m.zuiko 9 -18 vs zuiko 9 -18 on the E-M5

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by chadnchady, Jul 10, 2012.

1. chadnchady

chadnchady New to Mu-43

May 14, 2010
    Hi there,

I own the E-M5 and is thinking of getting the 9 -18 wide angle zoom. But can't decide between the u/43 or 4/3 version.

With the 4/3 version I can pick one up for around $150 cheaper and my e-m5 came with the adapter.

Size is not really an issue for me as I plan to be taking tripodded night photography/landscape most of the time with it.

The slower auto focus speed 4/3 lens shouldn't be as much of an issue because I'm not using the lens for walkaround.

If anyone could provide any further insight to the above or better still have used the 4/3 9-18mm on a u/43 body or e-m5 that would great! Many thanks in advance!

2. FlyPenFly

FlyPenFly Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 15, 2011
    If you want to use a 4/3 wide, I would get the 11-22 which is F2.8 and weather sealed and sharper.

Otherwise, unless you already have a lot of 72mm filters, I think $150 is a small percentage of cost to the system price to pay to use a native lens with a big size advantage.

3. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    If size isn't an issue, get the 7-14 instead. It's a fantastic piece of glass.

4. I recently sold my 4/3 9-18mm as part of an ongoing cleanout of SLR gear so I haven't used it on my E-M5. I did use both it and my m4/3 9-18mm on a GH1 and E-P1 following which it was an easy decision to sell the 4/3 version. The difference in size is massive, even if you don't include the adapter. Focus speed on the 4/3 is slow and noisy with the lens going back and forwards before locking on, whereas the m4/3 version is very quick. Theoretically the 4/3 version should be sharper across the frame because it doesn't rely on software correction for distortion but theories don't always work in real life and I think this is one of them. If the 4/3 version had been better optically I would have considered keeping it but it just wasn't so I was happy to sell it.

5. chadnchady

chadnchady New to Mu-43

May 14, 2010
    thanks for the input!