1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

M4/3 mid range zoom

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by srhphoto, Sep 6, 2013.

1. srhphoto

srhphoto Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 26, 2012
    I'm looking at adding a mid range zoom to my m4/3 kit. As I'm using Panasonic bodies, I'd like to get a lens fitted with IS that probably restricts me to either:-

P45-150
    P45-175
    P45-200

Optically, the P45-175 seems to be rated most highly, but it is the most expensive and has the spectre of it's much discussed blurring over mid range shutter speeds hanging over it. Is this still an issue with the newer bodies such as the G6?

The 45-200 is relatively large and has a mixed reputation at the long end.

The P45-150 seems to get some very good user feedback, but on paper is also weak at the long end.

So, I would be grateful for your thoughts, especially from those who are using any of these lenses on Panasonic bodies. I will be using them for stills, not video.

Thanks in advance.

Simon.

2. STR

STR Mu-43 Veteran

May 16, 2013
    I've never had an issue with the 45-175 and my G5. Granted, I didn't go looking for it by deliberately dialing in the shutter speed (I usually use A and occasionally P mode), but that lens has been nothing but sharp for me since Day 1. Only problem is that I wished it was wider at the short end, which is one of the reasons I'm picking up the 35-100. I think I'll keep the 45-175 though. It's a lot of zoom in a small package and is just small enough that it usually won't get me hassled at sporting or other events.

3. poopstick

poopstick Mu-43 Regular

Aug 9, 2013
    Burlington Ontario
    I also use the P45-175 on a G5. I've tried everything to recreate the image-doubling that we've all heard about, and can't do it.
    This lens is also sharper, and has better contrast than the other two.
    The icing on the cake is the internal zooming.
    The 45-175 is the clear winner for me.