M.Zuiko Digital ED 150-400mm f/4.5 TC1.25X IS PRO Lens announced

RAH

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Rich
Now if you want a Micro Four Thirds lens similar to that there is one: Panasonic Leica 50-200mm F 2.8-4, it gives you the same focal range but in terms of Depth of Field it’s f 5.6 to f 8 but at half the weight of 655 grams and 66% of the size (13.2 cm long) and 66% of the price (1.500 £).
As I mentioned, a lot of APS-C shooters use that Canon 100-400 lens, so a PL 50-200 in no way gives as much reach.

I shouldn't have muddied the waters by mentioning the lens as being FF, especially because I usually just think in terms of APS-C vs m43. Canon APS-C is 1.6 crop factor, so it isn't all that much from m43. I was just saying that the Canon 100-400 is the type of lens that is normally pretty large by m43 standards, but compared to the new 150-400 Oly it is smaller, just by making it 4.5-5.6 instead of 4.5.

Brownie

Thread Killer Extraordinaire
Real Name
Tim
I would get that if it was at getOlympus.com, but B&H has no dog in that race. If that were the case, then it only costs them Panasonic sales today! B&H surely knows how strong GAS is among its customers, and they might be able to sell them both lenses with enough time. :D
It'll be interesting to see which other places announce it. Olympus may have advertising requirements for certain level dealers, could be a part of their floor planning. If other similarly sized dealers like Adorama, Ritz, and others follow suit, we'll have an educated guess.

mrjoemorgan

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Joe M
Hi Joe, yes we are stuck here due to Covid. That's the short answer.

The longer answer is that my wife and I are travelling the world on our motorcycle. We started in Alaska in June 2014. We reached Ushuaia, had a great trip to Antarctica, and were slowly making our way north to attend the Argentinian MotoGP race in April. We crossed the border from Chile to Argentina on the 5th March and arrived in Esquel, Chubut Province (Patagonia) on 9th March. Shortly after a full lockdown was put in place and we've been here since that time. Most businesses here are open now, including hairdressers and restaurants, but with safety measures in place. It's not possible to travel out of the town without a permit and travel between provinces is all but impossible. There are some flights that could take us home (UK) via Europe but we chose early on not to return home. Our short term hope is that, at a minimum, we can continue our exploration of Argentina (although we couldn't ride anywhere right now due to snow conditions).

Fingers crossed things open up and you can continue your travels. I was 3 weeks into a 6-month trip and decided to abandon ship and come back to the UK. I'll return in January to re-do my trip I think.

RS86

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Riku
As I mentioned, a lot of APS-C shooters use that Canon 100-400 lens, so a PL 50-200 in no way gives as much reach.

I shouldn't have muddied the waters by mentioning the lens as being FF, especially because I usually just think in terms of APS-C vs m43. Canon APS-C is 1.6 crop factor, so it isn't all that much from m43. I was just saying that the Canon 100-400 is the type of lens that is normally pretty large by m43 standards, but compared to the new 150-400 Oly it is smaller, just by making it 4.5-5.6 instead of 4.5.

Well for APS-C it's not the same reach as PL 50-200mm, but FF 640mm is not 800mm either, if you compare to the Oly Pro. Compared to the PL that Canon is ~1 kg heavier, ~6 cm longer and ~2 cm wider. 400 € more expensive. Great lens for sure, surprisingly good package, although not mirrorless?

Mike Wingate

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Mike Wingate
Well this is nice. First announced in January 2019. Delayed. Now shipping this winter. No price, no specs, different photos, details differ. Waiting. Again.

L0n3Gr3yW0lf

Wall-Eeeeeeeeeeeeee
Real Name
Ovidiu

Sorry but again it comes down to what your expectations are to get the “same” range, is it the focal length of 100-400mm (35mm FF) or 160-565mm (APS-C) or is it the depth of field of f 4.5-5.6 (35mm FF) or f 5-6.3 (give or take, I, not good with thirds and quarters of light stops) (APS-C).
Both Olympus and Panasonic have somewhat similar lenses like 75-300mm f 4.8-6.7 or the 100-300mm f 4-5.6 but these are mid range lenses at best in terms of IQ and performance.
I have the Panasonic Leica 50-200mm f 2.8-4 and use it on daily basis with the 1.4x Teleconverter so I get 150-560mm f 4-5.6 (With depth of field of f 8-11).

As for Olympus 150-400mm f 4.5 Pro or even the Panasonic Leica 100-400mm f 4-6.3 and the upcoming Olympus 100-400mm f 5-6.3 for a matter of fact do not have “equivalent” options on larger sensor size (either be it in focal range similar to the crop factor or depth of field or ligh gathering capabilities):
60E838D6-32FD-461F-BD99-27EFC3BBE4E5.jpeg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

3FFAFE39-F84F-4F75-939F-6DA289F4A4E7.jpeg

Neither Canon nor Nikon have a native 300 to 800mm zoom lens be it f 2.8 or f 4 or f 5.6 or the “equivalent” f 9 that the Olympus Pro lens would be. If such a lens existed how affordable would it be given the cost of their longest zoom costs 1.200 £ and 1.900 £ respectively. And how heavy and big would it be?
Sure, you can put a 1.4x or even 2X teleconverter but DSLR or Any PDAF Base technology will struggle hard past f 8.

Thats not to say you can’t get that 300-800mm reach on 35mm FF:
B99864FB-3EE1-4022-8F3E-F2A69036344A.jpeg

Have you seen how big those Sigma lenses are?

Last edited:

RAH

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Rich
Sorry but again it comes down to what your expectations are to get the “same” range, is it the focal length of 100-400mm (35mm FF) or 160-565mm (APS-C)
400 x 1.6 = 640, not 565. It's not 800, I agree.

Also, I should think that the resolution (MPs) of the sensor would be a factor here. I mean, Canon's latest APS-C cameras are 32MP. So a 100-400mm lens (160-640 equiv) would have more reach than a 100-400 or 150-400 on a 20MP m43 camera.

I'm sure your PL50-200 plus converter gives fine results, but it just doesn't seem like enough reach to me. I mean, I am pretty unable to get as close to wildlife as some are.

L0n3Gr3yW0lf

Wall-Eeeeeeeeeeeeee
Real Name
Ovidiu
400 x 1.6 = 640, not 565. It's not 800, I agree.

Also, I should think that the resolution (MPs) of the sensor would be a factor here. I mean, Canon's latest APS-C cameras are 32MP. So a 100-400mm lens (160-640 equiv) would have more reach than a 100-400 or 150-400 on a 20MP m43 camera.

I'm sure your PL50-200 plus converter gives fine results, but it just doesn't seem like enough reach to me. I mean, I am pretty unable to get as close to wildlife as some are.
Oh, sorry about my bad math ^ _ ^ (now I know I will never be a NASA Rocket Scientist, though they did manage to program a lunar lander in feet and then try to land it in meters and buried the poor thing :p ).

Canon has higher Megapickles APS-C camera as well as Full Frame but those have their own can of worms of issues as well. The higher the MP count on the APS-C will put a bigger strain on the level of IQ and design a 35mm FF lens has to be to give you a similar result to native sensor size camera.
If you prefer DSLR then yes, you can put the EF 100-400mm f 4.5-5.6 lens in a 7D II or 90D for more reach. But for mirrorless Canon EOS-M cannot use the RF lenses and even though you can use EF with adapter you lose at lease some AF performance.
At least Nikon Z and Sony E are more compatible if you want to mix and match 35mm FF Z and FE lenses to Z50 and A6xxx. So have a look if Z50 or A6xxx fits your needs for wildlife.
Or you can pay the big £££ for the 45 MP Canon R5, 61 MO Sony A7R IV, 47 MP Nikon Z7 to get more cropping power ... but those have another set of fans of worms for wildlife :p

Life is just not ideal or fair is it?
(PS. I’m really enjoying this conversation by the way. I hope i don’t sound to defensive or debating.)

RS86

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Riku
(PS. I’m really enjoying this conversation by the way. I hope i don’t sound to defensive or debating.)

What's wrong with debating? ? The ideal is to learn from other perspectives, while respecting the certain "rules" of debate.

L0n3Gr3yW0lf

Wall-Eeeeeeeeeeeeee
Real Name
Ovidiu
What's wrong with debating? ? The ideal is to learn from other perspectives, while respecting the certain "rules" of debate.
I would say there’s nothing wrong with debating ... the internet is a bit of a dangerous place for debating even if it’s exchange of ideas and opinions. While this place is one of the most welcoming and heartwarming community I met ... other places like DPRewvie forums or comment sections on rumour site and YouTube can be like walking through a land mine field buttnaked with a cup of “my 2 cents” in it jiggling around. :)

Funny thing is this community, forum specifically but Micro Four Thirds as well, is what kept me from jumping system as a significant consideration in my decision to get the Olympus OM-D E-M2 Mark III. There’s something about “us” that we look at the bigger 4:3 picture instead of pull out the 500% magnification Pixel Peel glass and don’t carry the luggage of “Professional FF look” and “If it’s not the biggest size in the room you are not important enough” :p

RS86

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Riku
I would say there’s nothing wrong with debating ... the internet is a bit of a dangerous place for debating even if it’s exchange of ideas and opinions. While this place is one of the most welcoming and heartwarming community I met ... other places like DPRewvie forums or comment sections on rumour site and YouTube can be like walking through a land mine field buttnaked with a cup of “my 2 cents” in it jiggling around. :)

Funny thing is this community, forum specifically but Micro Four Thirds as well, is what kept me from jumping system as a significant consideration in my decision to get the Olympus OM-D E-M2 Mark III. There’s something about “us” that we look at the bigger 4:3 picture instead of pull out the 500% magnification Pixel Peel glass and don’t carry the luggage of “Professional FF look” and “If it’s not the biggest size in the room you are not important enough” :p

Yeah, I definitely agree, well said. And a bit of offtopic, but now that you mentioned 4:3 ratio, I really love it (and don't like to crop unnecessarily) so basically there are no other options for me (I don't want MF). It's better for Instagram too.

Actually I just watched James Popsys (M43 landscape photographer, great videos) video where he said he likes 4:3 for landscapes more than 3:2, eventhough that is not the usual view I think.

L0n3Gr3yW0lf

Wall-Eeeeeeeeeeeeee
Real Name
Ovidiu
Yeah, I definitely agree, well said. And a bit of offtopic, but now that you mentioned 4:3 ratio, I really love it (and don't like to crop unnecessarily) so basically there are no other options for me (I don't want MF). It's better for Instagram too.

Actually I just watched James Popsys (M43 landscape photographer, great videos) video where he said he likes 4:3 for landscapes more than 3:2, eventhough that is not the usual view I think.
I got used to 4:3 as well, feels more natural but it’s going to be counter intuitive even after 27 years since it’s inception for Four and Micro Four Thirds because print medium is most commonly made for 3:2 and out digital screens are dominated by 16:9 on TVs and computers and 18:9 on mobile devices.
Tidbit: 4:3 uses more of the lenses real estate glass coverage then 3:2. I’m not lens designer but mathematically should use a better vertical per horizontal angle of a circle. (If anyone who has optical expertise I would like to know if this aspect, no pun intended, makes designing the lenses easier or better IQ or maybe cheaper ... though I’m sure it’s more effective).
PS. I watch James’s videos too, subscribed to his British humour and artistic sensibilities about a year ago, delightful chap :) (I also share his allergy for tripods and focus on landscape on the go, it gave me the confidence to believe I’m not a lunatic for shooting f 2.8 or f 4 off the tripod when YouTube is filled with landscape recommendations of f 11 or smaller, tripod mandatory)

Last edited:

L0n3Gr3yW0lf

Wall-Eeeeeeeeeeeeee
Real Name
Ovidiu
"Great White Shark" ?
My Karen (E-M1 Mark III) just finished her dating profile on MyOlympus:
A very young and fast camera looking for a big and girth lens that looks and feel professional, preferably Caucasian with blue eye, that can reach to the Moon and a bit extra to from time to time with a flick of a switch. I need it to be tough, manly, be fast and accurate, with O.I.S. to keep me stable on my feet, to know when to limit and when to go for infinity, to be bright in my lonely dark days.
Money is no objection ... my dad will pay for it (with his life).

RS86

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Riku
I got used to 4:3 as well, feels more natural but it’s going to be counter intuitive even after 27 years since it’s inception for Four and Micro Four Thirds because print medium is most commonly made for 3:2 and out digital screens are dominated by 16:9 on TVs and computers and 18:9 on mobile devices.
Tidbit: 4:3 uses more of the lenses real estate glass coverage then 3:2. I’m not lens designer but mathematically should use a better vertical per horizontal angle of a circle. (If anyone who has optical expertise I would like to know if this aspect, no pun intended, makes designing the lenses easier or better IQ or maybe cheaper ... though I’m sure it’s more effective).
PS. I watch James’s videos too, subscribed to his British humour and artificial sensibilities about a year ago, delightful chap :) (I also share his allergy for tripods and focus on landscape on the go, it gave me the confidence to believe I’m not a lunatic for shooting f 2.8 or f 4 off the tripod when YouTube is filled with landscape recommendations of f 11 or smaller, tripod mandatory)

He is a funny guy with quality videos & photos and great tips, not the basic gear review stuff. And I also like to photograph in similar ways, eventhough I mostly do macro currently.

You are right about TV's and screens, but like I said, for Instagram 4:3 seems better as people don't use a smartphone in horizontal way unless watching videos.

On printing the 40cm x 30cm and 80cm x 60cm is found easily even on the biggest companies in Finland. But I think the 60 cm x 45 cm is pretty optimal and for that I found a nice person & small company who can do it for pretty competitive prices.

Last edited:

hoggdoc

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Wayne
Wow four pages of discussion on weight, size and price on a lens that in all likelihood will never be available for sale.

Folks put your thinking caps on, ask yourself why would a company release a product like this, or for that matter any new products, after announcing the sale of their camera business. At this point if the sale is real Olympus would be busy closing things down and organizing their exit.

L0n3Gr3yW0lf

Wall-Eeeeeeeeeeeeee
Real Name
Ovidiu
Wow four pages of discussion on weight, size and price on a lens that in all likelihood will never be available for sale.

Folks put your thinking caps on, ask yourself why would a company release a product like this, or for that matter any new products, after announcing the sale of their camera business. At this point if the sale is real Olympus would be busy closing things down and organizing their exit.
Because they need to use it as leverage to get the maximum value for their division when they sell it to JIP. The R&D is already paid for, the testing was done, the production set up. They did most of the work so why not make the last step.
The reason they postpone it is again to put it as leverage for the sale this September and to coincide with the E-M1X firmware release.
Not selling this lens and scrapping everything completely is more expensive then not trying to recover some of the investment back.

It would be more doubtful about the 8-25mm f 4 Pro and the macro lens since we never seen the lens and thr other one doesn't even have confirmed specifications.

pake

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Teemu

If we're accurate, it's not a sale - it's a divestiture. :p

Phocal

God

a week ago I may have been inclined to think you are correct. But with B&H now putting it on their site tells me it is coming.

Latest threads

Top Bottom