M1 mkII VS M5 mkIII

GADR

New to Mu-43
Hello, I'm keen to hear your recommendations. I'm deciding between a M1 mkII and M5 MKIII. I'm mostly enthusiast portrait and street photographer not so skillful but with some experience on specs and trying to learn every week.

Since M1 mkII second hand is already cheaper than M5 mkIII what would you recommend?

For me size and weight of both options is not a big deal.

Sniksekk

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I would buy what ever gave me the longest warranty.
AFAIK em1-2 and em5-3 are so equal (but not 100%), that I would rather buy a new 5-3 then a second hand 1-2.

pake

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Teemu
The size is the most notable difference. I'd make the decision based on the ergonomics. Which one do you prefer in your hands? Pick that one.

moonraker

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I think it depends on what lenses you will most use on it, I use the 100-400 a lot, and find the em1.2 better than a em5 sized body (even with a grip). As you said street, then the em5iii is perhaps the right choice?

RAH

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Rich
The E-M5III has some features that the E-M1II doesn't. The most obvious one is the ability to charge the battery in-camera. That was a feature I really wanted (even if I didn't care about the size, which I do). I think you should look for other improvements with the E-M5III (e.g. bluetooth). It is a more up-to-date camera, after all.

davidzvi

Super Moderator
Real Name
David
Size and battery would be the big factors for me. I have a smaller body already so my pick would be and is the E-M1.2. My E-M1.2 is in really good condition, so if I really wanted to I could sell it and get the E-M5.3 if I really wanted to.

You mentioned street and portraits. Unless you're using the 40-150 Pro for portraits either body would probably be fine. But the E-M1.2 would probably be more comfortable if you have the 75mm f/1.8 or one of the other larger primes.

Otherwise...... the E-M5.3 has bluetooth if that makes a difference.

Koriolan

Mu-43 Rookie
I got my Mark III to replace E-M1 mark I ( not II). One of the first new features I spotted, while configuring the camera is
in AUTO- ISO mode you can set the threshold value of shutter speed, when the ISO is being increased.
Finally !

pake

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Teemu
I got my Mark III to replace E-M1 mark I ( not II). One of the first new features I spotted, while configuring the camera is
in AUTO- ISO mode you can set the threshold value of shutter speed, when the ISO is being increased.
Finally !
Yeah, one of my favorite new features that I have been longing for for years and years. So simple yet so useful. Brilliant. :)

ArizonaMike

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I have both of these cameras and I can think of pluses and minuses for each. I think it depends upon the type of shooting that you do and your personal preferences. For me, I have found that the M5.3 is missing some very minor, but to me pretty important, functionality compared to the M1.2.

M5.3 Minuses (for me)

1) There is no menu item that lets you set the folder name on the M5.3. That probably seems like a very minor issue but I use those to separate normal photos, HDR shots, panoramas and the 8mm FE images. Thus, without that ability, I end up having to go through the photos and manually separate them. If you don't do that type of photography it is probably not important.

2) There is really only one Custom mode on the M5.3 compared to 3 on the M1.2, although there are C2 and C3 modes that allow you set to specific modes but require that you go to the menu system to retrieve them. Since I have my M1.2 set up to use all 3 custom modes on the dial (HDR, BIF and Panorama and, alternately, the 3 automatically de-fished 8mm FE images) I have to spend time on the M5.3 to drag those out of the menu.

3) There is only one sd card slot in the M5.3 compared to 2 in the M1.2.

M5.3 Pluses (for me)

1) The M5.3 is significantly smaller and lighter than the M1.2 and that is the primary reason that I bought it to use as my walk-around camera. I can use the M5.3 with something like the Olympus 14-42 or the Panasonic 12-32 and hardly notice that I am carrying a camera around at all.

2) The M5.3 allows for in-camera battery charging and for external power for normal shooting if you wish. I do not believe that the M1.2 has either of those abilities (perhaps someone will correct me if I am wrong about that).

For most of the shooting that I do the two cameras are interchangeable other than the items I mentioned. Both have a good eShutter, both have Pro Capture, both have the same sensor size and the same focus system (as far as I know). I have seen no difference in the quality of the photos between the two cameras. Both use the same remote shutter release and both can be connected to my computer to remove photos.

I have only had my M5.3 for 2 days so I may not have noticed some significant differences in the menu system but other than the missing folder naming ability the menus seem pretty much the same. I believe that there may be some small differences in timing for the delayed shutter menu item but I am not sure about that and would need to check the menus to be absolutely certain. Both allow you to take high res photos although the M1.2 seems to have a bit more ability to select the size of the HR output. That is, on the M5.3 you get an HR raw, a standard raw and an HR jpg. On the M1.2 you have a bit more choice in what resolution you want in your output images.

In most other respects the two cameras seem pretty much identical to me.

Last edited:

Michael Meissner

Mu-43 Top Veteran
M5.3 Pluses (for me)

2) The M5.3 allows for in-camera battery charging and for external power for normal shooting if you wish. I do not believe that the M1.2 has either of those abilities (perhaps someone will correct me if I am wrong about that).
It only has in-camera charging when the E-m5 mark III is turned off. When I borrowed the E-m5 mark III before buying it, I did notice the battery was a bit drained after attempting to shoot some eagles. I tried to charge it in the car on my way to the next thing I was going to shoot. But I left the camera on, and it didn't charge the battery. Fortunately, I had BLS-5/BLS-50 batteries from other cameras along with me. I wouldn't have been able to do that with the E-m1 mark III, since I don't have any cameras with the BLH battery.

Also, you cannot power the camera via the USB port. You can do this in the E-m1 mark III, providing you have a power source that supports USB-C with PD (power distribution). Unfortunately in my house, while my new cell phones have switched to USB-C connectors, I don't yet have any battery that supports USB-C PD. I tried powering the E-m1 mark III without the battery using the charging cable for the phones and it wouldn't turn on.

You can power the camera using a dummy battery and an external power source that can deliver 9 volts and 1 amp of power. I have a setup where selected batteries that can deliver 5v/2.1a over the USB socket, gets the voltage boosted to 9v/1a of power. I did try it on the E-m5 mark III before buying it, and I was able to power the camera.

The downside is in order to remove the battery door, you have to take out a small screw. I just know that if I take off the door, eventually I will lose the screw.

Now on your E-m1 mark II, if you have the battery grip, it has a socket for Olympus's overpriced A/C adapter. Unlike earlier cameras, it uses a standard 5.5mm x 2.1mm power jack, so you can power the camera with external power, without taking off the battery door. As far as I know, the E-m1 mark II does not have the 5.5mm x 2.1mm port on the camera body itself.

The E-m5 mark I/II also had battery grips, but the E-m5 mark III lost the ability to have a battery grip, presumably for market segmentation.

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Is the value focal dependant?
YUP
When I was testing out the Auto-ISO on the mk2, it used 1/(FL x 2) as the floor.
You can also set your own floor.

The mk1 does the same 1/(FL x 2) floor with the mechanical shutter.
BUT, the e-shutter does not. The e-shutter goes down to about 1/13 sec, before the ISO would start to go up, regardless of FL set. IOW, a bug in the logic, which has not been fixed as of the last FW update. So you need to be careful when using the e-shutter and auto-ISO in dim light. By the time it raises the ISO, the shutter speed is tooooo slow for anything but static subjects.

pake

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Teemu
Is the value focal dependant?
Based on my brief test: no it's not: But since ac12 above states opposite, I need to make sure. But I'm almost (99.5%) sure the camera respects the shutter speed limit set in the menu and doesn't take the focal length to consideration.

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Based on my brief test: no it's not: But since ac12 above states opposite, I need to make sure. But I'm almost (99.5%) sure the camera respects the shutter speed limit set in the menu and doesn't take the focal length to consideration.
My test with the EM-mk2 was not using the user entered shutter speed floor, only the auto mode.
I did that to compare with the mk1, which was misbehaving when using the e-shutter.
I did not test the user entered shutter speed floor.

bargainguy

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Don
I was in the market for a 20MP body, and deciding between the M1iii, the M5iii and the G9.

In the end, I wound up with a slightly used M5iii. I applaud Olympus for packing so many features into such a small and light camera.

Would I have been happy with the other two? Probably. My rationale is that the lightest camera is the one I always want to take along, as long as it doesn't compromise IQ or have ergonomic challenges.

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I was in the market for a 20MP body, and deciding between the M1iii, the M5iii and the G9.

In the end, I wound up with a slightly used M5iii. I applaud Olympus for packing so many features into such a small and light camera.

Would I have been happy with the other two? Probably. My rationale is that the lightest camera is the one I always want to take along, as long as it doesn't compromise IQ or have ergonomic challenges.
I have an EM10 + 14-42EZ just for that purpose, when I do not want to carry a heavy camera.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom