1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

M4/3 Re-Start - Advice Please

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by brutto, Sep 13, 2012.

1. brutto

brutto Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 17, 2011
    I came back from a week in Italy short of cash and with a need to shoot tethered so I sold up all my M4/3 kit (E-P3 + 17/2.8 +45/1.8) and bought a Canon 40D so I could use it tethered with some EOS legacy lenses I've had in a cupboard for 20 years. That part of the plan has worked a treat and I'm ready to dive back into M4/3.

For some reason I can't put my finger on, the OM-D just doesn't do it for me and the G5 looks too much SLR and not enough fun. My first thought is GX1 + 25/1.4 +45/2.8 and maybe add Pana's two f2.8 zooms when my ship comes in.

What do you think? Many thanks for any advice.

Btw, some of my snaps from Italy are here.

2. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I think the new Pens are announced Monday. Maybe wait and see the announcement?

• Like Like x 1
  3. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    Brutto I'm still using the e-P1&17mm I bought from you last March (it feels like years ago), plus an e-P2&45mm.
    After trying all the other (well, almost) pre-OMD bodies I just found the proper Pens best.
    Maybe you could find another e-P2 & primes at a good price, people are selling bodies with very low expectations on price right now.

At least it'll tide you over until the new sensor Pens ...

• Like Like x 1
  4. brutto

brutto Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 17, 2011
    Good timing:smile: I think I'm going to research (posh word for dither) until after Photokina.

5. brutto

brutto Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 17, 2011
    Hi Ulfric. Glad to hear my little old E-P1 is still going strong. I agree about the Pen bodies, the E-P3 felt very good too. When a new Pen comes out, I'll be very tempted.

6. zucchiniboy

zucchiniboy Mu-43 Regular

Oct 13, 2010
    San Francisco
    I went from an E-P1 to a GX1, and I'm very happy with my choice. Autofocus, high ISO, and handling are much improved over my trusty PEN, and at I price I was quite please with ($399 with kit lens). If/when a deal comes around again on the GX1, I'd take a good look.

• Like Like x 1
  7. JoeV

JoeV Mu-43 Regular

Aug 22, 2012
    Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA
    Joe Van Cleave
    G5. Forget "looks," which, like style, are merely superficial. The G5 is a marvelous camera, especially with the new e-shutter that many people are discovering delivers sharper handheld images (and is dead silent), has improved JPEG output, great menu system that's further improved with the touch-LCD screen's graphics, better dynamic range and high-ISO performance, in a very compact package, noticably smaller than my G1 that it replaced. And, of course, better video performance than the older G-series cameras.

~Joe

• Like Like x 1
  8. spinyman

spinyman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 19, 2010
    San Diego
    Nice pics.G5 seems to have everything except good looks.Nothing wrong with valuing attractive design.I would wait a few days for the new releases.At the least,it should cause current model prices to drop a bit.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Definitely wait for the upcoming announcements. I think the new Pens will make a very attractive option.

• Like Like x 1
  10. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Agreed 100%
    The Digital PEN is my preferred form factor so I'm eagerly awaiting the specifics of what the E-PL5 will be. :smile:

• Like Like x 1
  11. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    I thought that was procrastinate.

12. dannat

dannat Mu-43 Regular

May 2, 2010
    Melbourne Australia
    New Pens will be interesting but. Still think the GX1 will b the best value body around for the next few months.
    Instead of the wide Pana zoom I'd look to the 12/2 (if pure lready going to get the 25/1.4 & 45/1.8)

• Like Like x 1
  13. brutto

brutto Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 17, 2011
    That too. Me and Hamlet both.