'M. Zuiko 75mm ƒ1.8 Review'

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by RT_Panther, Nov 29, 2012.

1. dav1dz

dav1dz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    That is some review wow.

Looks like everyone in the lens review business just loves the 75/1.8.
  2. Omega

Omega Mu-43 Regular

Oct 3, 2012
    I bet the only thing wrong with the lens is the fact it doesn't come with a hood.
  3. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    IMHO, there's a lot of truth in your statement....My opinion is based upon the fact that my cheaper Leica 25mm DG Summilux ƒ1.8 (Panasonic) came with both a hood and pouch....
  4. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    The lens is just awesome. Melts my brain a bit to try to figure out the 150mm FoV, but just love the results.

I am not a big fan of the lens hood. The fact that it is not included and the mounting method.
  5. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    That combined with the ridiculous price tag they want for it.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. duvinclunk

duvinclunk Mu-43 Regular

Aug 21, 2012
    And in black. :biggrin:
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Zariell

Zariell Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 28, 2012
    Bountiful, UT
    Yup because we all know black lenses outperform silver ones, just like those pesky white Canon lenses would work so much better if they were black too... ;p
  8. atomic

atomic Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 3, 2011
    Don't worry. Olympus is sure to put out a black "special edition" 75mm for a few hundred extra. ;)
  9. yekimrd

yekimrd Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 14, 2012
    Cincinnati, OH
    At least you get the hood. :rofl:
  10. jap

jap Mu-43 Regular

Nov 27, 2012
    The lens could stand to use a hood and weather-sealing. For those photographers who need to operate somewhat in stealth mode (wildlife, street, photo-journal, or night photography) a matte black lens is better.
  11. zapatista

zapatista Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Denver, Colorado, USA
    There should also be green and desert camouflage versions too for military street photography.
    • Like Like x 2
  12. ssgreenley

ssgreenley Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 12, 2011
    And I'd like a purple one that comes inside a large Teddy Bear for getting children to smile; I mean this is a portrait lens, right?
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Shade

Shade Mu-43 Regular

May 30, 2012
    I think its a stellar lens, and boo on olympus as well for not including hoods in it..

One thing though, I wouldnt buy one because I am not comfortable shooting at that Focal Length..
  14. jap

jap Mu-43 Regular

Nov 27, 2012
    Unfortunately, that's a trend that Oly has been shifting to over time. Even back in the days of the OM system, while hoods were automatically provided for telephotos and tele-zooms, shorter zooms, standard, and wide angle lenses did not include hoods with the purchase price.

The lack of weather-sealing was surprising to me, since the inclusion of weather-sealing was one of the prime distinguishing characteristics separating a pro lens from a consumer lens. I have never really had to concern myself with weather elements with my lenses before. At least the new 60/2.8 macro, which is reportedly in the same stellar quality class as the 75/1.8, has weather-sealing.

Light reflecting off a shiny silver lens is not a very good idea for wildlife photographers because it can be an irritant at best or a cause for alarm at worst for your subjects. Similarly, shiny lenses can arouse undue interest for street/photo journalistic photography where often times the goal is for the photographer to be discreet.

If Oly ZD does, indeed, release a limited edition (what a ridiculous category!) 75/1.8, it should include weather-sealing, the hood, and a matte black finished version for those who need it.
  15. Zariell

Zariell Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 28, 2012
    Bountiful, UT
    You know for those that really seem to think that they will die without a black lens may I suggest a google search for LENS SKINS. While they don't have specific olympus lenses, it is easy to adapt one for use, won't mar the lens, and best of all you can have it in pink, purple, matte black, or whatever else suits your fancy. They have them at B&H.
  16. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I live in the telephoto range. I think 150mm is a good compromise between the old FF 135mm, 180mm/200mm focal length.
  17. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    A black lens is always sharper.
  18. hankbaskett

hankbaskett Mu-43 Regular

Aug 21, 2012
    A $5 roll of black electrical tape will take care of all your stealth photography needs without worrying about lobbying olympus for a black special edition lens.
  19. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    When applied with epoxy, it will add structural integrity as well.