1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

m4/3 cameras in sporting events?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by heedpantsnow, Jan 2, 2014.

1. heedpantsnow

heedpantsnow Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 24, 2011
    So, I'm going to the BCS National Championship game on Monday at the Rose Bowl (War Eagle!).

Their stadium policy specifically says, "No SLR's, tripods, or attachments". Does anyone have any experience taking in mirrorless or SLR's into stadiums? I'm not driving to the game, so I will be in a bind if I take my Olympus EM-5 but they won't let me in the gate with it.

Any thoughts? Thanks!

2. Wisertime

Wisertime Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 6, 2013
    Philly
    Steve
    I take my EM5 (and previously E-30) to Flyers games regularly and sometimes concerts. Never get a second look. However if they specifically state no SLR's, that might concern me. Most security guards are probably not too up on what's what. I can see it now.

Guard: Sir, No DSLRs in the venue.
    M43 user: But this is not a DSLR you see. There is no mirror box. It's a Mirrorless camera
    Guard: I don't know what you're saying. It looks like a DSLR to me
    M43 user: It's an Evil camera
    Guard: A what?
    M43user: You know, an MILC a compact interchangeable lens system called micro four thirds.
    Guard: Never heard of it
    M43user: Cmon man...it's an Olympus, not a Nikon or Canon DSLR
    Guard: Oh ok, you're good...enjoy the game.

• Like Like x 2
  3. heedpantsnow

Jul 24, 2011
    LOL. That's what I'm thinking too. As long as it's not a Canikon SLR maybe I'll be okay.

• Like Like x 1
  4. yakky

yakky Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Switch out the neck strap for a wrist strap. Look, its a point and shoot!

5. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    As the E-M5 looks an awful lot like a DSR, you might find it a bit more difficult to get it past security if they are really being picky. If you have a pancake lens, mount it on the E-M5 so it looks less like what a security guard believes is an "SLR". I would then wrap you longer lens in something like a Domke wrap, or something else that does not scream "photo equipment inside". Once inside, change your lenses.

Enjoy the game,

--Ken

• Like Like x 1
  6. Gary Ramey

Gary Ramey Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 27, 2012
    Aurora Colorado
    This just happened to me at a Rockies Game earlier this year. Todd Helton was retiring. I had a manual Canon FD 300mm lens on a monopod. A security guy in the stadium came up to me and said monopods were not allowed. It was like 20 min before game time and I had parked a good 20 min walk from the Stadium. I simply said well they let me in with it and told him I'm not going to give it up. He never pressed the issue but I did go read on their site where he was correct. I had been to like 10 games with that same setup and was never told anything. So I would say its a risk. If you took a small, say 17mm lens...who is to say its an SLR? You could have other lenses in your jacket or day pack but ultimately it will fall on whether they are well informed of their own rules.

7. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
    I don't know specifically about stadiums but at a lot of other events with similar restrictions, the new policy has been, rather fairly to be honest, "no removable lenses".
    Which I guess means, a bridge superzoom camera would be ok.
    Some venues have a coat check where they make you leave the stuff .
    A lot depends on how strictly policy is enforced.

• Like Like x 1
  8. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    I've been firmly told "no" when I tried to bring my E-PL5 into stadium event that stated "No professional or removable lens cameras" allowed.
    The security guard readily admitted that my E-PL5 wasn't a professional camera BUT it was/is a removable lens camera & thus not allowed.

9. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    I think with any of these scenarios you're taking your chances. There's venues that have a length maximum (e.g. nothing over 8-9" lens length), or specify "professional" or "interchangeable lens" cameras aren't allowed, etc. Then you've got the variable of how much the particular security person(s) cares about enforcing the rule, how much they do or don't know about cameras, etc.

My approach when I'm faced with these scenarios is generally to avoid taking anything with me that's questionable (for example in the past I've just brought an X100S which is clearly not a DSLR *and* easily fits under my coat or in a pocket). If you get hung up at security over it and you're not willing to give it up, you're either stuck outside the game or having to find a place to leave your gear, etc. - neither of which is a fun option.

With their stated policy at this particular venue, I think you could probably get away with the EM-5 as it's a fairly small digital camera, and doesn't make it look like you're going to be trying to take commercial photos with it. However, if you stick a tele lens on it it's going to look a lot more like a DSLR and you're going to potentially draw a lot more (negative) attention on that front. With a pancake or smallish prime on it you'd probably be fine.

10. Wisertime

Wisertime Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 6, 2013
    Philly
    Steve
    If you do get rejected, just go to another entrance. Min wage workers aren't going to put up a ton of scrutiny.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Mu-43 mobile app

11. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    I'm not the sneaky type myself.....

12. jamgam

jamgam Mu-43 Regular

Dec 27, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    Jamie
    I'll be there also. WAR EAGLE!!

13. heedpantsnow

Jul 24, 2011
    Thanks everyone for the thoughts. I think I'm going to try it just slung across my shoulder with the camera in back. Good call about just trying a different gate!

Jamgam, I hope you have a safe trip to the game and I hope we go home happy!

14. SRHEdD

SRHEdD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 24, 2011
    Viera, Florida USA
    Steve
    It is most often NOT the venue, but the ARTIST/TEAM who pushes for strict enforcement. The venue will have a blanket camera policy which is vague, the artist then insists it be enforced and adds the teeth.

Way back when, there was this little concert called Live Aid (the first one). I took a Nikon F3HP/MD-4 with a 80-200/2.8. The security guard said, "NO SLRS" and I was parked a mile away. I opened the MD-4 dropped out all the AA batteries and handed them to him. "There, now it won't work..." He accepted that, let me in with it, and I shot all day long on the MS76 batteries in the body.

I'd bet they'd let a PEN in over an OM-D.

GO NOLES!!

15. jamgam

jamgam Mu-43 Regular

Dec 27, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    Jamie
    FWIW. I'm planning on taking my EOS-M in with the 22 lens. Looks like a plain old point and shoot. I just want pictures of the Mrs and I at the game mainly

16. carpandean

carpandean Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 29, 2010
    Western NY
    The P14-42X works well as a P&S costume. :thumbup:

• Like Like x 1
  17. bassman

bassman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 22, 2013
    New Jersey
    Scott
    I've pretty much had it with events and venues that make paying customers feel like felons.

18. DynaSport

DynaSport Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 5, 2013
    Dan
    My only experience recently has been at the Tampa Bay Rays games and I haven't had any problems getting my G5 in. They check every bag and their policy is no camera longer than a sheet of paper. I have literally seen them take out a piece of paper and hold it up to the camera. Pretty much any u4/3 camera and native lens is short enough to qualify. I'd be really curious to see how they'd handle my G5 with a no DSLR policy.

19. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
    LOL, that is the weirdest policy solution I've heard of, but I guess it makes sense if the purpose is to make sure people are not wielding huge lenses and hitting other people with it.

20. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    That actually seems to be becoming common now, setting 8" length limit for lenses, which is basically designed to stop people with huge telephotos coming in and distracting or annoying other folks. The piece of paper makes sense because it's a readily available item that's 8.5"x11" ...makes it easy to spot check a questionable rig.