m4/3 prices going up ...

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Armanius, Mar 22, 2011.

1. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    A week or two ago, prices at B&H:

Oly 14-150 $489
    Oly 9-18 $579
    Pany 20 $349
    Pany 14 $349
    Pany 14-140 $749
    Pan 45-200 $269

Tonight:

Oly 14-150 $519, including an advertised $80 instant off
    Oly 9-18 $599, including an advertised $100 instant off
    Pany 20 $379
    Pany 14 $379
    Pany 14-140 $769
    Pany 45-200 $299

Adorama prices are all over the map too, but generally higher. I have my speculation as to why prices are increasing, but I'll refrain from commenting.

• Like Like x 1
  2. mach330

mach330 Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 19, 2011
    The OC
    I'm glad I got my panny 20mm

3. Iconindustries

Iconindustries Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Now I'm really curious.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Hyubie

Hyubie Unique like everyone else

Oct 15, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Herbert
    I've been price-watching the Panny 20mm the last few weeks (but still sort of on the fence, I can wait until they release the Panny 25mm and then choose), and I was surprised about the price jump. Amazon has been constant at $349, but about 2 months or so ago, they even listed had it at $320~ish. JR.com listed it for $314 for the longest time, then suddenly jumped up to $349.

C'mon, what gives?

5. icase81

icase81 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 22, 2011
    Philly, PA
    Im guessing they can't get more very quickly because of the earthquake.

6. pictor

pictor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 17, 2010
    At the moment there are a lot of people who would love to have only the problem, that some gear has got a little bit more expensive. When Kathrina devastated New Orleans, the Japanese were among the first who sent help. Now, after an earthquake, a tsunami and a damaged nuclear plant hit Japan, the tiny price increases should be totally irrelevant.

• Like Like x 4
  7. turbodieselvw

turbodieselvw Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 29, 2010
    Ottawa
  8. HelenOster

HelenOster Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 1, 2010
    New York, NY
    As retailers we are controlled by the manufacturers and distributors in more than simply accessibility to the products; discounts that we have previously been offered are being withdrawn on a daily basis as both Canon and Nikon struggle to recover from the earthquake and tsunami. In addition, with projected business being down for the foreseeable future, the ability of retailers to absorb the increased prices of Japanese imports will be severely reduced.
    Many products are not purchased directly from the manufacturers, but from distributors eg Nikon, Inc. (USA). Orders in process that retailers would have been expecting to be filled by incoming shipments, will be charged at the increased rates set by the manufacturer / distributor, not those rates which were effective when those orders were placed - even if the retailer honors the price of back-orders to customers.

Unfortunately, the Japanese Yen is at an all time high against the dollar (as it was following the Kobe earthquake in 1995), as Japanese businesses withdraw funds from overseas markets, thus increasing the cost of everything imported from Japan, and as this chart indicates: Symbol Lookup from Yahoo! Finance the US Dollar is becoming weaker mainly due to the Federal Reserve's QE2, which is devaluing the currency.

Retailers' overheads and running costs are fixed (unless employees are laid off). With projected business being down for the foreseeable future, the ability of retailers to absorb the increased prices of Japanese imports will be severely reduced.

The source of the funds used to purchase stock can have a huge impact, which is the main reason why MAP agreements are so very powerful.
    The financial agreements between retailers and the manufacturers / distributors are complicated; it isn’t a clear case that all the items on our shelves or in transit to us are necessarily owned outright by us at the point of sale to the customer.

More than this I cannot say.

Helen Oster (HelenOster) on Twitter

• Like Like x 14
  9. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    Helen-

Thank you for providing the detailed explanation. It's very much appreciated.

10. HelenOster

HelenOster Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 1, 2010
    New York, NY
    YW. I think it's important to share as much info as we can in these difficult times.

• Like Like x 1
  11. At this moment the Pany 20mm is $341.65 direct sale from Amazon. Free shipping.
    Couple moments ago it was $355.??
    All the units on eBay seem to be going for more $$s.
    Just bought another lens. Quench the 20mm lust. Last of the photo gear budget. No new tripod for awhile.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    Thanks for the heads up. I picked up a 20 and a 45-200! My second 20. The current one is going to Dad.

13. Hyubie

Hyubie Unique like everyone else

Oct 15, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Herbert
    I do not mean to sound soulless discussing prices and purchases (in light of the main reason behind these price fluctuations), but ...

like noelh, I just purchased the lens today at about 3pm, and got it for $334 (from Vanns, via Amazon). At that time, Amazon.com was selling it at about $379.

I have been wanting to purchase the lens since waaay before, but I figured I wanted to wait for the Panny 25mm that's coming up this summer. However, in light of recent situations in Japan and Helen's post above, I figured best case scenario is prices wouldn't change much (worst case is they steadily climb), and I am betting on the 25mm IQ to at least equal the 20mm IQ, which is unknown at this point. And I hope to get the lens early summer (not sure if Panny can meet the July date they set?). That's why I decided to go for it.

After reading noelh's post a little before 5pm, I became curious and checked Amazon again. At that time Amazon.com sold it for about $340. Now, 30 minutes or so later, Amazon.com prices climbed back up to $367.15, and Vann's priced it now at $359.97. I guess considering the price movement the past few months, I think I got a good price. (Best one I saw was $314 in jr.com until a few days back, and I don't think I can get one at that price anymore).

• Like Like x 1
  14. ksn

ksn Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 6, 2011
    Ebay prices seem to be the same, from the sellers in Hong Kong anyways.

15. noelh, Hyubie - you're going to love your new 20mm lens.

I got mine almost exactly a year ago (!) for full list price ($399.95 at the time). No discounts were available then from any reputable dealer. But I have no regrets.

It's usually the default lens on my camera (first and E-P2, now a G2) when I go out the door to work, a restaurant, or just to walk around. Small, fast, and very clean.

• Like Like x 1
  16. GF1 + 20mm + ?

The original plan was to purchase a GF-1 body or GF-1 with 20mm and eventually add the 14-140mm and 7-14mm to the kit. Procrastination resulted in being stuck buying the 14-45mm kit. So much for the plan. Based on the current pricing situation decided time to just go ahead and make the purchase.

Happy to finally get a 20mm. For the upcoming trip the plan was to compromise & pack the 14-45mm (which I really like). The 20mm, "normal" focal length lens for the type of potential images from early evening to later would in most situations be a better choice of lens. Very limited baggage and relatively "hostile" social & physical environment. Need to really keep things to a minimum. Right now everything need to neatly fit into a Domke F-5XB. Planning to pack the 20mm, 45-200mm, one GF-1 body and the LX2. Might try squeezing in the 9-18mm Oly. The banditos have me thinking otherwise. Normally they prefer cash over items. Just like the police.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    Wow. Sounds like a tough place. Have a safe travel and God speed.

18. eternallurker

eternallurker Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 22, 2010
    Where are you going if I may ask?

Around here, crisis is making bandidos and police take anyhing they can. Camera, cell phones (specially Blackberrys), sunglasses, etc. :mad:

19. Venezuela. Times are changing. Years ago safety issues never were a thought. Hard times or "opportunities" for easier money. Somali pirates, Mexican drug gang membership, small time bandits.

20. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    No doubt the crisis in Japan will cause an increase in prices on many goods for some time to come.

(And I don't see that discussing price increases related to the earthquake tragedy is in any way disrespectful of the people impacted by it.)