M4/3 or Pentax??? pls help!!!!

Discussion in 'This or That?' started by suoersta, Jun 1, 2012.

1. suoersta

suoersta Mu-43 Rookie

May 23, 2012
    Any users of Pentax and Micro four thirds, please help me out with my decision!! ... I can't decide whether to go for Olympus Epm-1 or upcoming Pentax K-30. The main reasons i consider MFT over Pentax is their size and the choices of prime lens available(i know currently there are not much but the 3rd party lens maker has joined the M4/3 alliances). But when i see the photo samples through Flickr, it seems like pentax took crisper and sharper photos than MFT does. But, from a few reviews which i have read, most of them said that MFT's IQ is much on par with current DSLR (including K5)...so i am very confuse whether which to get. Pentax does have plenty primes, but their best primes are way expensive. T.T

What i like about M4/3 : Size , prime lens , portability
    What i like about Pentax : IQ , weather sealing

I emphasize on IQ and i manly shoot portrait and street candid
  2. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    I think it should be m4/3 and Pentax! :biggrin:

Seriously, think these are much different beasts. Even though Pentax bodies and limited lenses are pretty small versus other DSLRs, a Pentax kit is still going to be quite a bit bigger/heavier than the equivalent field of view in m4/3.

I have a Pentax K-01 and Oly E-M5. When I go out deliberately to shoot, hiking or country road driving, I am able to carry both cameras. I use the Oly with the 12mm (can't find anything wide in Pentax land that is as sharp across the frame) and then use the K-01 for normal.

If I do put them side by side, using the PL25 on the E-M5 and the FA 31 on the K-01, I do prefer the output of the Pentax kit slightly (both are great). If I had to pick just one system, though, I would take the m4/3 because of the better flexibility and portability.
  3. pcnyc

pcnyc Mu-43 Regular

Sep 15, 2010
    I am pretty sure you are not going to run out of primes to use for pentax anytime soon:

Pentax FA Prime Lenses - Reviews and Specifications - SLR and Interchangeable Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

That's just the FA.

IQ wise, i've used k-5 for a while, and IMO it performs better at high ISO than anything m4/3 that's not e-m5. I haven't used gx1 or em5 so I can't comment on those, but ISO3200 from k5 looks better to me than iso1600 from e-p3.

with that said, I swiched to m43 because of size and AF speed.
  4. suoersta

suoersta Mu-43 Rookie

May 23, 2012
    Hey Krugorg, as in overall in normal sight of view, do both of them make significant difference ?? do you find pentax prime lens better than M4/3 prime especially the famous 45mm & 20mm ?
  5. jyc860923

jyc860923 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    I'm about to purchase the PL 25 1.4 in a few days because that's the most available fast prime for my situation, which I think is neither cheap nor very portable.

So what I mean is, you'll face far more options to go with Pentax for IQ and value for money, which makes it totally unfair to compare K30 with epm1; meanwhile I won't trade my GF3 for K30 as its substitute, I'd like to have a compact camera for all time, a handy tool is essential to me and DSLR is optional. So it depends on how you weigh them.
  6. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    I think both m4/3 and Pentax have excellent prime lenses. In general, I have found the m4/3 lenses to be a bit sharper wide open. The Pentax sensor has a bit more DR and less noise.... a little easier to work with in post processing. I don't think IQ should be a decision factor... you will end up with great prints out of either platform.

It should come down to size. Do you mind carrying around a DSLR (even if it is on the small side), or would you rather have a more compact kit? If you don't worry about the portability aspect, grab the K30. You can always pick up a smaller m4/3 body with a 20/1.7 later as your compact option.
  7. Shade

Shade Mu-43 Regular

May 30, 2012
    I love Pentax but their availability and aftersales service in my country is very poor..
  8. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    I use both, and wouldn't give either up...although I'm slowly seeing the possibility of moving completely to m4/3 gradually.

My Pentax lenses have become quite specialized, including the 15mm F4 (pretty comparable to the 12/2 from olympus), the 43mm F1.9 (which I really like adapted to m4/3), 50-135mm F2.8 and a tamron Manual focus 300mm f2.8 that I use with the Pentax AF-A 1.7x teleconverter that gives it autofocus (within a limited range).

With the release of the E-m5 it seems to me that the field is becoming much more level - in fact, I would suggest if you can to wait until prices drop on it, or subsequent camera releases with the current sensor tech; with the new 16mp sensor in the e-m5, image quality is pretty close to becoming a non-factor.
  9. suoersta

suoersta Mu-43 Rookie

May 23, 2012
    Hey Pxpaulx, thanks very much for dropping by. This is what i am thinking of. I believe that the M4/3 technology is getting advancing. Currently i might be seeing that Pentax is sharper than m4/3 but probably in a couple years M4/3 might possibly on par with or better than pentax.I believe that Olympus had proven this with their EM5.... that's y i was thinking of getting M4/3 which is compact and portable yet retain very sharp IQ as same as APS-C. But this is just my thought, i am currently on budget and desperately in need of a dslr, so i can't go wrong in any move...this is why i am here with this thread.
  10. Computer Controlled

Computer Controlled Mu-43 Regular

May 16, 2012
    Seattle, WA
    Larry Kleinke