M Zuiko 45mm 1.8 vs OM 50mm OOC JPG Comparison.

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by AdamThirtle, Jan 16, 2012.

1. AdamThirtle

AdamThirtle Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 10, 2011
    Newcastle, UK
    Just because we can! Nothing too technical about this, I just wanted to see the difference with the 2 lenses.

I'm sure some people have wondered about the difference out there, so I did a quick little test with the E-PM1.

First shot, OM 50mm 1.8, ISO 200
    50mm1.

Now for the 45mm, ISO 200.
    45mm.
    Really, really impressed at the rendering of the 45mm, really great.

I also shot a couple at 1600...once again, just because we can.
    50mm, may have missed focus slightly
    50mm1600.

45mm
    45mm1600.

2. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    That's quite a strong yellow cast on the 50mm. Is it radioactive?

3. AdamThirtle

Jun 10, 2011
    Newcastle, UK
    It was under pretty dim light, I think AWB just manages to work better with the digital lens.

4. harrysue

harrysue Mu-43 Regular

Mar 12, 2011
    Adam,

I did something similar (also unscientific and not well controlled) with a nondescript legacy 50mm, an Oly 14-42mm and the 45mm on my EPL1.

Here's the general scene. I took the same photo with all three lenses. Since it was a bright day, I set the apertures all to f5.6, which negated the 45's main advantage. It's also a naturally contrasty scene.
    [​IMG]

Here's three crops, all at 100X. Which of the three is the 45mm version? I looked hard at all three images and really didn't see much difference in the edges and center.
    [​IMG]

Not saying my other two lenses are as good as the 45mm, but in good light, they work OK.

5. AdamThirtle

Jun 10, 2011
    Newcastle, UK
    Is the 3rd the 45mm? Whichever lens it is, the 3rd image is significantly sharper and more detailed than the first 2 at 100%

6. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Agreed - if the 3rd is the 45mm I'm sold. Subtle differences, but definitely sharper.

7. harrysue

harrysue Mu-43 Regular

Mar 12, 2011
    Yes it is the third image. Kit zoom is the middle one.

The only negative I have on the 45mm is that the front ring has come off on me twice. Perhaps I should have left the blue tape in place.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    that probably would just make it worse as the tape hung off the side =P I'm contemplating gaffers tape. It's getting pretty annoying. Or leaving it off, but then it feels and looks incomplete, heh

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.