M.Zuiko Digital ED 150-400mm f/4.5 TC1.25X IS PRO Lens announced

stevedo

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Steve Douglas
Did you get stuck there due to COVID? I was there in March and decided to get myself home.
Hi Joe, yes we are stuck here due to Covid. That's the short answer.

The longer answer is that my wife and I are travelling the world on our motorcycle. We started in Alaska in June 2014. We reached Ushuaia, had a great trip to Antarctica, and were slowly making our way north to attend the Argentinian MotoGP race in April. We crossed the border from Chile to Argentina on the 5th March and arrived in Esquel, Chubut Province (Patagonia) on 9th March. Shortly after a full lockdown was put in place and we've been here since that time. Most businesses here are open now, including hairdressers and restaurants, but with safety measures in place. It's not possible to travel out of the town without a permit and travel between provinces is all but impossible. There are some flights that could take us home (UK) via Europe but we chose early on not to return home. Our short term hope is that, at a minimum, we can continue our exploration of Argentina (although we couldn't ride anywhere right now due to snow conditions).

Carbonman

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Graham
Not as huge as I might have expected. The 300mm has the lens hood retracted I presume (I’ve never seen one in the flesh)?
Yes, the 300mm lens hood is retracted.
As much as this new zoom lens automatically incites gear lust, I can't see hauling this heavy lens around. I especially can't see hauling this lens and a tripod around.

Last edited:

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Just got an email from Adorama
Canon RF 100-500/4.5-7.1 L
for $2,700

Yes, not as much reach, it would need to be a FF 300-800, but the focal length is similar. And it is a L series lens.

update: Scratch the comparision. The Canon lens is a VARIABLE aperture f/4.5-7.1 lens, not a FIXED aperture as the Olympus 150-400/4.5 is.
That would account in large part for the lower size, weight and cost of the Canon lens, vs. a fixed aperture lens.

Last edited:

Phocal

Mu-43 Legend
Just got an email from Adorama
Canon RF 100-500/4.5-7.1 L
for $2,700

Yes, not as much reach, it would need to be a FF 300-800, but the focal length is similar. And it is a L series lens.
Not really sure what you are getting at. This lens is nothing like the Olympus lens other than a somewhat similar focal range. The Canon 200-400 or Nikon 180-400 with the built in TC's are more comparable with respects to size, weight and price.

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Not really sure what you are getting at. This lens is nothing like the Olympus lens other than a somewhat similar focal range. The Canon 200-400 or Nikon 180-400 with the built in TC's are more comparable with respects to size, weight and price.
Just a price comparison.
And yes, I agree, complexity in design will raise the price.
But it makes me think that the price would be lower without the complexity of the built in tele-converter, especially since it is only 1.25x. Though the TC is an alternate way to extend the reach to 500mm, than the zoom optics.
Either way, it is outside of my budget.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom