M22 Globular Star Cluster with Night Vision & GH3

Discussion in 'Video to Share' started by jdbastro, Aug 8, 2013.

1. jdbastro

jdbastro Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 22, 2013
    West Coast
    This shows one of the largest globular star clusters in the sky, Messier 22, in the constellation Sagittarius. Watch it sparkle as we slowly pan across the cluster. Taken looking into a Gen 3 image intensifier coupled to a Takahashi Mewlon 250 (250 mm aperture) telescope at f9.2 Afocal photography with the camera and 17.5mm f0.95 lens looking into the intensifier eyepiece.

[ame=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czkMSBJPsgY]M22 Large Globular Cluster thru Image Intensifier in Real-Time - YouTube[/ame]

2. PhilS

PhilS Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 24, 2012
    Brisbane, Australia
    Phil Savory
    Cool, The Takahashi Mewlon 250 is one heck of a telescope. Have you tried imaging with a webcam?

3. jdbastro

jdbastro Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 22, 2013
    West Coast
    No I have not.

Capturing video of deep sky objects (like star clusters) requires a fairly low light sensitive camera setup - even with the Gen 3 image intensifier doing much of the work (while looking into the telescope). I have found that the GH3 camera fitted with a fast lens like the Voigtlander 17.5mm f0.95 lens, does a pretty good job at nearly matching what the eyeball sees when looking into the image intensifier.

I have done some videos of much brighter celestial objects like the planet Saturn and the Moon using only the GH3 camera and a 40mm lens looking into a standard telescope eyepiece.

I have earlier posts in this forum of the moon and I think Saturn as well using this method.

4. Leeemma

Leeemma Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 16, 2013
    Is the green effect because of night vision? Or does it just look like that?

5. jdbastro

jdbastro Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 22, 2013
    West Coast
    Hi there. The green effect is totally due to the night vision gear. The camera is looking at the output screen of the night vision image intensifier. The output screen is coated with a green phosphor (P43 phosphor) which glows green when struck with photo electrons, kind of like the old fashioned CRT's of days gone by.

Without the night vision, if one looks at the star cluster visually, one sees pinpoint stars that appear a faint white color.

Without the night vision gear, it would be impossible to shoot a real-time video like the one posted. The night vision greatly enhances the captured light by at least 10,000X.