1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

M.ZUIKO DIGITAL 14-42mm Mk1 vs Mk2

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Graham_of_Rainham, Jan 25, 2011.

1. Graham_of_Rainham

Graham_of_Rainham Mu-43 Regular

Feb 16, 2010
    Simple question, sorry if it's already been asked :rolleyes:

Is the M.ZUIKO DIGITAL 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II Optically better than the Mk1

As I don't do movies those advances are of little interest to me. However I do like to have a Lens hood on my lenses, and at the moment I have a round rubber one on the Mk1.

As the Mk2 has a square lens hood the front elements can't rotate so there is an additional advantage for use of filters.

If the optical quality has improved then maybe it's worth updating

2. Spuff

Spuff Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 5, 2010
    Berkshire, UK.
    The optical question is my thought too.
    The number of people who aren't Olympus employees with the version 2 is probably still small and of those most probably won't have both lenses. We might have to wait for it to be officially out before there's a direct shoot out review.
    I think the Kirk person's blog write up said there was no difference in image quality between the EPL1 and 2.

3. ill_dawg

ill_dawg Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2010
    Dunno about the optics, but people seem to be saying that the af is fast on the mk2. That's not how I would describe the af on the mk1. If the af is really faster, and the fisheye adapter turns out to be any good (and priced reasonably), I might have to switch.

The other thing to think about is the wobble. The mk1 has that wobbly front element, which could produce some of that blur people have talked about at some shutter speeds. The mk2 is a lot more solid-looking, and should not suffer from that problem. Even if the glass is the same, a sturdier lens should deliver the goods more often.

Just my unconfirmed ideas and opinions.

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk

4. andyw

andyw Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 27, 2010
    Surrey. UK
    I have the 14-42 MkII and all i can say is that on both the E-PL2 and E-P1 it is surprisingly sharp and AF is very fast, almost that of the GF-1. I would also say that the MkII has better IQ than the Mk1. Saying this i can't compare as i don't have a GF1 or Mk1 lens although i have had in the past.

• Like Like x 2
  5. saxshooter

saxshooter Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 26, 2011
    I updated the firmware on my E-PL1 and my Mark I 14-42mm lens seems to nail the autofocus faster.

• Like Like x 1
  6. andyw

andyw Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 27, 2010
    Surrey. UK
    I think this is something people forget to do. My E-P1 is now very fast!!

7. Graham_of_Rainham

Feb 16, 2010
    When the E-5 came out I borrowed one for an hour or so and did some comparison shots with the E-PL1 using the 14-35 f/2.0 lens and the 14-42 Mk1 I was very impressed with the IQ from the 14-42 in comparison to the 14-35 on both cameras

I will probably wait for the dust to settle on the E-PL2 and put it on my Christmas list :biggrin:

Thanks guys

8. evolution921

evolution921 New to Mu-43

Nov 17, 2010
    I have E-PL1, but doesn't like the feel of the MK1 lens. However, I like the smoothness of the MK2 14-45mm when I was playing around with it in the store.

9. redhawk

redhawk New to Mu-43

Feb 20, 2011
    New York, NY
    I might be inclined to upgrade because I'm not the biggest fan of the ergonomics and aesthetics of the original 14-42 but I can't fault its optical performance. I'm quite impressed with it actually. Having owned several mediocre kit lenses bundled with various D/SLRs over the years, the performance of this little champ is a breath of fresh air. It's not faultless of course but it is thoroughly adequate. I am eager to check out the MkII in person but I'm not sure that its few upgrades will be worth the trouble of purchasing a new one.

10. icase81

icase81 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 22, 2011
    Philly, PA
    Has anyone had issues updating the LENS firmware to 1.1? Its listed as an upgrade on the support site for the lens, but when I run the Oly Updater, it says 1.0 is on my lens, and that no updates are available.

11. mauve

mauve Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2010
    Paris, France
    Straight from the horse's mouth :

"The firmware for M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 L differs from the one for M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 14-42mm F3.5-5.6.
    The latest version for M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 L is version 1.0. Firmware update is not required. "

Chances are you have the 'light' MkI version, sold with the e-pl1 (plastic mount instead of metal).

see Joint update service for OLYMPUS E-SYSTEM - OLYMPUS Digital Camera

12. dyrmaker83

dyrmaker83 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 19, 2011
    Washington, DC
    Mike
    I've seen some mention of a new square lens hood for the MkII version, but the Olympus site specs don't mention this in the "box contents" - yet they show a picture of it on the E-PL2 page. Can anyone verify if this is true?

Google (or maybe just I) can't seem to find a lens hood for the m4/3 14-42mm, just the 4/3 version.

13. icase81

icase81 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 22, 2011
    Philly, PA

I do. Thanks for the info.

14. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010
  15. redhawk

redhawk New to Mu-43

Feb 20, 2011
    New York, NY
    There is, indeed, no dedicated lens hood for the 14-42 MkI. You can screw something on the front but I think it's a bit futile. The last thing I want to do is make it longer.

I went to the E-PL2 page and didn't see the square/rectangular hood. Can someone link it?

16. Spuff

Spuff Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 5, 2010
    Berkshire, UK.
    I bought a cheap rubber folding one for my EPL1 kit lens. It stays on there all the time folded up and adds therefore no extra length when folded and no extra bulk (except a negligible extra width). In terms of 'build quaility' there is nothing wrong with it.
    I haven't had need to use it yet though.

17. dyrmaker83

dyrmaker83 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 19, 2011
    Washington, DC
    Mike
    After a long round of interneting last night I realized this, although I imagine Olympus will sell it soon enough (likely at a premium) and a knock-off version will come from China via ebay.

I did find that the MkII has a different thread diameter of 37mm. And one guy, can't find his blog, suggests using cheap UV filter rings with the glass removed - admittedly with minimal flare prevention and protection, but better than nothing and not adding much length to the lens. I found a cheap Japan-made 37mm UV filter on ebay for $2 and will give it a try.

EDIT: This shows a pretty clear indication that thin hoods/filter/step rings do nothing for image quality;

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1041&message=37205929&changemode=1

• Like Like x 1
  18. LovinTheEP2

LovinTheEP2 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 15, 2011
    Toronto
    Just tried out the Mk II vs. Mk I today at my local camera shop.

All i can say is wow. Significant improvement.

1. Focus Hunting reduced significantly. Nails focus much much faster.
    2. Build quality significant higher and much quieter.
    3. Smaller collapsed length.
    4. Better options (wide angle converter).

All in all, I don't see a signle reason why to get the Mk I version if it's option to get either one.

Predicted kit for me: MK II 14-42 + 11mm wide convertor, Pana 20, Oly 40-150. Now only if I could find a 2x high quality teleconvertor to strap on the end of the 40-150..

• Like Like x 1
  19. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    I have posted SLRgear's review here:

https://www.mu-43.com/f38/slrgears-review-oly-14-42mm-mk-ii-9752/

At the end of their review, they comment that the new lens is better at the wide end than the old lens. However, they do comment that it probably isn't good enough, optically, to update from the old to the new one. I'm curious to know if the focusing is better with the new lens on the E-P1. Some of the reviews I've seen have put it on an E-P2 or and E-PL1, but not an E-P1, which uses a slightly different focus process.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Graham_of_Rainham

Feb 16, 2010