1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

m4/3 ring flash

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Adubo, Jun 13, 2012.

1. Adubo

Adubo SithLord

Nov 4, 2010
    Globetrotter
    Andrew
    hi! i was wondering if any of you have used a ring flash with your m4/3 gear? I'm keen on getting one for the sole purpose of doing close up wide angle (28mm) environmental portraits or portraits alone.

i saw this ring flash locally and for what i can use it for (well, experiments) i can have heaps of fun and creativity with it.

and for that little money (70usd) i can have a go and use it as my everyday flash with my 14-42 (lumix; the only one lens in my bag that can hold the thing infront due to a "Larger" filter diameter which is 52mm)

if you have any set ups and suggestions, please let me know :smile:

P.S i'm not interested in ring flash adapters (i dont have a flash in the first place):biggrin:

P.P.S i don't mind setting the camera up without TTL flash, i can always do test shots and the ring flash has a focus assist light, which is a BIG plus since i'm using it with a rather old e-pl2

TIA,

Andrew

• Like Like x 1
  2. chasm

chasm Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 2, 2010
    That one certainly looks worth a try - £45 here in the UK! I have zero flash experience but may well give one of these a go. Thanks for the idea!

• Like Like x 1
  3. Adubo

Adubo SithLord

Nov 4, 2010
    Globetrotter
    Andrew
    Macro shooters? Studio guys? Portaiture guys? Anyone?

4. Adubo

Adubo SithLord

Nov 4, 2010
    Globetrotter
    Andrew

No worries mate! I have a 'few' experiences with flash photography before with my old canon gear, never liked it though. And to be honest I didn't think I'd have much fun using a flash until I saw this one, a bulb lit my brain with tons of ideas

5. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    I often use this set-up, OM T-10 ring flash with a cross-ring polarizer, mounted on one of my OM macro lenses along with the 65-116 auto extension tube or the OM bellows.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Adubo

Adubo SithLord

Nov 4, 2010
    Globetrotter
    Andrew
    Aye sammy, have you tried using it as a portrait flash? Im really interested with it, and would love to see any photos taken with it. I just dont want to pull trigger without anything about ring flashes as a portrait lens. Thanks!

7. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    Two things to consider are will it cover a 14mm field of view and is the guide no. high enough? The coverage you can only know by trying since it isn't given in the specs. If my quick calculations are right you could shoot at f/3.3, iso 100, 3meters, full power. If that's adequate give it a try. If it doesn't work out you can always use it for macro ;)

Fred

• Like Like x 1
  8. Adubo

Adubo SithLord

Nov 4, 2010
    Globetrotter
    Andrew
    I was watching a youtube vid with the same set up (ring light at the end of the lens, wired to a reciever on the hotshoe). The problem he's getting is, at 18mm (aps-c size sensor; nikon kitlens 18-105), it vignettes. It maybe because of a wide filter thread (67mm. Which is far bigger than a 52mm on my 14-42)) OR i just cant use it at that FOV

No worries about the guide number, i can always bump up the ISO and im shooting the 14-42 at the minimum focusing distance most of the time

9. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    I only use this for macro, but many year ago I lent this to a friend of mine that did portrait photography. She was looking the "ring light reflection" in the subjects eyes and the T-10 didn't let her down. Her results were stunning, she was so impressed, she bought her own T-10 as well as the OM T-8 ring light. The T-8 is unique in that the flash fires backwards (toward the camera) and is reflected back to the subject via reflectors that are included. This gave very soft light without the "ring light reflection" in the subjects eyes.

• Like Like x 1
  10. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    It looks like it will be like a 67mm wide 28mm deep "lens hood". If that doesn't vignette at 14mm you're golden. The only other worry then is light fall-off. So that comes back to try it to find out.

You've got me wanting to get one to try!

Fred

11. Adubo

Adubo SithLord

Nov 4, 2010
    Globetrotter
    Andrew
    Not so much. You can actually change the filter thread you mount the ring flash on (adapters included 49 52 55 58 62 67 millimeters)

So it goes (on my lumix 14-42) 52mm wide i dunno how deep (this the crucial that will make it, or vignette)