1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

M4/3 convert from Maryland

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by the_traveler, May 6, 2013.

1. the_traveler

the_traveler Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 12, 2011
    Columbia, MD
    Lew Lorton
    Hello, I am a long time Nikon FF shooter, mostly with the wonderful 24-70 and mostly shooting street style.

I have just lately switched over to the Oly OMD 5 with the Panasonic 12-35, thus replicating my Nikon setup. So far, I am happy as a clam with the results.

I need to figure out how to replace my SB800s for event work but that will come later.

My web site is lewlortonphoto.com and I welcome any looks at my pictures or reads of my blog on photo topics at the same site..

2. woody112704

woody112704 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 13, 2012
    Iowa
    Jared
    Welcome, I think you will enjoy it here. Its a great community and great shots on your site. Can't wait to see some of your photos up on the image threads.

3. the_traveler

Sep 12, 2011
    Columbia, MD
    Lew Lorton
    thanks for the welcome; I have found a couple of old friends here already.
    I have put some images on the street shooter II thread already.

4. thelaxong

thelaxong Mu-43 user

Jan 13, 2011
    Melbourne - Australia
    Welcome. Impressive street photos on your website. How do you like the OMD and Pana 12-35? Will they fully replace your Nikon gears or will you keep a dual-systems setup?

5. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Welcome to the forum! :smile:

6. the_traveler

Sep 12, 2011
    Columbia, MD
    Lew Lorton
    Thank you all for the welcome.
    The pictures I've seen here so far are quite impressive (at least in the street threads where I generally lurk)

Setting up the Olympus to shoot like the Nikon, which I could handle in the dark, is my first learning task. I have trouble reaching the aperture dial with my thumb with the grip on so that will take a bit of figuring out. So far I love everything about it, particularly the weight.

I want to take a few portraits with the 12- 35 and, if they look good, I will probably sell off my beloved D700, 85 1.4 and 24-70.

I have the 35-100 on order and will probably get a longer zoom for sports and a prime for portraits.

As much as I love it, there is no sense letting it sit and depreciate while I shoot something else.

7. gnb40

gnb40 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 9, 2011
    Maryland
    Gary
    I am in the process of the same type move (only from Canon) and in MD. Wish a camera store in MD actually sold u4/3rds equipment. You mentioned replacing the Nikon flashes, I have the older FL-36r and am impressed with these little flashes. Probably not for pro use, as the recycle time as the battery drains down is slow. I actually made the move to u4/3rds a few years ago and went back. Kept the flashes to use on manual with the Canon because of the light weight and small size. I used one last weekend to shoot in a heavy backlit meeting room and was surprised that the TTL exposure with the E-5 was dead on (didn't need to go manual). Now that I'm back with the OMD, I'll probably move up to one of the flashes with more battery power. Sorry for rambling on.

Looked at your website... images are really nice. Can't wait to see some of your pics from the E-5.

8. aukirk

aukirk Mu-43 Regular

Sep 9, 2012
    Welcome... I am also a fairly recent convert (about a year ago), but not at the level you are... (nice shots on your website)

Regarding the flash, I have the Olympus FL600r and love it... no idea how it compares to the SB800 though

9. the_traveler

Sep 12, 2011
    Columbia, MD
    Lew Lorton
    thanks, guys.

We should try a MD get-together.
    Slothead is from Frederick and probably one of the nicest guys you'll ever meet.
    The SB800 is big, very powerful and expensive.
    I'd like eventually to buy 2 or 3 flashes for the Oly and slave them in corners for events.

10. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    Welcome aboard!

I'm also a former Nikon shooter (gripped D300) and the difference in weight and size after moving to an OM-D EM-5 has been a great relief. The Nikon gear was very effective - unless I left it at home in order not to have to schlep it.
    The EM-5 is much more likely to go out the door with me.

:wink:

I'm sure you'll work out the ergonomic issues with the dial/grip; I've removed the grip from mine for most shooting days in order to lower the weight even further and I find that when I mount the grip the muscle memories are gone and I have to flounder a bit.

Obviously that means you and I both need to shoot more :biggrin:.

Regards,

Jim

11. swampduck

swampduck Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 29, 2013
    Taneytown , MD
    Dan
    I would be all for a meetup...keep me posted. I live in Columbia MD

12. the_traveler

Sep 12, 2011
    Columbia, MD
    Lew Lorton
    I admit that I was getting to avoid going out just because I didn't want to lug the heavy stuff.

As do I.

Lew

13. F/Stop

F/Stop Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 9, 2013
    West Virginia
    Brian Y.
    Welcome! I am about 30 min from frederick across the river in WV.

I am curious as to how you like the 12-35 compared to the nikon 24-70? I always like to hear the comparisons between the two with someone who has made the FF to u43 conversion..

14. xxjorelxx

xxjorelxx Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 11, 2012
    MD, USA
    JohnRae
    Welcome! i'd also be interestede in the Maryland GTG. I live in the Gaithersburg/Rockville Area

15. the_traveler

Sep 12, 2011
    Columbia, MD
    Lew Lorton
    Will try to look forward to a suitable event and find the right place to post it and also let you guys know.

So far, even having taken very few shots with the 12-35, I am quite happy. The IQ is close enough and, it seems to me, that the dynamic range is better.

If there is ever a decent day, weather-wise, I'll go out again and try to take the same shot with both setups.

Lew