1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

M4/3 lenses – Technical question

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by BillN, Jan 28, 2010.

1. BillN

BillN Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    SW France
    just pondering before lunch, (my wife is shopping and I am waiting for her to return with her excellent "waitress service" - sorry ladies!)

A technical question for you experts – I am not, (an expert), so some of what I say may be rubbish, (if so please patronise me)

Panasonic are now getting into Nikon price territory with their lens prices – i.e. their 7mm to 14mm zoom is almost 900 of our british pounds

OK – are these lenses dedicated to the current M4/3 cameras, (yes presumably is the answer) – in the same way that Nikon etc., produce DX lenses to suit their DX format cameras, (these being less than suitable for their FX cameras, especially at the wide end).

If, (when), - soon – they decide to fit a bigger sensor to the M4/3 format, will these current dedicated lenses suffer the same fate as the DX DSLR lenses.
    (I know the very expensive high end Nikons have dual mode)

Also if a larger sensor is fitted to the G1 etc., will it no longer be a M4/3 camera in the true sense of the definition, (i.e. does M4/3 relate to the size of the sensor)

Or am I spouting a load of rubbish?

(Oh, my point would be that DX to FX (has/is) taking time and DX (will probably) be around to complement FX (for ever!) - but M4/3 could move a lot faster in its development and we could see a bigger sensor this year)

2. willo

willo Mu-43 Regular

Jan 25, 2010
    London
    What fate have the DX lens suffered? As far as it's business as usual. DX format is not going anywhere and will be around for a long time yet, far to many Nikon users have a vested interest in them and having a crop sensor is advantageous for certain photography.

I can't see Olympus or Panasonic moving to a bigger sensor as it would defeat the purpose of M43's which is to make cameras smaller. With a bigger sensor you would need the move the lens further away from the sensor which means bigger cameras. Surely the reason we all brought M43's was to get away from the size and weight of DSLR's knowing a compromise was made on the size of the sensor.

3. Brian Mosley

Brian Mosley Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Welcome to the forum willo, and I agree with you... the 4/3rds sensor size is central to 4/3rds and m4/3rds system - Panasonic have produced a novel sensor for their GH1 camera which offers redundant sensels in order to provide full use of the sensor circle for different form factors... I remember Bjorn did an excellent illustration somewhere... just a mo :

Here we go, click on the image to see full size.

Cheers

Brian

4. BillN

BillN Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    SW France
    I said that the DX format will be around (for ever)

if you read the last part of the posting you will see my point

DX to FX took a few years - DX will be around (forever) and there will always be a demand for DX lenses - BUT if you move to FX the DX lenses will not be as good - and most guys trade up from DX to FX lenses

M4/3 as is has only been around for less than a year but popularity is great - lenses are expensive and dedicated (are they?) - EP-1 users are already trading up to the EP-2 because they are sold on the concept - Samsung have just release an APS-C sensor NX - how quickly will, (?) Panasonic move in this direction, and if so will the £900 Panny zoom "fit" the upgraded M4/3, (if that happens)

5. Brian Mosley

Brian Mosley Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Hi Bill, I went from a DX (Nikon D1x) sensor camera to a 1/2.5" sensor cam (the Panasonic FX01)... a bit dramatic, but the D1x had (literally) become a pain in the neck!

For me, there's a relationship of IQ : size : cost... and the trick is to pick the camera offering the best compromise.

At the moment, the E-P1 is at the sweet spot for me... but it would be a personal balance to make. The E-P2 is just an E-P1 deluxe (it's beautiful in black by the way) with an EVF for special occasions.

I'm looking forward to new m4/3rds releases from Panasonic, Olympus and hopefully Fuji to take that critical ratio of IQ : size : cost to the next level.

Cheers

Brian

6. willo

willo Mu-43 Regular

Jan 25, 2010
    London
    What makes you think Panasonic will suddenly jump to an APS-C sensor just because Samsung are using it? APS-C sensors where around long before Four Thirds came on the market and they could have easily used them then but they didn’t. Why do you think they will suddenly move to it now after all these yaers?

If they ever did then the mount would need to change for the lens to cover the sensor, so the 7-14mm probably wouldn’t work.

I wouldn’t worry about Panasonic or Olympus changing the size of the sensor. The GF1 and E-P1 use the same sensor as the E-30 and E-620 which have proved to more than hold their own.

Thanks for the welcome Brian.