M10 is nice camera.... A few 4/3rds questions

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Dogbert62, Sep 24, 2014.

1. Dogbert62

Dogbert62 Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 24, 2014
    Austin, TX
    Patrick
    Picked up an M10 to use for street. I was going to add a Nikon 35mm (FX) to my long list of DX and FX, but with the summer15%, I was able to purchase a refurb'ed M10 with the IIR for LESS than the cost of the Nikon lens.. So far I am stoked... especially since it only had ~110 shots on it

Pros
    Real time Histogram.
    Focus peaking
    EVF information allows me to change shooting parameters and SEE what the difference is..
    Size.. I almost laughed when I set it next to my "small" D7000 w/35mm (Dx). What a difference

Cons
    battery life.. I never considered spare batteries in the past
    Base ISO noise. workable... but a surprise
    (none of these *should* have surprised...)

Questions..
    1) I have read through many "battery life" threads but was wondering if anyone can guesstimate the difference in "photos per battery charge" between IBIS on and off?
    2) If I turn off the LCD, does it make sense to turn off the eye sensor or leave it on.
    3) is 220 RAW+JPG photos reasonable for a M10 without any battery management on one battery charge??
    4)The battery had a 2012 date stamp.. seemed a bit older than I would have expected.. Any thoughts? Did somebody return the camera with an older battery?

5) What are the chances that the O25mm f/1.8 goes on sale by the end of the year at the big online players? I have almost pulled the trigger on the refurb but would rather go for a $50 rebate, or "Black Friday" deal from one of the online guys. I see the 17mm, 45mm, 75mm from time to time but didn't see the 25mm without it being tied to a body purchase.

So far, my other cameras are collecting dust as I am having a bunch of fun with this little guy..

Regards,
    Dogbert

2. sammykhalifa

sammykhalifa Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 22, 2012
    Pittsburgh PA
    Neil
    Can't answer most of your questions, but my battery is listed as 2012 as well. They must just still have a lot of them . . .

3. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    #1 - this is non-scientific, but I'm getting the feeling that I might lose 10% battery life over the course of the charge if I leave the IBIS on all the time.

#2 - this is a personal shooting preference. I turn the eye sensor off as I use the EVF 99% of the time. The other 1% of the time the articulating LCD is used, but I have always had time to turn it on when I needed/wanted it.

#3 - Yes, seems like it. Having a new camera, you will use up more battery because you will chimp a bit more and be menu diving more, as well as "playing" more. This is normal and once you get comfortable with the camera and get it optimized for how you shoot, you will see an increase in battery life. Sometimes new batteries need to be charged/discharged a few cycles before they become optimal, but since this is a refurb, that might have already occurred. Also, shooting RAW + JPG means the camera has to do 2 write operations for every shutter press, so double the work. RAW files are also larger and take more energy to store. So with that and the fact that you are essentially taking 2 pictures - you could be getting anywhere between 300-400 shots per charge if you shot. say....JPG only.

#4 - batteries are made in large batches, so having a 2012 time stamp on it is probably not a big deal.

#5 - If you want need the lens, then get it now. I buy from reputable dealers like B&H, Adorama, and KEH for used gear all the time. I've only bought 2 of my m43 lenses new (kit lens that came with the camera and the Oly 17/1.8. All the others were used.

4. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    1. I've always left it on and never noticed an issue I've gotten 800 shots with my E-M5 in one session (I use a grip with two batteries and shot 1600 shots and was still shooting, using the viewfinder rather than the monitor).
    2. I've disabled the eye sensor and toggle between the two displays using the button on the viewfinder. Except with E-M5 with doing this you can't get to the super control panel (for some stupid reason)
    3. writing both types of files takes a LOT longer, and that means poorer battery performance. Also it takes a few charge/discharge cycles to get full life from the battery.
    4. I got two with 2013-03, and two with 2012-09, but the I bought two a year later.
    5. can't answer.

5. tyrphoto

tyrphoto Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2014
    Seoul | NYC
    ㅇtㅈyㅅr
    Congrats on the new camera.

1. Don't know. I use cameras the way I need and want to, battery be damned. Just buy an extra battery or two if one battery can't get you thru a day.
    2. Personal preference.
    3. 220 shots sounds certainly reasonable. The most I've shot on my EM1 is about 800 shots RAW+JPG before battery died.
    4. 2012 date stamp is not out of the ordinary.
    5. If you want/need the Olympus 25/1.8 buy it now and start enjoying it. IMO, $50 isn't significant enough to deprive myself of enjoying a great lens. We all spend money in silly ways and sometimes $50 spent for enjoyment is priceless. Certainly more enjoyable and worthwhile than 10 cups of coffee at Starbucks. :biggrin:

6. Carrera_C

Carrera_C Mu-43 Rookie

May 8, 2011
    Scotland
    Regarding the battery life. Are you using the Wifi? I imagine that would shorten the battery life, if it's not being used I'd try shutting that off.

7. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    Wait, what? I manually switch between EVF and LCD, can't stand the sensor. I have access to SCP in either view.

Also, to the OP, I'm not sure if using the EVF vs LCD saves any battery life. At least, when the E-M5 came out, I recall tests finding very little difference if any. Not sure if this has been redone by anyone. I assume this is why you're asking about it.

8. Dogbert62

Dogbert62 Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 24, 2014
    Austin, TX
    Patrick
    All,

Thanks for the help... Since I bought a refurb, the ultimate question is "Did I get a camera that wasn't working correctly?". The replies suggest that my system is fine...
    I have a couple batteries on order and will hold off on the O25mm since I have the O17mm and want to get comfortable with the FL... as long as GAS doesn't kick in...
    I have been systematically turning off stuff that I do not plan to use...
    Eye sensor is off
    LCD is off
    Wifi is off
    On/off switch is getting used most times now..

IBIS is on since Gryphon guesses a 10% hit
    RAW+JPG will likely loose the JPG to see if it makes a difference.

I am hoping to get to a full days worth of shooting out of one battery. If I don't, no worries..

This is my street rig. All I really desire is the M10, O17mm and O25mm. Once I get a better handle on the base ISO noise and how to handle it in post, I may try the O45mm for the grandkids and the O12mm (or WA zoom) for landscapes.
    Again, Canikon could learn a bunch from this little gem. It is truly fun to shoot and my keeper rate has gone up significantly... at least from an exposure point of view

Thanks all for the help
    Dogbert62

9. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    "Did I get a camera that wasn't working properly? "

That is a possibility, but they could also be from someone who just returned it, could also be one that was used as a demo unit.

I've bought plenty of refurbished camera and lenses, never had an issue with them. I think you'll be just fine.