1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

M4/3 : flat pictures!

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by fransglans, Jul 5, 2012.

1. fransglans

fransglans Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 12, 2012
    Sweden
    gus
    Hi, I wrote about this in another thread, but there were no response so I decided to share this in a new thread...

I went from canon 50d to olympus ep3.

one thing that made me disapointed with this trade was the more flatter look of the pictures.
    I guess it has to do with the smaller sensor and the lack of DR...

Now i'm not sure if this flatness is any much better with the omd, which has the same sensorsize?

I think some pictures taken with the ep3 reminds me of my old lumix lx3.

subjects near camera seems suffer less of this "2D rendering problem" than subjects in the background of the picture. The more I zoom-in (pixel peep) the more it shows...

Is it just me or have anyone else thought about this?

Besides this, I love all about m4/3 :)

//fg

2. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    I think you are seeing the increased depth of field of the smaller sensor. I find the m4/3 primes to still provide the effect I think you are looking for... 20/1.7 or 25/1.4 in the f2.8-4 range work for me.

The other thing that I find helps to provide a 3D effect is to add a subtle lens vignette in post processing (or burn, or equiv. preset), so the center will have slightly more brightness, which seems to give some depth.

3. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    How about putting up similar shots from your 50D and EP3 so we can compare? There is no doubt M4/3 produces more DOF, but it also depends on what lens you are using.

• Like Like x 1
  4. littleMT

littleMT Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 8, 2012
    Lucille Sanchez
    I see it the other way around, my 40d, T2I and new T4I has flatter looking output then my tiny E-PL1.

Though I am awaiting delievery of the new 40mm pancake prime, or the "Shorty Forty" as I have dubb'd it... for the T4i, so the jury is still out.

5. fransglans

Jun 12, 2012
    Sweden
    gus
    I have the 25 1.4. And I love how the subjects in pictures look in short distances ( 1-4meters) but the things in background, like people, houses, trees and so on seems to look very flat to me. And this shows off with small apartures.
    Sorry for my crappy english :) ( swede)

6. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    littleMT: Dang girl you have a lot of toys.

7. littleMT

littleMT Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 8, 2012
    Lucille Sanchez

I should also add my Sony Alpha A65 is also flatter, and I love that setup, my 35mm prime is always mounted and ready to go....

8. fransglans

Jun 12, 2012
    Sweden
    gus
    I have thought about showing some comp pic between 50d and ep3. I might do that tomorrow.
    For me its really obvious and Im surprised that no one seems to bother as me...

9. littleMT

littleMT Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 8, 2012
    Lucille Sanchez
    Maybe I don't understand what you mean by flat and a lack of a 3d look..

These are shot with my E-PL1, using both the 45mm prime and a 20mm prime, I don't see them as flat, and I believe they have a certian 3d pop to them, that same day, my Sony A65 was also used and just couldn't replicate these results.

jmz-1.

jmz-2.

jmz-3.

jmz-4.

jmz-5.

• Like Like x 11
  10. wetterberg

wetterberg Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 31, 2012
    I'm sorry, but this is very close to the arguments you hear from audiophiles lacking "dimensionality".

Pictures *are* flat. All of them. So we need better terminology in play here before we can say whether or not we think you're wrong, fg.

Typically, yes, what we perceive as a kind of spatial isolation is the decreased DOF with a large aperture lens. (as an aside, I personally think that's why bokeh can be so spine tingling - it lends a sense of space)

• Like Like x 4
  11. fransglans

Jun 12, 2012
    Sweden
    gus
    These pics are lovely! (seen them before)
    But I guess you dont really get what Im talking about. Could be my language handicap:)

I can get my pics to "pop", no problem! But things in far background is rendering just like they were shoot by a p&s camera ( like my pana lx3 did)

... I guess I must come up with pics to show for u guys:) hrmfff... :)

12. fransglans

Jun 12, 2012
    Sweden
    gus
  13. fransglans

Jun 12, 2012
    Sweden
    gus
    First! I dont talk about subject isolation, i rather talk about some ordinary shots on for example landscape with 5,6-11 aparture

I just asked about this to see if anyone recognize my problem. This just becouse a saw a big difference from the 50d. I know flat is not the best word, therefore I inventer "2D rendering"

14. littleMT

littleMT Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 8, 2012
    Lucille Sanchez
    okay, E-pl1, and background renderings... do these really look like they came from a point and shoot?

shot with the 14mm prime:

lemay-9.

cabe-4.

shot with th 20mm prime

chant-106.

ics-9.

ics-10.

• Like Like x 3
  15. With_Eyes_Unclouded

With_Eyes_Unclouded Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 17, 2012
    Vassilios
    Not sure what "flat" means in the context that you use it. The Panasonic 25mm renders better than, say, the Canon 50mm f/1.4 in my opinion. What Canon lens are you comparing to?

16. fransglans

Jun 12, 2012
    Sweden
    gus
    Copy paste:)

First! I dont talk about subject isolation, i rather talk about some ordinary shots on for example landscape with 5,6-11 aparture

17. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    My Fiat 500 Sport is jealous :)

18. littleMT

littleMT Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 8, 2012
    Lucille Sanchez
    such as these?

past-80.

mz-9.

tr-3.

mz-36.

• Like Like x 1
  19. fransglans

Jun 12, 2012
    Sweden
    gus
    Again. Your pics are nice. But we misses eachother. When I watch these pics on iphone I cannot see this lack of Dynamic range, its only when I crop a small part of things in background and make a picture of it. With my 50d with 15mpix and bigger sensor I couldnt see a big iq loss when i cropped a picture, but with the ep3, I mist be more careful.
    Hard to describe. And now its late in sweden, so I come back later, maybe with pics...

20. littleMT

littleMT Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 8, 2012
    Lucille Sanchez
    My Sony has a 24 Megapixel APS-C sensor, and I have to admit, the output of the E-PL1 is better in my eyes, atleast of the style of shooting I do..

anyways honey, I wish you luck and good fortunes, and I enjoyed this thread.......