1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

m4/3: the new family camera?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by sprinke, Sep 23, 2011.

1. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Debi
    Last weekend I attended a birthday party for a four-year old. There were about 20 families there. About five of them had brought cameras (that were not iPhones). Of those five, THREE of them were m4/3 cameras: two GF1's and a GH2 (mine). I had the 14-140mm, someone else had 14-42 and the 20mm, and the third had the 14mm.

Could m4/3, especially paired with the 45mm, become the next family camera?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    wow, that's crazy. I have yet to see anyone other than maybe a tourist in DC pull out the m43 =)

3. nueces snapper

nueces snapper Mu-43 All-Pro

I always figured that interchangeable lens meant enthusiast only. Maybe that's changing. I don't think the family cam folks are going to be spending much more than a couple hundred bucks for a lens though.

4. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Times they are a changin'! :D

5. penfan2010

penfan2010 Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 12, 2010
    NJ, USA
    I've not noticed too many :43: users myself, but I can speak for my family--my wife and younger son use my E-P1 for most of their photos, my older boy will occasionally use the E-PL1 when he's not shooting with his Oly E-410 4/3 DSLR or his Canon QL17 film RF, and I use the E-PL1 for 90% of my shots and the G1 for the rest. :43: is certainly the camera of choice in our family!

6. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    I think that could be what the target demographic is. People who want better quality photos, but may be intimidated by big, complex DSLRs.

7. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Debi
    Or don't want to carry the weight of the bigger DSLRs.

8. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I wonder what the demographic breakdown of people who own micro four thirds in the US? When I was in Asia earlier this year, micro four thirds were the cameras of choice amongst Asian tourist. Even in S. Korea where Samsung is ubiquitous to the region and heavily supported, they seem to be trailing behind Olympus/Panasonic.

As for myself, I now tell people to get a m43 camera instead of a DSLR. These are people who will most likely never become hardcore enthusiast. Times are changing!

I'm not counting DSLRs out though, APS-C has a lot of support and leg room, not to mention Canon and Nikon have vast resources to implement years of photo technology into beefing up their cameras.

9. ZephyrZ33

ZephyrZ33 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern California
    Naw... ya'll are just hip in LA. :cool:

I still see too many Rebels and Dx's everywhere I go.

At one point we had a few MFT cameras at a kid's b-day party but we're all camera nerds.

That doesn't seem to be the case here in Cali. I wish I saw more MFT.

The only people I've met with MFT are the ones who also shoot full-frame, or film type cameras. Basically it's an alternative enthusiast's camera from what I see so far.

10. Where is this strange, parallel universe, where everybody has m4/3 cameras?

11. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    No kidding. I think that generally speaking, there's a real lack of awareness that mirrorless (let alone m4/3) exists. People get a 'compact' camera or a 'professional' camera, and I think a lot of people who buy the 'pro' option want people to SEE it. Really the antithesis of what m4/3 is about.

I just got back from a trip to SF, and saw many, many SLRs. Mostly kit zooms, and the few that weren't were fast fifties. Very few lens hoods. I observed two or three NEX that I can remember, and only one micro four thirds on the street. (And he didn't know what I was talking about when I asked about his G10.) Then I saw four m4/3 when I went into the DeYoung museum.

12. Yeah, it's hard to believe that just because someone has a decent camera, it doesn't actually mean that they care what it is :eek:

13. Dan Lopez

Dan Lopez Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 12, 2011
    I've only come across one m43 in the wild, a touristy couple in San Diego with a gf2/14mm and I glady took a picture of them using the combo. It was my first experience with the Pany touch screen lol.

14. linkedit

linkedit Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 6, 2010
    New Jersey, USA
    5 out of 20? Your math is wrong. Clearly the new family camera is a smartphone.

15. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    There are enthusiasts and there are spenders....sometimes they overlap, but not necessarily. But just because the spenders may not care WHAT they are shooting with doesn't mean they enjoy it any less or are less entitled.

I'm not saying that you implying that, but occasionally I see an attitude that just because someone is less zealous about their camera or their hobby, that they are somehow less deserving of having a good camera.

Sure, I don't want to look like the clueless rich guy with his pop-up flash going off and the lens cap on the camera while I'm shooting my $3,000 FF camera. But however he/she came into his money, he's allowed to spend it however he sees fit.

mini side tangent/rant over

16. winx14

winx14 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 1, 2010
    Brooklyn, NY
    I walk by Ground Zero everyday on the way to work, so there's plenty of cameras. In two years, I've only seen one GF1, a few G1/2's, and no Oly Pens.

17. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe
    For what it's worth, in the 4 months that I've been aware of the format, I have only ever seen one mu43....an Oly ep2. I have seen at least a dozen NEX users.

Also, I have never seen a single advertisement of any sort relating to any mu43 camera although the local leadin paper here in Melbourne...The Herald Sun did have a half page review/write up on the G3 at release.

In local camera stores, I would say mu43 related products accountant for less than 5% of shelf content.

A bit of effective advertising and the format has the potential to explode in popularity. My family/friends are all stuck on P&S because they do not want DSLR size yet since having introduced them ti my GF1 + 20 + 14-45 + legacy glass, all of them....yes....ALL of them are in the process of moving to mu43.

The family consumer who has an interest in photography and is able to recognize and hence desire a certain level of image quality now has the perfect option....Oly and even more so Panasonic need to get the message out there.

18. Not being judgemental, just facetious. I appreciate having a nice new laptop, but if a compter afficianado asked me about it, I'd just shrug and say that I bought it to do a job, nothing more. Same as the case here.

19. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    I'm not pointing the finger at you, Nic. But I have seen the sentiment from others (and occasionally in the mirror:eek:) and it's not flattering.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    I haven't seen a lot of m43 cameras out in the wild. I was on a cruise in the summer of 2010 and among all of the Canikons, I did see two other Pens - an EPL1 and an EP2, in addition to my EP2. And then about a year ago, I was in NYC with just my LX5 and stopped at a very popular tourist spot in Central Park (near the ponds at the south end of the park) and there was a huge swarm of Asian tourists and I saw more EPL1's there than I figured had been sold in the world at that point. Probably saw 15-20 just in this one group of travelers. So I guess they're more popular in different parts of the world...

Aside from that, have never seen on just on the streets in the US. I did see a bloke with an X100 in Seattle last month. An Aussie it turned out - he spotted my camera before I saw his. The only other X100 I've ever seen in the world.

-Ray