to do everything else - ranging from a pocketable camera for nights out in low light i.e. a fast pancake prime? (although built in flash might also be handy) to landscapes to wildlife. I would hope to cover at least 24-300mm (35mm equiv).. although increased range on either end of that scale would be appreciated. I also have no desire to take a tripod with me (other than maybe a GorillaPod).

Cost is not really an issue, I will happily pay a premium if it is justified, and also intend to go second hand where possible. I would ideally like no more than 3 lenses, and the camera must obviously have full manual control, good AF and preferably shoot in RAW. Video functionality is not a big concern of mine (though I suspect somewhat unavoidable)

Another consideration is that the camera should be somewhat rugged (i.e. not prone to breaking, although I'll do my best to treat it well). I'm also concerned about investing in glass that cannot be used on future cameras, so a common mount would be appreciated.

The Sony RX100 ticks a lot of the boxes, aside from the lack of telephoto range. This is where I'm hoping M4/3 might offer an advantage. I'm looking at leaving in the next 6 months, so happy to wait if something is on the horizon. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Many thanks,

2. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    M43 will definitely meet your needs. With the 12-35/2.8, 35-100/2.8, and 100-300/4-5.6 you can cover your 24-600 equiv range with 3 very high quality lenses. Throw in a prime or two of your desired focal length in f/1.4 - f/1.8 for super low light work, and you're good to go.

• Like Like x 2
  3. roadeh

roadeh New to Mu-43

Oct 22, 2012
    Thanks, any thoughts on the camera? Is the OM-D the best option in the near future?

4. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    I think we are well into diminishing returns in terms of bodies. You pay A LOT for the weather sealing and 5axis IBIS. IMHO, the G3 is the best deal in photography right now.

I think G3 + top lenses will deliver better IQ in more circumstances than OMD + kit lenses of the same total $

5. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    Not for me. The EM5 is much better if money isn't a primary concern. In body IS. More DR and weathersealing as well.

For me it would be an OMD, 12-35, 35-100 and a 75-300 zooms and a 20, 45 and 75 primes. And maybe a macro although the EM5 kittens does ok here.

Gordon

6. roadeh

roadeh New to Mu-43

Oct 22, 2012
    Yeah thanks Flash I think I agree that, given my lack of budget, the EM5 is a logical choice. Was there nothing at Photokina of interest? Surprised there isn't something on the horizon as the EM5 has been out a while now..

As I said I'm wanting to travel light, so 7 lenses isn't practical.. I'd be happy with the 12-35, 35-100 and the 20 prime, but have a feeling I'll want additional reach (albeit only occasionally!).. is there a 50-150ish alternative that might suit? Or maybe even a teleconvertor for M4/3?

7. jim_khoo

jim_khoo Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 9, 2010
    Kuala Lumpur
    you can also take a look/ consider the G5.

8. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    The 20 and 45 are ridiculously small. Together they're smaller than everything canon has except the new pancake. Carrying both in a top pocket is easy.

For small how about a 14-150 Olympus and the 75-300 for your zooms. Then primes for speed. 12mm is as small as the 45. So a 12, 20 and 45mm.

Just don't ever even look at the 75 unless you're aware that you will buy it as soon as you pick it up.

Gordon

9. LeoS

LeoS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 6, 2012
    20mm has noticably slow AF. If you can wait, 17mm f1.8 is supposed to be released by end of year.

10. kinlau

kinlau Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 29, 2012
    For travel, I like my combo of the GF3+ 20/1.7 for a small pocket camera with very good low-light, and then my GH2 with 14-140 and 100-300 for everything else. I also have the Oly 9-18 ultra wide, this combo served me well for my last trip to Peru That's considering I also have a 7D, 5D and enough lenses to sink a ship... I did bring the 7d + 400/5.6 for the birds.

11. Laurentiu Cristofor

Laurentiu Cristofor Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 9, 2012
    A while? It was announced on February 8, so it is not even 9 months old, and either the camera or its accessories have been out of stock due to demand. There were plenty of interesting things at photokina too: the 60/2.8 macro, the 15/8, and the announcement of a future 17/1.8 as well as the announcement of a 45/1.2 and a 150/2.8 by Panasonic. And in terms of bodies, the E-PM2 and E-PL5 will make the E-M5 sensor available for a lower price. And it's not like there were no products before photokina either.

As for the E-M5, it will take a bit before they'll be able to put out a camera that will offer a significant advantage over it. Performance in low light is superb:

8114646619_0831cca154.

The above shot is taken handheld, btw. Image stabilization is so good that I've been taking a lot of shots at shutter speeds between 1/2-1/10.

12. arad85

arad85 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 16, 2012
    I'd agree on the 12-35/35-100 and 100-300 (I'm just waiting for the 35-100 to become available). Not so sure on camera bodies though - that's much more personal. Whilst the OM-D seems to have the best sensor and the 5-axis IBIS, it is small which can be a negative depending on hand size and a finnicky menu system which you'll either love or hate (I haven't yet got my hands on one to play with, but I suspect I'll hate it). Also the IBIS means you can't (or at least aren't supposed to) clean your sensor - something which is a major downer as far as I'm concerned.

I'd suggest getting your hands on an OM-D AND a G5/GH3 (the GH3 looks to be nearly as good a sensor as the OM-D to be honest) and seeing which feels best. No good having the slightly better sensor if the camera package doesn't do it for you....

13. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    As you say if you buy whatever is trendy what is to make you think that you are not to be outdated by the next best thing?

Well of course the 'big thing' about the OMD was its 16 mega pixel sensor that put it on the same level of pretty much the best of the same sensors from APS.

Now we cannot predict the future.... but we can probably say this....

1) It took 3 years for M43 to move from a 12 MP to a 16 MP sensor. So it could easily take another 3 years (possibly more, possibly less) before it moves to a bigger sensor.

2) In all likelihood we will see a jump in APS sensor technology first. They have a bigger sensor so it makes sense that they can make a better product first before it filters down to M43 especially as the technology is likely to come from Sony.

So in all likelihood, I would guess, what you are going to get sensor wise over the next 18 months is going to be tweaks rather than advances. Obviously you can look to things like wifi for advances.

• Like Like x 1
  14. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Well, if budget is totally out the window, then there are all kinds of options. The kit above is almost, what, $6000? :eek: we are quite literally talking airfare to somewhere interesting kind of price difference here.

The big thing in m43 at Photokina was the GH3. Unfortunately, it truly is a big thing!

15. Laurentiu Cristofor

Laurentiu Cristofor Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 9, 2012
    Never used a camera with IBIS, eh? :) IBIS doesn't prevent you from cleaning a sensor. I used Pentax for several years and I used to blow dust off the sensor after changing lenses. But I never had to actually clean the sensor as in wiping it with some solution; it is not that IBIS would have prevented it - I saw no warning against it - but it was an unnecessary operation. And with the E-PL2 I didn't even have a need to blow dust anymore. I don't know what Olympus did, but it figured out how to keep the sensor clean in their cameras.

16. nueces snapper

nueces snapper Mu-43 All-Pro

Well everyone has to make their own decisions in their own way. I had a Nikon D3 and L glass but was very tired of the weight and bulk. In this digital age most of us don't need full frame or even crop cameras and lenses given their size and weight. Action shooting being the main exception. And it has been proven here that even great action shots can be achieved with the correct technique. There's something like 13,000 or so photographic enthusiasts on this board who believe m4/3 is just fine. I might add that the ability to cheaply and comparatively effortlessly achieve huge telephoto reach is a massive boon to a wildlife shooter like me.

:smile:

17. elias

elias New to Mu-43

Oct 20, 2012
    You can find no better deal than the new GH3 plus 12-35,35-100 and either the 7-14 or the 100-300 depending your type of shooting.
    My 2 cents.

18. nueces snapper

nueces snapper Mu-43 All-Pro

Except when you are out in the field, can't really work with a tripod and you want to get decent 600mm equivalent shots. Then the 5 axis IBIS sorta reigns. :biggrin:

161012raw_conv_1_copy.

19. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Those are some nice looking turkeys (well captured!)... they best keep moving, only a month until Thanksgiving!

20. elias

elias New to Mu-43

Oct 20, 2012
    In that case a rifle with a scope would be handy!
    IBIS is an adnavtage, no doubt. I have found however the OIS on my 14-140 to be fairly adequate on the long end.