'M. Zuiko 75mm ƒ1.8 Or Fuji x100?'

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by RT_Panther, Jul 7, 2012.

1. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    I can get a Fuji x100 with brown case for $1195 USD new or the M. Zuiko 75mm ƒ1.8 for the same price (once you include hood & filters).

Decisions...decisions...:redface:

2. 0dBm

0dBm Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 30, 2011
    Western United States
    From where? AAFES?

3. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Yep :smile:

4. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    I'd get the lens. (But having two OM-D's, I'm pretty well stocked up on cameras). Why do you have indecisions?

G

5. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    I'd be more inclined to get the X100

6. 0dBm

0dBm Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 30, 2011
    Western United States
    Hmmm. No tax when buying from AAFES. My father-in-law is a 50-year former military and federal civil servant with retiree benies. Hmmmm...:biggrin:

7. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    The lens looks awesome... just wonder how much I could possibly use that focal length. It would seem like it would be mostly sitting in the pouch (that I would have to buy :biggrin:) at my house.

The X100 always tempts me... the only reason I have held off is that I figured the E-M5 with 20/1.7 was too similar for me (FoV and IQ).

8. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    What I have discovered that for most photogs, the prime reason a lens doesn't get used is because ... it doesn't get used.

A friend was complaining that he was thinking of selling his 400mm because he doesn't use it. We were on our way to the Huntington Library for some snaps. So I said take the 400mm, he did and he walked away with some great looking stuff.

Lenses don't get used because of the photographer not the subjects. (Crappy lenses with crappy IQ notwithstanding.)

G

• Like Like x 1
  9. capodave

capodave Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 4, 2010
    Southern Cal
    Dave
    My feelings on both points Kyle.
    I have tried all 3 new Fujis.
    They are nice cameras, but I don't think they would get the same use as my Olys.

10. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    Have you considered buying used? A well cared for used X100 can be had for around $850-900 pretty consistently on ebay and forum sales. I have a hard time paying for cameras new, having seen how much they drop in price a few months or a year later.

Having said that - I think the choice is down to which *you* value more right now. The experience of the RF style X100 with it's fixed lens and OVF/EVF, or a super high quality portrait / moderate telephoto lens for your existing camera system. I'd say there's no question which is the better investment in practical terms - a lens that can be used on any m4/3 body will last you longer, and hold it's value much better for eventual resale. However, that doesn't necessarily mean it's going to be the most fun for you to get out and shoot with. I think there's something to be said for gear that inspires you to get out and make images, which is after all what it's all about. :smile:

• Like Like x 1
  11. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
  12. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    If you weren't considering the Fuji would you be trying to decide between a 17/2 (if a m4/3 were available) and 75mm? You would use them very differently.

I suggest a single system approach and would go for the 75. Or maybe wait for a fast high quality 17mm.

Fred

13. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
  14. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Tks for the input all!
    It's a tough choice for me because there are factors that tilt towards both sides of the equation.

The 75 would get most of its use at indoor events with my kids & the obvious portraits. The Fuji would be the camera that would be with me on a daily basis. (The impromptu luncheon, going away at work...promotion ceremony with no photographer...etc)

15. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    It would be hard to mount the X100 on your E-P3. Now when you upgrade your m4/3 camera, you lens will be useful for that.

The only reason I would not buy the 75mm is I don't use that focal length.

16. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Yes this is one of the perks - legally no taxes from your basic toothbrush up to the multi-thousand dollar home theater system. They also price match with local stores on hand inventory (but will not price match online items).

BTW, I salute your father-in-law for his years of service!

17. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    Isn't that what your m4/3 camera can do now? Throw a 17mm or 20mm on it and instant pocket camera, or at least a pocket camera as the X100 is.

18. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    Like the Voightlander f/0.95...

19. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    :biggrin:...
    Body-wise, I'm sticking with Olympus and the digital PEN form factor. This means no body upgrade for me until at the earliest, a digitial PEN is released with a different sensor than the current "tweaked 12mp" ones......

20. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    You still got two kidneys? Sell one, buy both. The economy needs you.

• Like Like x 2