'M. Zuiko 75-300 Review'

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by RT_Panther, Jul 16, 2011.

1. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
  2. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Y'know, I don't think my Zuiko 50-200mm SWD seems that much bigger on my E-PL2. It's a well balanced lens, and especially with the tripod mount (which I use as a wrist support), maybe even more wieldly than this slow 75-300mm. Not to knock this lens, which serves a good purpose, but if I'm going to cross that line I'd rather go for the big boy. I wonder if Olympus could come up with a more compact mid or super tele prime... which wouldn't require f/6.7, lol? Or even using the Zuiko 70-300mm f/4.0-5.6 would be a good compact option.

3. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    Honestly, I think this lens does deserve knocking. I just picked up the panny 100-300mm and for the money, I don't know an honest to goodness reason you'd pick the Olympus over the Panasonic. I used the Olympus 4/3 70-300mm on my e-pl1 last year and it wasn't terribly unwieldy - you need something to hold with a larger telephoto range. Take away the size and you lose stability. That is where the 75-300mm misses the mark.

I love that olympus has pushed the size envelope with their lenses, the 17mm is very small, the 2 new 12mm and 45mm lenses are very compact, and the 9-18mm is a work of genius being a quarter size of comparable aps-c lenses. Unfortunately this isn't necessary with a telephoto, and usability of the 75-300mm is severely crippled as a result. Tack on a 50% price premium for an inferior lens over the 100-300mm (which is not THAT much bigger, only a 1/2" on each dimension, and only about 3-4 oz heavier), and you a fail across the board IMO!

note: I just sold my Pentax mount sigma 120-400mm, which is pretty close in range to the panasonic 100-300mm - at 1/3 the weight and half the physical size, not to mention half the price, the 100-300mm is a real winner. I knocked the 100-300mm before it was released due to the zoom range and well, if you go back in the past 100-300mm f4-5.6 zooms were mediocre consumer products in the film era - however - the Panasonic is clearly well made and I would take back those comments if I knew where I posted them!

4. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    I tried them both & I'd rather have the Olympus. The Panasonic is so big, that I can just my DSLR 70-300 lens instead of the large Panasonic...:smile:

5. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    Unless I am mistaken, both the length and width of the panasonic are less than 1cm different...how is that significant? In the end either lens is a winner against apsc equivalents (meaning xxx-400mm lenses).

6. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    I had them both side-by-side in our local camera shop. The Panasonic 100-300 is distinctly larger than the M. Zuiko 75-300....The difference is quite obvious...

7. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    Specs from B&H:

Panasonic: Approx. 2.89 x 4.96", 520 grams - volume of this lens is 32.52 inches cubed.
    Olympus: Approx. 2.76 x 4.57", 430 grams - volume of this lens is 27.3 inches cubed.

I would guess the Oly also doesn't come with a hood - if the Panasonic had its' hood attached that would make it look even bigger. I would love to see these next to each other - I just don't see the difference in the specs!

I measured my lens and those dimensions are correct on the Panasonic (a couple of sites had slightly different numbers).

8. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    5 inches difference in cube is minimal to you?

Fact of the matter is that the in-lens stabilization makes all Panasonic lenses larger than Olympus...:smile:

9. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    If I make back to the store & if they still have both lenses in stock, I will gladly take a picture of them both.

IMHO, the difference in price doesn't make up for the size difference. I'd rather pay for the Olympus :smile:

BTW, on that day when I was comparing them both, I walked out with NONE but instead I walked out with the Leica/Panasonic 45mm MACRO...

10. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    RT_Panther is correct, the Panasonic 100-300 is quit a bit larger and heavier than the Olympus M75-300. An agency in the Pittsburgh area teamed up with an agency from the Tampa area to shoot the NHL Winter Classic this year. The group from Tampa brought up 2 Panasonic 100-300's and 1 Olympus 75-300 for trial. Both were tried during our "warm-up" prior to the game, both proved to be unacceptable. For some reason the Panny's seemed to have a back focus problem. The Olympus was just too slow aperture wise, though it did appear to be sharper than the Panny. The bodies we tried were a GH2, GF1, E-P2, and E-PL2. We didn't want to risk our paycheck's, so we ended up using DX and FF Canon's and Nikon's. Another thing about the m43 camera's that's makes them bad for fast action sports is the shutter or viewfinder blackout or slow response. The m43 camera's are nice for casual shooting or just walking about, but when you get down to serious business, the DX and FF camera's are the way to go.

11. Pan Korop

Pan Korop Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 31, 2011
    Phare Ouest
    Same here. Went on assignment to shoot motorbike action shots with Pan's 45-200. Tried two shots, and immediately ran back to fetch the FF with Sigma's 120-400. If I buy Oly's 45, my 90mm 1:1 brightline viewfinder will get back to work...

I really wish there was a fast-AF m43 version of Oly's 50-200...

12. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas

No debate from me here - I agree with you both...

13. Allan Ostling

Allan Ostling Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 24, 2010
    Phoenix, Arizona
    As far as I have been able to discover I am one of the very few who owns the M.Zuiko 75-300mm. I've posted sample photos here, and at GetDPI.

The lens is a treasure, and it is going to become even better on the OM-D with its enhanced high-ISO performance, and its 5-axis IS.

• Like Like x 1
  14. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    :2thumbs:

15. ssgreenley

ssgreenley Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 12, 2011
    Agreed! I'm another that chose to pay more to not have to lug around superfluous image stabilization. I recently took it to Jerusalem and was happy to discover I could take frame-filling photos of the dome of the rock from pretty much any spot in the city!

16. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    I use a Zuiko 70-300 on my E-pl3 or Ep2 for the few times I need that focal lenght and I'm happy with it.