1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

m4/3 lens on Nex

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by elandel, Mar 16, 2012.

1. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    Hi all,

I've just bought a Nex 5n a couple of days ago and I would like to know if anyone has tried putting m4/3 lens on the Nex system.

I suppose there should be an adapter on sale for this, but I would like to know if the m4/3 lens will vignette. I have a good kit of m4/3 lens and 2 cameras that I use so I'm not going out of m4/3 only waqnt to know if I can use my m4/3 9-18 on Nex.
    That should be great for me for shooting interiors.

2. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Physically, you can mount m4/3 lenses on NEX cameras with the adapter. However, you have the following problems:
    1) No control of focus or aperture
    2) No software correction of distortion
    3) Mechanical vignetting

In short, I don't think you'll be very happy.

The only place where the m4/3-NEX adapter really makes sense is if you have legacy lenses for which you already have a m4/3 adapter

DH

3. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    Thanks.

For the first two that should apply to any adapted lens, or am I wrong?
    The problem is how much is the mechanical vignetting? Is it really awfully big?
    I mean could it be a good transitory solution waiting for funds to raise up?

4. dhazeghi

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    No, with adapted lenses you can usually focus manually and change the aperture manually. With m4/3 lenses on NEX, you can't do either. These things are set electronically, and there's no way to control them without an m4/3 body.

As to the vignetting, it depends a bit on the lens. The wide-angle ones are pretty bad though (most vignet already on m4/3 bodies, but the distortion correction makes it less obvious).

DH

5. punkman

punkman Mu-43 Regular

Dec 30, 2011
    Europe
    There are some native M4/3 lenses with manual aperture and focus. Those would work fine on NEX.

As for vignetting, there might be some slight vignetting in the corners. I don't know how much. APS-C is not that much bigger than M4/3 sensor.

6. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    So the only way to be sure is to try I suppose.

7. AdamThirtle

AdamThirtle Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 10, 2011
    Newcastle, UK
    If they are Native auto focus lenses, it's just not worth bothering. It won't work.

8. dhazeghi

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    The only 'native' m4/3 lenses that can be focused at all are the Voigtlander and SLRMagic ones.

Normal m4/3 lenses are out, meaning any made by Panasonic, Olympus and Sigma. Same story for changing the aperture. This includes your 9-18.

DH

9. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    And Samyang/Rokinon, and I'm pretty sure Tokina.

10. punkman

punkman Mu-43 Regular

Dec 30, 2011
    Europe
    You could get an idea by shining some light through the front of the lens, and measuring the projected image circle. The surface you are projecting on, should be at the NEX flange focal distance. I don't know if this would be precise enough though.

11. The Sony APS-C sensor has a diagonal measurement ~30% larger than m4/3. I think the difference may be too much to expect the image circle of a m4/3 lens to cover the larger sensor.