M Zuiko Digital 14-42 Vs Soligor M42 Wide 28mm 2.8

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by bball12, May 17, 2012.

1. bball12

bball12 New to Mu-43

May 15, 2012
    Hi Everyone,

I am new to photography, but I love to learn.

I have both the M Zuiko kit lens and a m42 soligor 28mm 2.8.

I am wondering if the M Zuiko is also a wide angle lens like the Soligor? Taking out the aspect of AF in the Zuiko, is the Zuiko a better than the Soligor in terms of optics?

I still have not realized the full use of the Zuiko, so far I have noticed that it is not a strong performer in low light conditions compared to the Soligor.

Thanks for your feedback!

2. Declan97

Declan97 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 3, 2012
    Padang, Indonesia
    I also new using mft 14-42 msc 2nd version came with epl2,I found it performed great.

For wide this 14 is absolutely wider than your 28prime but you wanna try to test on the 28fl to check the result

Sent from my GT-I9100 using EP-L 2

3. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Multiply the focal length by 2 to get the '35 mm equivalent'. Focal length is a physical property and unrelated to the size of the sensor per se.

Translated into '35mm film'/'full frame' terms, this is how I classify focal lengths:

Fisheye: non-rectilinear (straight lines not straight), usually 15mm. Special case
    Ultrawide: focal length below 24mm
    Wide: focal length 24 to 35mm
    Normal: focal length 35 to 70mm
    Telephoto: everything longer

It's a gradual scale, but that's roughly where it ends up. Your 28mm lens is firmly a 'normal' lens and nowhere near wide. Each mm of focal length has a significantly larger impact on how 'wide' the field of view is in the wide-angle range than in the telephoto range - the relative (percentage) difference is much more significant.

For example, in mu43 terms, there's a very noticeable difference between 12mm (24mm equivalent) and 14mm (28mm equivalent), even more so between 7mm (14mm eq) and 9mm - see the comparison threads between the ultra wide zooms (9-18 vs 7-14) to get a feel for this.

Now that your eyes have glazed over: if you want a fast (large aperture, meaning low F number), good low-light, wide-angle for mu43 you're best off getting one of the native autofocus lenses - Panny 14/2.5, Oly 12/2.0. Legacy ultra wide glass (which is what you need to get even moderately wide on a mu43 body) tends to be the most expensive stuff.

4. harrysue

harrysue Mu-43 Regular

Mar 12, 2011
    Since you have both of them, set the 14-42 to 28mm, face them off, and tell us. My money is on the Zuiko for a sharper image in good light. It's around f4.7 at 28mm. .

5. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    The value measured in mm is the focal length of the lens. The smaller the number, the wider the lens. The Soligor is prime lens with a fixed focal length of 28mm, but the Zuiko is a zoom lens that can vary from 14mm to 42mm. So the Zuiko is wider as long as you're using it from 14mm to 28mm.

Prime lenses are easier to make sharper than zoom lenses, but Soligor was not one of the higher-end glass makers who can keep up with modern optics. As harrysue says, set the m.Zuiko to 28mm and test them both out yourself, but you should find the m.Zuiko will give you better contrast with less flare.

The inverted value on your lens (ie, 1:xx or f/xx) is the maximum size of the aperture, measured in f-number. The smaller the f-number, the wider the aperture. The wider the aperture, the more light the lens can let in at a time for a faster shutter speed. This is of course necessary for low-light and action in low light.

The Soligor has a maximum aperture of f/2.8. The m.Zuiko has a maximum aperture of f/3.5-5.6. The Soligor therefore is much faster.

Basically, one full f-stop (not f-number) will allow you to double your shutter speed. A full f-stop would be one of the following: f/32, f/22, f/16, f/11, f/8, f/5.6, f/4, f/2.8, f/2, f/1.4, f/1. Each full stop will increase (smaller f-number) or decrease (larger f-number) your EV (Exposure Value) by 1.

So for instance, at 42mm your m.Zuiko is f/5.6. That's 2 stops slower than the f/2.8 aperture of your Soligor. That means that you can quadruple your shutter speed.

Shutter speed stops are measures like so: 1/4000s, 1/2000s, 1/500s, 1/250s, 1/125s, 1/60s, 1/30s, 1/15s, 1/8s, 1/4s, 1/2s, 1s. Each full stop will increase (slower shuter speed) or decrease (faster shutter speed) your EV by 1.

So for instance, if your Soligor was shooting at 1/30s at f/2.8, then your m.Zuiko would have to shoot at 1/8s at f/5.6 to get the same exposure. That makes a big difference in your ability to hand-hold the shot and also allows room for subject movement to create motion blur in your image.

• Like Like x 2