M. Zuiko Digital ED 60mm f2.8 Macro

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by sailor15, May 6, 2013.

1. sailor15

sailor15 Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 28, 2012
    Could someone leave some simple instructions....I don't understand when it magnifies....what triggers this? What is the purpose? What settings are best? I am pleased with some of my pictures.....but I really don't know how to use the lens.

Thanks for your time

Sail mom
  2. zensu

zensu An Old Fool

Aug 8, 2012
    Alabama, USA
    The magnification refers to how close the focusing is, say you focus at 13.3" your magnification is a ratio of 1:4, you focus at 9.1" your magnification ratio is 1:2 or 1/2 life size. You can find a downloadable micro 60mm user guide in PDF format at Olympus website.
  3. juangrande

juangrande Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 2, 2012
    On some panasonic bodies, when your MF assist is turned on, the screen or EVF will magnify a portion of the screen (in the green box) 100% when you turn the focus ring. Is this what you mean?
  4. sailor15

sailor15 Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 28, 2012
    I am using omd em5.....and yes that square appears....thanks....I have the manual will read again...
  5. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    The lens doesn't have some magic 'magnify' mode. It's just that it allows you to focus sufficiently close such that the image on the sensor is the same as the subject you're photographing - that is, a 1:1 'magnification'. When the focus distance increases, the image on the sensor gets smaller, so the magnification reduces - to less than 1:1. Hope this helps!
  6. chonbhoy

chonbhoy Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 23, 2013
    Scottish Highlands
    What the above comment relates to is the scale on the lens which is your guide to the distance from the subject to the sensor in the camera which gives you 1:1, 1:2, 1:4 etc so for 1:1 (life size) that fills the frame your distance is 0.19 Metres which gives you a distance between the subject and the front of the lens roughly 0.08 Metres or 8 CM. Hope this helps.
  7. sailor15

sailor15 Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 28, 2012
    thanks for all your replies...I learn a lot on this website!