M. Zukio 14-42 II Manual focus

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by scs217, Dec 21, 2012.

1. scs217

scs217 Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    Does anybody have tips for using the kit lens included in the E-PL2 in manual focus mode? I find it very difficult to use by the focus ring without any tactile feedback or focus range on the lens.

2. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    I'm not a great fan of manual focus with modern (m4/3) lenses. As you say, the focus-by-wire mechanism makes it hard to accurately assess. The only general comment I would make is that I find the EVF indispensable for any form of AF, as it allows me to hold the camera stably when I magnify the important part of the frame to fine-tune focus.

Personally, I would avoid using MF on the kit lens, unless AF is letting you down. With the small AF point option, I almost never had that problem with the 14-42.
  3. scs217

scs217 Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    When I typically use MF I will use the 14x autofocus on a point and not worry shot to shot. All in all I really love my E-PL2 and the lens does a great job. I just wish the focus ring felt like a 35mm but I guess it can't be helped.
  4. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    I have the 14-42mm IIR, and have no issue using MF in low light.

Once you learn that focus by wire (FBW) focusing is speed sensitive, FBW is a great advantage over mechanical focus; turn the FBW quickly and the focus jumps, turn the FBW slowly and it's a fine focusing.

Now before anyone makes a comment that I probably don't have MF experiance, I have more than two decades using MF cameras, and I was also a projectionist which required regular focus tweaking.