M4/3 : flat pictures!

RT_Panther

Mu-43 Legend
Seems like that with the focal length of the 25mm, you haven't adjusted yourself to the proper DoF.

Nothing wrong with the camera or lens....

meyerweb

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
The biggest problem I see is really flat lighting, not enough contrast in the image, and maybe a bit too much noise (What ISO is this taken at?)

It's hard to do too much with lighting that flat and gray, and even harder with a previously processed jpeg, but the bottom photo below is after about 5 minutes in lightroom. I increased exposure a little, which lightens the mid tones, increased contrast a bit, raised the highlights and shadows slightly, set the black point, did some noise reduction and sharpened the image a little.

If your problem is that you think DOF isn't shallow enough, what f-stop were you shooting at? As people have pointed out, all else being equal, m43 will have more DOF at the same aperture than APS-C, so you'll need to open wider to get similar effects.

If you want to compare with the EOS, you really need to shoot the same subject in the same light with both cameras. Posting a photo from the EOS taken on a nice sunny day won't mean anything.

comp-ep3-1.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

troll

Mu-43 Veteran
It sorta makes sense and I guess I had the same feeling when switching from Canon to MFT, just got used to it over time. That's the reason why landscape photographers have been shooting (and still do) with medium format. Small details like distant brunches and leaves mentioned above just don't play well with small sensors and their small photo sites, they get mushy or completely lost. These differences become apparent when you make large prints (or pixel peep), but the majority of mft users just mostly post 1-megapixel images on the web so that's probably why they don't understand what the hell the OP is talking about. :smile:

That's the sacrifice you've got to make when switching to a smaller sensor for shooting landscapes. You get a smaller camera and lenses so it's easier to hike for hours or days, but in return you pay for this with lower image quality. It's not just landscapes, of course, and whenever there are lots of small yet important details in the frame, there'll be a difference. Whether it's a big deal or not is purely subjective, it may be huge (although unlikely between aps-c and mft) or not perceptible at all.

fransglans

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Gustav
Sorry, I have not the time right now for putting up comp pictures. I really would like to, but im so freaking short of time...

I will try harder and maybe come back another time.

But i am thankful for all your input so far.

Btw. I shoot jpeg, low iso. And YES, its PROBABLY all my misstake

I have tons of shots that im really happy with, but i will not crop any of them. Thats the "problem", but its not that big issue anyway, just have to get all things right in the beginning. My SIMPLE experience was that I could do much more sucessful cropping with the 50d( which is gone and sold) so really im not that interrested in doing comparisons, cos I already has done my choise. I was just curious to see if anyone had the same experience with the system as I do.

Maybe I can bye a nice tele lens that will solve the cropping part!

So people, take it easy, breath a little :) I love the system and will stay faithful to it:)

Take care!

fransglans

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Gustav
troll said:
It sorta makes sense and I guess I had the same feeling when switching from Canon to MFT, just got used to it over time. That's the reason why landscape photographers have been shooting (and still do) with medium format. Small details like distant brunches and leaves mentioned above just don't play well with small sensors and their small photo sites, they get mushy or completely lost. These differences become apparent when you make large prints (or pixel peep), but the majority of mft users just mostly post 1-megapixel images on the web so that's probably why they don't understand what the hell the OP is talking about. :smile:

That's the sacrifice you've got to make when switching to a smaller sensor for shooting landscapes. You get a smaller camera and lenses so it's easier to hike for hours or days, but in return you pay for this with lower image quality. It's not just landscapes, of course, and whenever there are lots of small yet important details in the frame, there'll be a difference. Whether it's a big deal or not is purely subjective, it may be huge (although unlikely between aps-c and mft) or not perceptible at all.

Thank u brother! For the understanding :) You got the golden star this day!

6x6

Mu-43 Regular
So I will not post any more comparison pics. It seems that Im kinda alone with these thougts:)
The main reason i created the thread was to see if anyone thought like me and if omd was any better.

I guess I stay away from cropping and are then more than happy with the output that I get from my gear!

Have a nice day all ye m43 people!

It took me a year to understand my Camera and to learn how to tweak its jpg-engine to get good results according to the situation.
And heavy cropping like on your children`s pic is something I do only with not to detailed subjects.

Sometimes I really wish for a BIG sensor, but even if affordable, such a camera would stay at home most of the time. Having a camera I can carry outweighs any technical limitations. My brother has a similar problem. He uses the Nikon D200 for landscapes and eagerly awaits the D600, but when hiking, its the E-P2 he carries. On a upcoming solo trip through the Sarek, backpaking, he is now down to 3Kg of photograpical equipment incl tripod, courtesy of Olympus. www.outdoor-lights.eu

On the subject of flatnes, I think I understand. When looking at the pictures of friends and family, done with a Nikon D200 and Canon FF, I noticed how "three-dimensional" they look. By comparison, something that was missing with my shots, done with Pany 20/1.7 and the kit zoom.
My new lenses, Pany 14/2.5 and Oly 45/1.8 changed this significantly.

Keep posting pics, thats what we are here for, too.

littleMT

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Lucille Sanchez
It took several pages for the cropping issue to even be mentioned, as I was trying to figure out what the OP meant by flat images.

if it is only about cropping, yeah, I would easily rather crop from my 24 megapixel Sony A65 then a m 4/3rds camera.

With that said, I try and avoid cropping, as by doing so, one doesn't take full advantage of the resolution of any given sensor.
but sometimes one must crop, as I know I have many times...

fransglans

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Gustav
littleMT said:
gotcha....... :2thumbs:

though it took 8 posts before you mentioned cropping.

But youre right, i should have mentioned that in the very beginning...

jnewell

Mu-43 All-Pro
Sorry, I have not the time right now for putting up comp pictures. I really would like to, but im so freaking short of time...

I will try harder and maybe come back another time.

But i am thankful for all your input so far.

Btw. I shoot jpeg, low iso. And YES, its PROBABLY all my misstake

I have tons of shots that im really happy with, but i will not crop any of them. Thats the "problem", but its not that big issue anyway, just have to get all things right in the beginning. My SIMPLE experience was that I could do much more sucessful cropping with the 50d( which is gone and sold) so really im not that interrested in doing comparisons, cos I already has done my choise. I was just curious to see if anyone had the same experience with the system as I do.

Maybe I can bye a nice tele lens that will solve the cropping part!

So people, take it easy, breath a little :) I love the system and will stay faithful to it:)

Take care!

If nothing else, if you have modified the original jpg settings, it might be worth resetting those to their original values and seeing what happens and then starting again from there with your desired changes. You can save the current configuration to one of the Myset memories so you can restore it later if you wish.

Latest threads

Top Bottom