M10: Need JPEG to retain Monotone settings?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Desert_B, May 21, 2015.

1. Desert_B

Desert_B Mu-43 Regular

Jul 8, 2013
    Minnesota, U.S.A.
    If I set camera to Monotone, but only am recording in RAW, is there any way to retain the b&w settings?

2. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    take the raw into olympus viewer and export as tiff with the monochrome setting....alternatively learn how to do b/w conversation in your raw processor of choice.basic b/w conversion isn't difficult and a good way learn how to drive your software of choice

this was my workflow a few years back with Aperture... most raw convertors have similar tools

K

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  3. derelict

derelict Mu-43 Regular

May 5, 2015
    Most cameras record RAW this way. My Pentax gear did this as well. You can shoot in B&W and then once loaded into LR, it was color. Just convert it back.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    The RAW always contains all the colour information, but a sympathetic convertor will show you your B&W settings too.
    (Olympus Viewer for example.)

• Like Like x 1
  5. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Well if you are wanting to retain all the in camera processing settings, just shoot RAW + JPEG and use the JPEG. .

• Like Like x 1
  6. dwig

dwig Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 26, 2010
    Key West FL
    +1

All camera's RAW files contain all of the color information that the sensor records. The only camera's with B&W RAW files are those with monochrome sensors.

All cameras will record your camera's settings, including the B&W settings, in the ancillary data in the file's header. Most of these settings can't be used by external RAW converters unless the converter uses EXACTLY the same code logic as the camera's firmware. This means that the only external RAW converters that will be "sympathetic" (to use Ufric's term) with be the one supplied by the camera manufacturer since only it will have legal access to the company's proprietary code.

Other converters can only use the few standardized values (color temp, ...) and make their own default settings for everything else. Truth be told, you will get the best B&W conversions if you make your own adjustments in an external RAW converter whether or not you prefer to use a "sympathetic" converter's camera-based starting point, another converter's own default B&W conversion, or some other preset conversion setting (e.g. the many many B&W conversion presets for Lightroom from Adobe and 3rd parties, ...). Personally, I almost always use Lr's default conversion as a starting point and them make my own alterations from there.

• Like Like x 1