M.Zuiko Digital ED 150-400mm f/4.5 TC1.25X IS PRO Lens announced

L0n3Gr3yW0lf

Wall-Eeeeeeeeeeeeee
Real Name
Ovidiu
What is the bottom right switch for? It looks like sound on or off.
Focus confirmation sound. Useful with EE dot sight.
Just randomly remembered this because I wanted to reply but forgot: Yus, audio bipping for AF confirmation which makes this feature a brilliant idea for using the Olympus EE dot sight.
As a side note: OIympus PLEASE update with a 2nd version of the EE because it badly needs lock switches for adjusting the sight position, these bloody dials turn so easily I constantly knock off the position just by pulling out the damn thing out of it's own bag. At the moment I dialed in the sight to 280mm position and used scotch tape over the dials to keep them fixed.
Additional features they might wish to add: a storage slot for the camera Hotshoe cover, maybe they can add costume switches where you can save the position for different FL, that would make it more versatile and useful with zoom lenses and multiple lenses.

I started using it more and more when I got my Panasonic teleconverter, I couldn't have captures small birds in flight without it:
1594519249987.png
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

1594519547422.png

I couldn't have gotten Swallow mid-flight without the EE dot sight to keep a track on them in the sky.

1594519917683.png

I even managed to get a flock of yellow finches (I think) flight in early morning (picture unedited though).

Mike Wingate

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Mike Wingate
Is this a responsible post, or a fantasy wish list? Only another 17 pages to fill. Shame theatres have closed, and no Pantomime productions this season. This lens will be out soon, oh no it won’t, oh yes it will.

pake

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Teemu
Not sure I needed to know that.
Well... Not that many facts to write about on this topic so there's at least one - needed or not. :rolleyes:

And speaking of fantasies... I wonder if Olympus decided to go out with a bang: They'd release this lens for a mere $2500 just to p*ss off the competitors? Wouldn't that be great?
cartman.jpg

Darmok N Jalad

Temba, his aperture wide
If I must use my brain (seek shelter everyone!) then what I would think is that Olympus has long had this lens in the pipeline, with production commitments, parts in the supply chain, and R&D invested. At this point, actually selling the lens makes the most financial sense, since the biggest investment in it has already been made. NOT selling it would mean all of that investment is completely lost. If I’m JIP, I don’t want the company I’m looking to purchase assets and IP from to be throwing even more money away. To me, launching the lens seems like a given if they have already manufactured enough of them. The question, to me, would be, will there actually be any new products developed going forward, or will JIP simply keep the current lineup going, much like Sony keeps old bodies on the market for years and years. The A5100 has been on the market for 6 years, and they still sell it for over $500.

My other thought is, this deal is not completed, and I’m sure a lot can happen between now and the deadline. I’m not sure how it goes in Japan, but in the US, business deals typically require not just investor approval, but government approval. Olympus must operate today like they always have, or they risk being sued by investors or prosecuted by the government. No doubt a sale could mitigate some of this, but executives have been thrown in prison for misrepresenting the business to the detriment of the shareholders and the economy. Maybe I’m wrong, but I see this lens releasing, even if just for a limited time.

JonSnih

Mu-43 All-Pro
Funny enough the Canon RF 100-500mm f 4.5-71 is f 4.5 at 100mm and f 5.6 and 400mm and closes down fast to f 7.1 at 500mm so it’s almost the same specification as the EF 100-400mm with a sprinkle of 1.25x (more ore less) teleconverter built in at the long end just by zooming in.
The new one closes down quickly:
CL.PNG

Source:

Phocal

God
Well if that's true I won't be jumping on it... Sorry but there are limits. I'm not saying it's not worth that much... I'm not worth that much :p

It's what I expected, had hoped for something a bit lower at 8.5k.............but I had a feeling based on the price of the Canon and Nikon with the built in TC. You can't forget that Olympus is going to sell less of them but still have around the same R&D cost, so they have to charge more to start making a profit.

Reflector

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
It's what I expected, had hoped for something a bit lower at 8.5k.............but I had a feeling based on the price of the Canon and Nikon with the built in TC. You can't forget that Olympus is going to sell less of them but still have around the same R&D cost, so they have to charge more to start making a profit.
It seems to be 8.5k USD if you take off the VAT (see the number below). European prices are typically higher, so we'll have to wait and see what the actual US price is...

L0n3Gr3yW0lf

Wall-Eeeeeeeeeeeeee
Real Name
Ovidiu
Understandable but call me naive or foolish if you want (or Ishmael for thet matter :p) for hoping that its 4.000 £, I could have swallowed 5.000 £ if the reviews would praise it.
Of course this is all speculation still.

(PS. For me if the lens costs more then the price of Sony A9 or A7r III/IV AND the 200-600mm +TC then I can't justify myself buying it just because I have the E-M1 Mark III... Though I might have to buy a donkey or a Segway with the 35mm FF set)

RAH

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Rich
One thing that caught my ear in the video, is the zoom ring clutch. YES.
Finally, a way to satisfy those of us like me who want a light turning zoom ring, and others who want a stiffer turning zoom ring.
Too bad I don't shoot Canon.
Yes, but I have always wondered if the lock ring on the m43 Panasonic 100-400 lens (allowing you to lock it at any focal length, not just the minimum, which is the standard thing) is the cause of the stiffness of the zoom ring that most users complain about with that lens. Maybe a clutch ring would do it better, but be afraid! ;)

Mike Wingate

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Mike Wingate
Well, that could be an expensive lens. More dissapointment to come as there is another body and lens on the way. When? Cost?

JonSnih

Mu-43 All-Pro
It seems to be 8.5k USD if you take off the VAT (see the number below). European prices are typically higher, so we'll have to wait and see what the actual US price is...
250K CZK is roughly €9250 or £8000. The last month our Oly ambassador hinted slightly lower price - €7500. Maybe they will price it as a collector item?

Latest threads

Top Bottom