M4/3 Newbie

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by tamim, Jun 21, 2012.

1. tamim

tamim Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 21, 2012
    Seattle, WA
    Well after months of following this forum I figured I'll register and make a post as well. So I was literally drooling over OM-D for months (which is pretty much how I got in here at this forum).

I figured I'd buy a E-PL1, which is on a terrific sale on Amazon/Cameta for 160 bucks, to try out the format. I've just ordered one with a 16gb transcend class 10 SD card as well as the 14mm panasonic from ebay for another $160. I had an aging Nikon D50 with a few lenses and I have to say I've always loved primes. After reading through this forum I realized I'm really better off selling my really old DSLR and jump to micro four-thirds format.

And like some of you guys I had so much GAS after looking through photos from legacy lenses I bought myself a Helios 44M-6 as well as a Hexanon 50mm 1.7 with m42 and konica adapters. Let's see how this goes. Who knows if I shoot more often with this camera I might even buy an OM-D later ...

What do you guys think ? Is E-PL1 with 14mm a good match ?
  2. Jorg.S

Jorg.S Mu-43 Regular

Hi and welcome to the forum.

The Epl 1 is a great camera and I have one too.
    I have the 2 kit lenses 14-42 and 40-150 and also purchased the Olympus 45mm.
    About 2 -3 weeks ago I also added the EVF 3 view finder to the Epl1 and it transformed it into a whole new camera, especially when using manual focus.

Enjoy your new camera and post some pictures here.
    We all love looking at pictures at this site.
  3. YantaYo

YantaYo Mu-43 Regular

Apr 18, 2012
    Welcome to M4/3. I am a recent convert from a Nikon D90. I purchased the EM5 and sold the D90 and lens. I do not regret it at all. The EM5 is a nice camera. Easier to use than the D90 and you can not beat its capabilities, weight and size and being waterproof. I will likely be shooting more with the EM5 than the D90. Most of my photography is hiking, etc so the D90 was just too much bulk and weight.
  4. JIA333

JIA333 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 17, 2012
    The Caribbean
    Hello! I am new as well, have the camera, picking up my lens tomorrow. I also got the PL1.

I went from Canon Powershot --> Canon Rebel XT --> Canon 40D --> Canon 5D --> Nikon D300 --> Nikon D200 --> Nikon D5100 and many lens along the way. LOL

Now micro 4/3.
  5. M4/3

M4/3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 24, 2011
  6. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    I'd love to hear the story behind that progression.

My own, Agfa (6x6 film), Exakta HS1(Pentax 35mm clone, fully manual, for 20 years), some early digitals during that 20 years including Canon Xapshot (1989), Oly C-700uz (2002 and stoped using film then), Oly E-300, Oly E-330, Oly E-3, Oly E-M5, Oly E-M5 (I own two of them, 1 black, 1 silver).