1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

M.Zuiko 7-14mm f/2.8 Pro and 8mm fisheye f/1.8 Pro

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Mat - MirrorLessons, Feb 10, 2015.

1. Mat - MirrorLessons

Mat - MirrorLessons Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 10, 2013
    Turin
    • Like Like x 3
  2. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    Beautiful.
    I'm interested to see if the 7-14 will solve all of the purple stuff from newer sensors behind current wide zooms.

3. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I noticed in the video you mentioned the 7-14 focus. It looked like the front element moved significantly during focussing, will it be like this on the production one as well? I've never seen an AF lens move the front element that far!

4. Mat - MirrorLessons

Mat - MirrorLessons Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 10, 2013
    Turin
    The front lens moves when zooming in/out

• Like Like x 1
  5. stephography

stephography Mu-43 Regular

Sep 12, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Stephan
    Oddly enough I own an EM10 but haven't purchased a single Olympus branded lens. I have three PL lenses and I'm eagerly awaiting the release of the 7-14 to make it the first Oly lens I'll own!

6. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    Yes, it looks like screw on filters won't be an option.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Richella

Richella The Wandering Scotsman

Aug 21, 2011
    Kuala Lumpur
    Now I'm not so sure about the 7-14mm. I've been waiting for it to arrive to complete my lens line up but if I can't use my Lee Seven5 filters with it I'm going to be disappointed.

8. dornblaser

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    The Panasonic 7-14 has similar front element moment.

9. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I don't get the point of the f1.8 fisheye, but I think that 7-14 f2.8 is something a lot of people have been after. Hope it's not $2000.

10. dornblaser

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    It will be very interesting to see how the 7-14 is priced vs. the O12.

11. peppermonkey

peppermonkey Mu-43 Regular

May 20, 2013
    Toronto, Canada
    If the 7-14mm is priced comparably with Panny 7-14mm...would definitely be interested, though that would depend on how it compares optically from the Panny. Size wise, looks to be bigger but not as big as I thought it would be. Hmm.... Well, not that I can afford the Panny 7-14mm right now, let alone the Oly.

12. tkbslc

Higher grade zoom lenses wider than about 16mm equivalent usually end up with front elements like that to prevent vignetting and maintain edge sharpness.

They probably could have done a 8-16mm f2.8 that took filters, though.

• Like Like x 2
  13. SpecFoto

SpecFoto Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2012
    So Cal
    Jim
    Exactly. Who is this new lens intended for....landscape photogs mostly. And guess what, they use filters...... OK, so a circular polarizer is out with a ultra wide lens, but a ND and gradual ND's are not, they are essential imho. The production photos confirming the lack of a filter ring just made this lens a NO GO for me, and I was a prime candidate willing to spend top dollar for it. This is why I did not buy the excellent Nikon 14-28 f/2.8, but instead went with the 17-35mm f/2.8, because I could use filters.

Guess I am keeping my D800 for a serious landscape work a while longer.

14. tkbslc

Too bad that 8mm f1.8 isn't rectilinear. I think there are maybe a half dozen people who would really make use of a f1.8 fisheye. A 16mm equivalent fast and relatively compact prime on the other hand.....

15. Nam-in-Sonoma

Nam-in-Sonoma Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 23, 2012
    Penngrove, CA
    Nam
    The old Zuiko 7-14mm F4 did the same, except the displacement is not as important as on the video.

16. Ramsey

Ramsey Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2013
    Zagreb, Croatia
    Not a bad set of lenses to have...

17. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    These look much smaller than my ZD versions... I'm quite surprised given the significantly larger apertures.

Anyone know the dimensions? (I did notice the comparisons to the 12-40mm and 75mm, thanks)

re those who are saying a f1.8 fisheye isn't useful:
    a. real estate interiors without a tripod (although raising the ISO has usually worked OK for me)
    b. milky way pics

Barry

18. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Sigh - do we really need another non-filter-taking 7-14 lens to compete with the Pany version? I'd have jumped at an 8mm f2 or f2.8 prime that took filters. As it is, all we have is another wide zoom that is still missing an essential element for landscape shooters.

• Like Like x 2
  19. DigitalD

DigitalD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 10, 2014
    Miami
    David
    I was waiting for the 7-14mm for quite awhile until I found out it would have the same rounded front element like the Panny and decided against it. If it took filters I would be all over it but for me I mainly shoot with it outdoors so the f4 speed has not been an issue for me. Plus this lens will most definitely cost at least twice as much and is much larger then the Panny. Im glad I didn't wait because I have already put mine to good use :D

But if you have the funds, I bet both will be killer lenses. Oly has proven themselves time and time again that they know how to design good lenses. I have also seen some good filter solutions out and about. I saw one on Ebay that attaches to the back of the lens to fix the flare issues of the Panny. Im also a 3D designer so when I get some time I have been wanting to try my hand at a design to print that fits over the hood. Ive seen a few of those around but they seem bulkier then they need to be. We shall see :p

20. tanngrisnir3

tanngrisnir3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 18, 2011
    So just so it the old-fashioned way. Get a square FF or larger filter and hold it in front of the lens.

• Like Like x 1