1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

m4/3: detail allows more NR headroom for high ISO?

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by krugorg, Sep 26, 2011.

1. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    I was reading Soundimageplus' blog post re: high ISO with m4/3. I thought was an interesting read (thanks David!) and has me thinking of bumping my E-P3's max-ISO setting to greater than 1600, trying a little PP NR :eek:, and seeing what happens!

Soundimageplus: Micro Four Thirds is really rubbish at high ISO's - right?

What do you all think? What are your strategies for low-light shooting with the m4/3 system?

2. stratokaster

stratokaster Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
    Well, to be honest, you can see the ugly green and magenta blobs in the shadow areas even in web-size photos. That's exactly what I hate about Micro 4/3 sensor performance.

3. thearne3

thearne3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2010
    Redding, CT USA
    Which photos illustrate your point the best, Strat? They look good on my monitor...

4. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    In the top left on the picture of the guitar chrominance noise is visible. This can easily be removed with good software though.

5. stratokaster

stratokaster Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
    Just look at the shots of M9, NEX-C3 and Nikon gear.

6. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    There is also some on the lens cap on the end of the sony lens.

Olympus E-P3 14-42mm zoom ISO 3200 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

This noise is generated by increasing the gain, yet there is no light reflected( because it's black). This is read noise. Sony has been doing a better job as of late with its electronics and in dealing with read noise.

7. thearne3

thearne3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2010
    Redding, CT USA
    Just to be sure: you're NOT talking about the blotches in the greenish glass counter, right? You ARE seeing blotches in the dark shadows of the camera bodies themselves? Even full screen on a 24" monitor (full view on Flickr), I'm having trouble. The green of the glass counter makes it difficult for me: creates a green glow on the edges. The counter itself has a texture as well.

8. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    If we look at the upper left of this shot:
    All sizes | Olympus E-P3 14-42mm zoom ISO 6400 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
    There's a fairly non-uniform splotchiness to the noise pattern that is quite a lot uglier than your normal breed of chroma noise. I assume this is what he's referring to, and I agree that the asymmetric messy character to the noise is unpleasant. But if you shoot RAW and dial up the NR it won't be too bad for web-size or small prints I think. You'll see a drop in detail, of course, and there's the DR crush to be wary of. The trouble with shadows is the SNR is inherently very low, so even though you get a manageable luma noise pattern in the lit areas, the shadows degenerate to noise and it's difficult to keep things under control. If you're trying to capture shadow detail in the shot? Call Kenny Loggins. (Observe the right side of the guitar, which has gone flat black.)

9. Kiwi Paul

Kiwi Paul Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 15, 2011
    Aberdeen Scotland
    I don't know how dark you mean but I don't really have any issues with noise at high ISOs in low light anyway, this one was taken indoors with E-PL3 at ISO 4000 @1/60 f6.7 shot in RAW and developed in LR3.5, very minimal NR done.

Paul

P9220128.

10. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    Is that a crop or a resize?

11. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    Looks good on iphone4 and should be just fine for facebook, web viewing and even small print

12. Kiwi Paul

Kiwi Paul Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 15, 2011
    Aberdeen Scotland
    No cropping but re-sized to send to the Web by LR.

Paul

13. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    If you look here:

All sizes | Olympus E-P3 14-42mm zoom ISO 3200 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

The lens cap has magenta and green spots on it. It's not horrible, but it's still there.

So far, the E-P3 examples I've seen exhibit more chrominance noise and less luminance noise compared to the previous models.

14. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    High ISO is not just about noise - it's also about dynamic range and color reproduction. As much as I like my GH2, I can't trust it above ISO1600. Yes, I'll get decent ISO3200 from time to time, but not with enough consistency to say that I can rely on it...

• Like Like x 2
  15. PeterB666

PeterB666 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 14, 2010
    Tura Beach, Australia
    Peter
    Noise levels in the E-P3 are a big improvement on the E-P1 and quite acceptable to ISO2500. Extended ISO starts at 3200 and it is pretty much as bad as ever. Images appear to have a little less noise but detail is terrible.

Exposure has be spot on to keep noise low and higher ISO dynamic range appears to be poor.

I have my auto ISO set to 1600.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1